3 weeks and walking without aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayS

I am three weeks out today. Since Saturday, I've been walking around the house un aided. I even went out to Walgreens yesterday without crutches. Is this going to slow my progress? It really doesn't hurt when I walk, as long as my pain meds are current. Also part of the time, I am walking heel to toe, and sometimes without a limp. It took longer last time, if I remember correctly. It truly feels great to be able to carry things from room to room without asking for help. :flwr:

Sure - why not? That's totally terrific!

Don't you feel you need a cane just for support when you go out, though? Not saying you should, just asking.

Hey Kay -sounds good! I think as long as your not in pain from it and dont limp while walking unaided then go for it!!:thmb:

Kay this is terrific! If you are feeling up to it by all means walk unaided. I agree with Jo though - for the first few weeks you might just want to carry a cane with you just in case you get tired. What you don't want is to start limping again due to being tired.

So glad you are doing well!

Josephine, We have 6 inches of snow. lol It's the first white Christmas here in some 40 years. I did take my crutches with me, but when I got there, I worried that the crutches might actually be more cumbersome, trying to avoid the many patches of ice. My daughter stood close the whole time. I do limp when I first get up from being seated. Also, by the end of the day, I'm limping more and want my crutches. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Jaycey, I was so nervous going into this surgery! It seems though, that in the last few days, I've turned a corner. I just don't want to get too confident and mess things up.

Kay I was a basket case before my surgery! Ask anyone on this forum. It was endless whining for me :th_heehee:.

Agree 100%. It's not bad to venture out and try new things. That's the only way you find the limits. But take the aid you might need just in case. I carried around a cane (outside only) up until my OS released me from the restrictions (at 6 weeks). After that time I would take the cane in the car - just in case. Eventually you will find you are just leaving it and then it goes up in the attic!

Hi Rebecca,
You're not far from me. I'm in Winston Salem. It sounds like we've been fortunate. I think I will get out my cane and take it with me for awhile, just in case.

I think I was pretty much walking without the cane at 3 or 4 weeks....... although when I really "went for a walk" to build my stamina (a mile or so around my flat neighborhood) I found that I needed the cane by the end of the walk or I would start limping.
As Rebecca mentions, I did take the cane with me some in public, mainly because the first time I went without, I attended my son's school concert, and in the lobby a little kid ran past me and pushed on my incision site as he ran past - ouch! The cane gave a signal to people to be more cautious near me.:th_heehee:
It's great you're doing so well! I was scared before my surgery, also - absolutely terrified, in fact!! - and was so surprised and pleased to have come through it as well as I did. I'm sure if I'd found Bonesmart before my surgery I would have been calmer!

I'll be curious to know where in North Carolina you're from also.... my husband is from about 35 miles out of Asheville, and we go there every year to see my in-laws.

Jaycee, I'm a wimp with pain so I would've been that way on here too. lol My OS released me to drive as long as I have no affects from the meds. Driving was a breeze due to it being my left hip. I have gotten lots of rest since I've had lots of help. (My oldest and her 4 kids moved in a few weeks before my surgery.) Believe me, I took advantage of all the help. :th_heehee: I think that may be why I'm doing so well. There is a lot to be said about rest after this major surgery.

There is a lot to be said about rest after this major surgery.

You said it all Kay! That is right on!:thmb: Rest now and you will have years to run.

Hey Songlady, I cannot imagine walking a mile right now. It's been pretty cold out since my surgery, and now with snow, I probably haven't walked more than a mile in total. Wow! My plan is to get back to the gym and start on the recumbant bike after the new year. It does feel good to get out again. I agree that a walking aid is good for reminding people to give you room. I went shopping a litte on Christmas eve and had to be very defensive of my space. :snk:

Wow, Kay....I think you are doing GREAT!!! It is a good suggestion to have the cane handy "just in case." But, all in all.....you are a superstar in recovery! You're so right...that rest initially really helps the healing progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom