I meant to ask if anyone heard of the mobile bearing piece causing instability after knee replacement? I tried to find some research on it, but I had no luck.
I meant to ask if anyone heard of the mobile bearing piece causing instability after knee replacement? I tried to find some research on it, but I had no luck.
Try this search
mobile bearing tka instability
And if it doesn't lead on page 1 of results to a couple of nih pubmed articles - 2004, 2016 - add the term nih to the search.
I think from my own reading that mobile bearing implants are usually used in more active younger patients. The idea is that they produce a more natural movement and less wear in an active person. Overall the studies seem to show they are as successful as TKRs with fixed bearings.
Interestingly, there was greater instability and a higher dislocation rate when they were used for partial knee replacements on the lateral side. I had wondered why my lateral unicompartmental knee replacement was an Oxford fixed lateral whereas most Oxford medial replacements are mobile bearing. Apparently the lateral ligaments are weaker and more prone to instability. So now most lateral replacements (rarer- but used mainly for knock kneed patients) are fixed bearing.
I remember you saying you were knock kneed, like me. I wonder if that is somehow linked to weaker ligaments?
Hi! I was thinking about that myself.My second surgery, which was a patella realignment, was unsuccessful because he didn't tighten the ligaments. He said he didn't think it was necessary, but after he saw that my knee cap was still malrotating he was going to do another constructive surgery addressing the ligament inbalance. I think he should have seen that on my MRI before the surgery. At that point I decided to see another surgeon in his group who specialized in knee replacements. I think my ligaments are still part of the problem but my doctor said they are balanced. I don't know how to argue that. He supposed to be the expert. After the 2 year anniversary of the last surgery, I will ask him if he would replace the mobile bearing with the fix bearing. I don't know if can correct it on my own with exercises. I am very afraid that he will say no and I am not sure where I can go from there.
I hope you don't need that revision. If you do... Our advice is always to seek another opinion, from a revision specialist, and one who is not affiliated with the previous ortho practices or even the hospitals they use.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.