THR 35 year old, THR revision surgery recovery

The app is really cool @Jamie. Thanks for the heads up.

And I find is so interesting how our surgeons are so different here in NZ. Only got a med cert for 6 weeks, guess I could have asked for more but seems the norm for NZ and hip replacement. I also have an uncemented hip but was never told to non weight bare post op. Thats only if the crack the femur. We also went straight to crutches, no frame as well.
 
Jamie,

Thanks, I do want you to know that I am not using one crutch yet. I have used it because my physical therapist said that I am doing so well, that I am ready. Then when I sent a video to my doc he said to stop that. I saw him a week ago, and he said that I can use one crutch now, but to only for short distances. I will remember what you said, and not try to go out of my house without two crutches. I had no idea that I was not supposed to put any weight on the operated leg. I will no longer do this at ALL.

THANKS JAMIE :-)
 
Surgeons differ in their protocols. I suggested the "no weight" to remain on the conservative side until you see your surgeon again in a few short weeks. As long as you're following his guidance, you should be fine. He's the one who knows you and your case well.

You are very early in this recovery process. These are the days when it's best to pamper yourself and let things heal. I'm glad you're going to take it easy. I was concerned when I read your first posts. We do have people sometimes who get so impatient with recovery that they set themselves back. We want you to be one of the success stories! Hang in there......it will get better with some time.
 
@AdamP1985 You've received plenty of excellent advice. I just wanted to say hello for a couple of reasons. Like you, I broke my femoral neck in 2013 (bike accident) and I was asked in the ER if I wanted pins or THR! I took the pins and they were successful. Over the ensuing 7 years I developed arthritis around the break. Also the joint geometry was never the same and caused some pain. I wasn't yet bone of bone but was heading toward a THR and decided to go for it during Covid while I had nothing else to do. While I'm a lot older then you are, 71, I'm very active and motivated. My pre-op routine included yoga 3x week, tandem cycling regularly and walking 10K steps a day. So in my recovery I too was pushing a bit hard and frustrated due to what turned out to be unfounded expectations. Once I eased off and alternated my walking and PT and took one day off a week I magically began to be able to walk without my cane. Just yesterday I walked 5000 steps. So I feel you. Be patient and easy on yourself. This is a major surgery even for a young person. The body has its own time. I've learned so much here that I wish I'd found earlier. Also, the OneStep app is excellent. It's fun and free PT.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom