Guest viewing is limited

MUA 3rd Year Anniversary

Friday was my 5 month birthday with my new knee. It's been a long haul and still not quite there for sure. Regardless, I can now do more than before surgery, like walk more than 7,000 steps in a day! Endurance for standing is still a struggle as well as sleeping but I see improvements every week!

I think the worse thing is I can't seem to have a lazy day anymore. New Knee makes ME MOVE.:heehee:
 
NewTo Me,
Happy 5 month birthday to your new knee, happy to hear you are doing well and continue to improve.
Thanks for coming back for an update!
 
Help!

5 and one half months post op

Dentist today 1 filling and 2 crown replacements and I guess I chomped my tongue while it was numb! I have a gouge in it, no stiches required but I am wondering if I should continue antibiotics? My OS on call number isn't working so I am ready to call on call PCP.

Any advice from the bonesmart nursing staff?
 
I'm sorry you hurt your tongue. Did you take antibiotics for the dental procedures?
I think you're being wise in calling your PCP.

Unless you have a pre-existing condition, such as diabetes or low resistance to infection, antibiotics are not necessary for dental work, as the bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually responsible for causing joint infections.
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
 
@Celle thanks so much..exactly what my OS office said. The pre-procedure amoxicillin was sufficient, 2 grams!

What was surprising was how painful that tongue bite is! I swear that night it hurt more THAN day 4 Post op TKR! Still not pleasant but I also am not worrying about my knee either. :heehee:
 
hey there New to Me; glad to have you with us. I am 3.5 weeks ltkr and I know what you are going through. just listen to bonesmart and you will be fine. I'm doing great and I have no PT at all. ice and elevation and rest are keys to rehab. just let your knee guide you. it will let you know how much is to much to fast. hope you have a great recovery
 
Sheltering in place (northern CA), 6 months post op, walking 10,000 steps a day, cooking more SLEEPING more :yahoo: doing good.

Everyone wash your hands! Hold each other virtually!
 
One year and a week ago I had my left knee replaced.

Today, I went down stairs in a reciprocal fashion, no pain, controlled landing on right foot rather than "falling" on right foot.

I CAN get on the floor in a "planned" manner...and back up.

Grand-nephews think my scar is cool and xrays cooler:heehee:

I feel great about getting my knee done, if I could only lose those SIP pounds:rotfl:.

For those of you in early days, hang in there, post often,ask for help!
 
@NewToMe,
Congratulations on your recovery, and getting your life back! And the cool scar and x rays.
Thanks for coming back and updating your success, members going through TKR will be encouraged by your recovery.
 
Hey people! Been a while since I posted. We retired and moved to the Portland, OR area. Lots of hills to climb means more muscle to build. I am happy to report the new knee continues to perform well in range and what I can do.

Question for forum...do you do MD recommendations? I obviously need one since we moved. I think I am supposed to get an xray at 3 yr post on.

Cheers!
 
@NewToMe Thanks for that great update! Best wishes in your new home!

You can check out the Surgeon Locator at the top of the page in the blue bar. If you still need help you can tag @Jamie

By the way, I added your latest post to your recovery thread, it’s always nice to have good long time reports in your original recovery thread.
 
Admin. Please attach to my feed, I can't remember how.

3 years ago I had a left TKA at the age of 56. Every year I can physically do more than the year before!

It sure did take a long time though! A Really long time!

ADLs, stretching and regular exercise has been key for me. Not running or weights but consistent walking or swimming.

I know if/when the right knee needs this work, I will likely not wait as long.

Cheers!
 
Thanks for the updated @NewToMe ! Glad you are still seeing progress!
 
Every year I can physically do more than the year before!
Thanks so much for sharing this! That fact you are still seeing improvement at 3 years is inspiring to those of us still in year one!
 
@benne68
I was surprised at how much more I can do compared to the previous year. But considering my knee was bad for years, so I had to relearn the correct way to walk, rebuild muscle memory, etc. It makes more sense. I actually started to run the bases (kinda) with grand nephew playing his version of baseball! The great thing was I did it without thinking about it because I was confident and recent bowling has proven I CAN lunge full weight on that leg.

Like I said. It. Took. A REALLY. Long. Time.
 
and recent bowling has proven I CAN lunge full weight on that leg.
I was never able to bowl like this again after my partial. I had to just carry my ball to the throw line and bend at the waist to throw the ball. I found this very annoying, and a bit embarrassing, as it looks like I don’t know how to bowl. This approach also slowed my ball speed, and lowered my average a bit.
 
Back
Top Bottom