2 story home while recovering from TKR –expectations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Minnie's knees, I hope you don't mind me putting my oar in here! I live in a 2 storey home. I lived upstairs although I could manage them it wore me out and it was sooooo tiring. However crunch time came when I was crying with pain and exhaustion and telling people on this forum how bad it was. I then realise I'd been up and down stairs 8 yes 8 times in the space of a few hours. In the end I was advised to live upstairs but break it up by coming back downstairs once or twice so I didn't go stir crazy!!! Plus my husband would not feel so isolated and bored either. The safest way with those stairs is definitely the handrail/bannister and one crutch hopefully and elbow crutch. As your legs get stronger it does get easier honestly it does xxxxxx
 
iceguy - thank you for your suggestions. Great idea to try it before surgery.

Nana moon 27 - I certainly welcome your input. That's what is so great about this forum. Everyone is so helpful. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way not to overdo it on the stairs. I plan to get up the stairs as soon as I can and stay upstairs for a few days. After that I will probably go down the stairs at least once a day to have dinner with the family.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is wise. It is good not to eliminate the stairs completely. It is hard work especially with the fact that you have an added problem with the arthritis. However, the exercise will help strengthen you knee and dining with the family will stop you from going stir crazy. Try not to isolate yourself too much because loneliness is not pleasant after a while believe me. Anyway I'll chat tomorrow with you it is 1.42 am here but my insomnia is raging. Going to turn off all electricals now and try and relax x x x nighty night x x x
 
Oh poor you nana, not able to sleep.:mcoffee:
We all suffered with that dreadful thing but rest assured it does pass eventually. I don't know the cause of it but it appears to be part of the healing process on mind and body also.
My lovely son bought me some DVD collections and I am lucky enough to have a TV bed, so when sleep was a distant memory :yawn: I could lie awake and just chill out watching some films.
My husband took to sleeping downstairs on the sofa bed as it was obvious that me moaning and shuffling around in bed was keeping him awake and although he was happy to stay put, I insisted he went downstairs. I kidded myself it was for his benefit but actually it was for mine,:heehee: I wanted to stretch out, go on my laptop, watch some DVD's, sit up and read and just do my thing without having to keep quiet so I never woke him up. Still he took with a good heart.
It was not the best few weeks of my life and mentally it was hard, but ultimately with patience and endurance and the knowledge that things will only get better I got through it all:egypdance: and so will you.
Just as a ps. I too have asthma but was still able to take Naproxen for a couple of weeks. I am on the pink and blue pumps...
Little quote from Tolstoy that I kept repeating to myself during my recovery - "The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience.” It kept me going.
:flwrysmile:
 
After I "fired" my PTs (if you need more info, see my thread), and started doing my therapy at home, I used/use my stairs as part of my therapy. What was an obstacle before, now has become a tool.

Remember: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!
 
Stairs aren't too bad, like everyone says they usually show you in the hospital. You do need at least one solid or sturdy banister rail to hold on to. Also, if they try to show you some wacky way of putting your walker on the stairs for support, yeah right, NOT. I used one of my hiking poles for me cane and had my husband bring the walker up or down. We have two main floors and a similar configuration to you. I went up to bed the first night home. Better than the sofa!

The first couple weeks, it was downstairs during the day and upstairs at night, so only one trip up and down. I put any items I was with me in a cloth hobo bag and my husband usually took that with the walker. I also made sure he spotted me whenever I was on the stairs. I didn't use the stairs when I was alone in the house for several weeks. I had friends or family come stay with me for most of the day while my husband was at work during the first 5 days or so. It was good to have someone there when the nurse or PT came to work with me. Being on heavier pain meds those first days, they would remember things I might not.

Now we have bathrooms on both floors, so I could camp out downstairs during the day. I also slept in the guest room, so my periodic bouts of waking to take meds or sleeplessness didn't disturb my husband, but he's a light sleeper. My house is pretty quiet too, no kids running in and out or other rambunctious folks. If you would feel too isolated, you can make a downstairs nest. Everyone is right though, the first few days it's take pain meds, eat, sleep. I had the TV downstairs, but usually dozed off during shows. (TCM is nice for those times when you're sort of half there.)

Good Luck!
 
Thanks!!!! Ill remember this thread . As ill need to maneuver up and down stairs pretty soon. I dont want to fall coming down the stairs . C u on the otherside soon
 
@rjrober23 Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I will probably camp out upstairs as it is more comfortable and go downstairs once a day for dinner with the family. I don't think I will feel isolated as our family room is upstairs and that is our hang out spot. I would be more isolated downstairs. I will have someone with me for at least 2 weeks. We don't have a spare bedroom so my husband will be on the couch in the family room if my restlessness bothers him but he is a pretty sound sleeper. Lucky for me my grandchildren will be at school and daycare. Then dinner, showers, a little tv and bedtime.

@icep707 Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!
 
Stairs should not be a big issue since you are only having one knee done. As said, a railing and one crutch. Armpit crutches, however, are rather useless on stairs. If you can get forearm crutches, you will be able to maneuver much better. And remember, up with the good, down with the bad. I would consider just having a tray brought up to you for dinner for awhile. I made my command center my bed and bedroom. Pulled a chair or two in for hubby or others to sit and join me. I took almost all my meals there for a while. Hubby would bring a tray for himself as well. Just make sure you have some easily washable cover on the bed during this time. We had no issue with him sleeping in the same bed, but he did use a different bathroom because of the seat I had over the toilet. I had both knees done. It took some time before i was comfortable sitting in a chair at a table for any length of time. Tim talks about not having any pain the first time standing. I had a lot of pain, but it seems mine was more than what many experience. However, it didn't last long at all. By two weeks I could walk around unaided and with no pain. So don't think something is wrong if you have pain. I had no pain at all while resting with my legs up, and that was from the start. I was happy through it all because I knew I was getting my life back!
 
I've just got home today from a 3 night stay in hospital, my PTs made me walk down and then up 13 stairs and I found it easy no probs, I no we are all different but it really was easy, so when I got home I did your plan B , up stairs on the bed I've got my bike and a dinning chair in my bedroom so I'm happy. Foxy. God luck.x
 
Thanks Minnie. I appreciate your well wishes. Im in California so its only 850 pm. Im about to wash my knee. Did last minute shopping and cleaned the whole house. Also they gave me celebrex for tonight. Went out to eat my favorite dish for dinner. Im set. Again thanks and ill be wishing you the best as well . Bye
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom