Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing 4 month post hip resurfacing

@Zelda how long has it been since your operation.
Nearly five weeks.
I'm not going back to work for a while though - I need my second hip replaced too and there doesn't seem any point in going back in between. I probably could do a little work from home at this point if I had that sort of job but going anywhere just tires me out just now!
 
@Zelda like you my right hip also needs doing but i could not contemplate doing it until the left feels more human. Considering your age did you have a Birmingham Hip (metal on metal) like me or a traditional hip replacement?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mald I have recently booked a Birmingham Hip resurfacing on my right hip. I probably won't get in for another 10 months though, due to working with a heavily booked surgeon. I'm interested in hearing about how your recovery progresses, hopefully things turn the corner for you soon and you start to see some improvements!
 
@mald
Not metal, ceramic and some funky new hardwearing plastic (which isn't that funky or new really but newer than what they used to use). My consultant said that, in his opinion, it was the best mix of tried and tested and long-lasting. I didn't get too into the different types, to be honest, because it seemed no matter what, I'd likely have to do this all again at some point - the medical profession don't like to give you guarantees!

I have to say, my new right hip is feeling more human than the old left one at the moment. I'm so glad I don't have to think about going back to work.
 
@Zelda no don't rush to go back. I think I went back too early, even if only for a few hours a day. I feel exhausted every day and ache like hell. Good job for pain killers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@confused newb yes I'll keep you posted. I'm nearing 7 weeks now post op. Still have groin, thigh and bottom of leg pain / spasms. I spent the first 5.5 weeks 'sleeping' in a recliner chair as I could not get comfortable in bed. Even now I struggle and end up in the chair early morning most days. Remain on crutches. See surgeon and physio this Thursday for a review. Hopefully they may have some answers for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Was age the only reason you went for the resurfacing rather than THR, @mald ?
 
@Zelda yes in a word. My surgeon recommended as could only 'guarantee' 15 years before revision. He said there will be more bone left to undertake a THR at that time. I'm also active (well I was) and I wanted to get back to sone activity post op. BHR is supposed to allow this more than THR (I'm told).


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Interesting. I didn't really consider resurfacing. I have a friend who had a really bad time with it and had to have THR very quickly after and I think my doctor had already established I'm not a great one for martial arts or any high impact activity when we were discussing the cause of my problems!
 
Just FYI - in the UK most surgeons will not consider resurfacing for female patients.
I wanted to get back to some activity post op. BHR is supposed to allow this more than THR (I'm told).
Bit of a myth. THR patients can be just as active as resurfacing patients.
 
What the reason for that @Jaycey? Is it something to do with the size of bones?
 
@Zelda @Jaycey only time will tell but as it stands I'm not overly excited with how things are going. But still early days I guess. Can't see me being active for a very long time at this rate.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's now 8 weeks since my op. I'm still suffering pain deep in the groin region. At night the pain radiates all the way down my leg to my ankle.
Surgeon suggest at my 6 week check up to give it another 6 weeks and if no improvement he will look at giving me some form of injection into the groin.
X-rays show the resurfaced joint looks fine. It's the internal tendons etc that aren't settling down. Anybody else experienced these symptoms 8 weeks post resurfacing?



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mald I am so sorry that your recovery is moving slowly. My op was THR (anterior) on Feb 11, so we are on the same timeline. However, resurfacing might have some recovery differences.

I am down to tramadol at night only.....maybe Tylenol once during the day. No job, but I am chasing after small kids....so quite a bit of activity. I am going to tag @Josephine for you. She asks some details about the location of recovery pain, and her skills in helping are 'out of this world'!!!
 
After what seemed like an eternity I have made excellent progress in the last month. From hobbling about with a crutch just 6 weeks ago, I am now cycling for 45 mins (12 miles) each day in the gym. Pain free although I do ache at night when I relax. I saw my surgeon last week for X-rays. He confirmed all was good and that any pain I have now is simply scar tissue repairing, but allow a full 12 months to be back to normality.
Two things I still cannot do are putting my socks on and doing my laces up - thankfully I have an understanding wife!!
My surgeon will see me again in 2 years to review my resurfaced hip and to also look at treating my right hip which is also affected by AVN.
Thanks to everybody who has offered advise throughout my journey.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mald ... you'll notice that I've merged all three of your recovery threads. We prefer to keep each member's recovery posts in a single thread. That way we can more easily go back and look at your history should we need to when providing advice. So, please be sure and post updates, questions and concerns in this thread and don't start a new one.

I'm glad to hear that you're making progress. Be sure to listen to your body. When you hurt, like those aches at night, it's letting you know that you pushed just a bit too hard. It's a signal to scale things back for a little while.
 
@mald I'm glad to hear that your recovery is progressing. I'm 7 years out from my left BHR and not had a single problem with it. It's almost as if f it never happened. Hoping that yours follows the same path :)

Kyle
 
@mald - great to hear that you're doing better. My wife's doing my socks & shoes following my BHR so I can empathize. Earlier you'd mentioned that in the UK BHR is limited to young males. When I was researching BHR prior to deciding on the procedure I discovered Kay Glynn, a 63 year old woman with bilateral BHRs, one of my fellow Iowans, and one of my recovery heros. Check this out:

 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom