Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR 3 weeks po - 3's a charm

Dr. OS Male did partials rt knee 2009; left 2010.
Having arthroscope's yearly due to these little arthritis chips or bits my body would seem to produce. OS had a name for it; common started with the letter G. These chip pieces would float around but mostly work their way into various painful parts of the knee; causing me great pain. Dr OS Male would always say "The prothesis looked good ie; no scratches, clean and tight."
Dr. OS Male provided CD's for all procedures.

New Dr. OS Female (2018) said looseness of prothesis would contribute to pain but no idea of when it happened.

No real "test" besides the x-ray to determine need of TKR, other than the obvious bone on bone; the advancement of my arthritis …….. and my constant complaints.
New Dr. OS Female only concerns she told me was the actual surgery is bit longer than a standard TKR. About an 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
 
Hi EMc , how’s the new knee doing? I am wondering if you had any leg issues with your partials? My leg has never been right since the second partial revision. It’s like the muscles or tendons have been pulled and don’t release. It’s awful. I still have knee pain & irritation, beyond frustrated. I had a cortisone shot Monday as he thinks it’s soft tissue damage. I have excellent bend and straight, but that’s about it. I am 7 months since revision partial. I hope your tkr is going well.
 
Jolease,
Thanks for sharing. I know your frustration. I went through same, except my pain was mainly on the other side of the partial. IE both my partials were on the interior of my knees, the pain was mainly on the outside portion; the part the partials were not covering. I kept bugging my OS about it, like I said yearly visits followed by another "clean out". I remember the first OS would regularly remind me of my arthritis which is taking over my joints. Maybe your partial is loose; remember that is what my new OS said.
Geez I don't know about a partial revision sounds redundant. I mean when I was pestering my original OS all I wanted was the partials removed and replaced with a full. Did you ask why you are not eligible for the TKR? Or maybe that is what you are trying to avoid?
I wish I started with the total knee replacement. Keep me posted I am interested in your progress and hoping for relief from your discomfort.
 
I hope this is the correct place to add my progress. Today was my original post op visit. Surgery was Sept. 13th. (My First TKR was June 4, 2018)
Thurs. Surgery; Friday home; Sunday visit from both PT and home health nurse. Blood leak started Sunday, with a little dollar size circle on the bandage. Called doc following Monday; replied as long as bandage not 'saturated' we are okay. Monday night I spring another leak, this one under original spot. Next morning I wake up with fully saturated bandage. Thank goodness it is now Tuesday and another visit from home nurse. She is a great nurse and I really appreciate her as well as her professionalism but when she say my bandage she looked as scared as I was. Removed bloody bandage, cleaned up, we both saw this little hole or slice. Nurse asks me to bend the knee. I thought she was crazy; but had to be done. I barely moved it - whoosh blood literally spurting out. Now I am panic mode. Nurse calls doc office they want me to come in; 2 1/2 hrs later. Yikes . Thank goodness nurse gets me patched up with new bandage. These waterproof bandages are able to hold in the blood. I get to doc office OS squeezes wound until no longer bleeding, patches me up with additional glue, sterry strips, bandage, ace bandage. The clincher I cannot bend my knee, OS puts me in a straight leg brace. Cannot move or take this horrible brace off for a week. I was miserable. Brace comes off incision is perfectly sealed. I am disappointed that now I am a week behind. My hip and ankle are killing me from that brace. I start PT asap. coupled with chiropractic work. I am on my way now.
My main reason for posting this is #1 there are things that go wrong that we could not prepare for or prevent.
#2 most important, I was really going crazy. I mean I was so angry with myself. Why was this happening? Logically I know I did nothing to be in this position, but I think being laid up, bed rest, not working and purposely isolating myself made things worse. I had two major surgeries within four (4) months. I am not as tough as I thought. These surgeries are a lot. They take a lot of us. My fourth knee surgery and all were completely different. I learned I have to be kinder to myself and share how I am feeling. Obviously this is the best place for quick cure.
I hope this helps someone in the same position.
 
Wow I am so sorry that happened to you. It almost sound like my original ltkr before my revision on sept6, 2018.
I've been in a nursing home/rehab since then and have not had any trouble like that just have issues where I cannot pick up my leg and get it into bed or walk up and down stairs but my revision was due to a recall on my original replacement as well as the wrong size implant was put in. Praying things get better for you
 
I wish I started with the total knee replacement.
Same here!

I’m so sorry about that brace! I’m sure one would wreak havoc on my back.

Did your Dr say why you had all that bleeding?

Hugs to you for better healing days now! :console2:
 
Yes at my post op surgeons assistant stated she failed to allow the glue time enough to dry before dressing. She also reminded me there is a dissolving stitch under the glue so there was never fear of the incision completely opening up.
 
I hope things are going better for you now.You have been through a lot in a few months.You are right about all surgeries being different.

I have had some incision issues this time around that are finally under control.:fingersx:

Hopefully things will be smooth sailing for both of going forward.:console2:
 
Thank you, and yes things are indeed better.
I am off all my meds. My walk is way better, the limp really affecting my hip - I am actually nice company again.
It sure is nice to check in here with all of you having similar experiences.:)
 
I am disappointed that now I am a week behind.
Don't worry about being in a brace for a week. I was in an immobilizer for over 6 weeks for each knee when I had my kneecaps removed. ROM came back with no problem. That week for your knee will give it the extra healing time it needs. Remember, there's no rush to get ROM. It comes back naturally without doing anything special, just using your knee in your normal living!
 
Just when things were getting good.
Walking down stairs, not rushing, great mood, concentrating on hips being straight per PTs instruction. Suddenly I am in almost squatting position chin almost touching knee. Note a position I have not been able to achieve. Yikes and Ouch! After thousands of choice swear words tried to stand. My knee felt limp.
Visited OS three days later x-rays showed prostheses fine bad strain and somehow jammed my hip.
Here I am a week and a day pain seems to be same and sometimes worse. I have both PT and chiropractor appt. this week.
Thoughts, experience or suggestions?
 
@EMc you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Are you icing your knee after this fall? Taking anything for the pain? I would not recommend PT if you are recovering from any injury.
 
@EMc OMG i can't imagine that pain or how you got yourself out of it. I am about 6 days behind you but not experienced anything like that to date.....hoping the chiropractor is able to help with your hip.
My best attempt would be lots of rest, elevation and ice to control swelling and pain like the early days for the knee. At worst it is maybe soft tissue damage.
So glad that nothing is dislodged, but must be really disheartening. Looking forward to hearing your outcome.
 
Thank you everybody for your advice and encouragement.
I will say I am officially BACK. Yahooo. Again did everything OS as well as @Jaycey suggested. I am back to PT and chiropractor. I have to work it if I want it.
 
Hi@Emc how’s your knee doing? My knee has gotten so much worse. I’m scheduled for a tkr in the near future but am so reluctant to have same surgeon do it. I am waiting for second opinion but I can’t wait another 6 months to get the surgery. I’m not sure what’s going on in my knee but it’s not good. The irritation, pain and burning is so bad I honestly want to chop my leg off. I’m wondering when you said you had things floating around and had cleanout how did you know? Last surgeons apt he really gave me nothing as to why I’m in this misery just x-rays look good. I’m so miserable and I know you went from partial to tkr. I pretty sure I have permanent nerve damage. My thigh also is driving me crazy. I just wish they would investigate why Things are the way they are before just doing a tkr. Thanks for listening been in a bad place lately and it’s been 14 months since first surgery and 10 month since the partial revision.
 
Jolease - You poor thing! Totally unexceptable. Here in US will throw a fit until get answers.
Meanwhile sounds crazy but I went "hippy", I was getting sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am doing CBD oil, Chiropractor, PT and acupuncture. Feeling good. Meanwhile I am praying for you
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@EMc.....I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Do be sure that you are coordinating your use of the CBD oil with your GP as you would any herbal medication.
 
@EMc just wondering how your knee is doing? I’m still waiting on second opinion. Was the revision harder to recover from than the partial?
 
Back
Top Bottom