Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection 2 Stage THR with Temp Spacer - Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad your numbers are good and hope they stay that way. It'll lead to your implant sooner than later. Seeing my ID tomorrow for my check up.
 
So the long, hard road is almost over... After 10 weeks with this temporary spacer, I'm going in tomorrow for the second stage full prosthetic. My OS is going to remove the temporary spacer, and take some more bone from the pelvic cup. He's then going to screw up a titanium cup, with a plastic lining on the inside. He'll insert the primary prosthetic in the femur (titanium as well) and use a ceramic ball for the socket.

At this stage - I don't know whether to be excited or nervous! The last few weeks have been very tough... I can't weight bear on the spacer, and my pain has never really been managed properly.. So I still get frequent nerve pain and aching where the femur was cut. My OP and PT reckon that it's supposed to be like that (as it's only a temp) but I've spoken to some people who have had it, and they had nowhere near the pain I have!!

Also, my ID consultant has given me the all clear on the acute infection I had, which is good news. But, the OS is saying there's a 1/10 chance of re-infection post op. Is this normal? 10% seems high to me...

I guess by this time tomorrow I'll be over the worst of it... The surgery should take 2 hrs approx, and the PT wants me out of bed by evening time and mobilized with a walking frame. I'll post an update from my hospital bed..

FYI, I've attached a couple of pics in case anyone is interested.. Infection shows the spread of infection from original arthroscopy on 30th April vs 10th June (bear in mind, I didn't get it treated with antibiotics until 1st Aug, and it was removed mid Sept). The second pic is of the spacer that's in place, with a temporary cement ball and no lining on the socket..

[Bonesmart.org] 2 Stage THR with Temp Spacer - Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] 2 Stage THR with Temp Spacer - Recovery
 
I hope all goes well. My ID has kept me on an antibiotic for nearly two years to be sure the infection stays away.
 
Good luck for today. Thinking of you!
 
Shoud be done by now. See you on the otherside soon!
 
I hope the surgery has gone well for you. Don't let the PT give you more exercise than you can handle!! If you need rest, then say so and insist on getting the rest. With the new hip, you'll have a much better time of moving and getting to the point of being independent. Just give yourself the time needed and don't rush anything. Take pain pills every 4 hours so you can stay ahead of the pain. This will be YOUR recovery, so take it as the pace YOU need for having less pain and more healing. Blessings to you!
 
Good luck with OP.. Just came home after My spacer put in .. The post OP pain was the worst pain ever.. IT comes and goes every day and Swedes don't easily give pain killers so its been hell
 
@boseytal I hope you are well on your way in this recovery. I look forward to your update soon!
 
Hi all... Bit late writing back to everyone but better late than never I suppose!! Thanks all for your lovely messages of support, they really did help before the operation.

My 2nd stage was a big success - felt the relief immediately after the op. The sturdiness is brilliant! The joint itself has given me little trouble, my main pain seems to be muscular now. Because I was lying up so long, I've a lot of muscle death on my right side, which will take a while to build back up.

I was kept in hospital for 4 weeks after my op on antibiotics, and got home just before Christmas. OS told me not see a PT until week 6 (2nd Week of Jan). Up until that point, i was great... Walking with a walking stick, more for balance than anything, as I COULD walk without it... But was really twinging and leaning on my operated side (kind of centering myself over the hip,if you can imagine)... The PT gave me a serious of static exercises and told me go for the pool. After about a week of that.. I had INCREDIBLE pain in the operated groin. Of course, thought the worst, and went back to IS for an X-Ray.. Hip is 100%, no issues.. My OS recommended seeing an acute pain specialist as the pain could be nerve related coming from the back..

Sure enough - went to see a BRILLIANT one who was able to diagnose me straight away, exactly the way I was feeling, the pain, not sleeping etc. basically, he has told me to STOP all exercises for a couple of weeks, as I'm exercising the wrong muscles... Essentially, my abductor/hipflex and glute are not contracting correctly at all. It's because I've been compensating for so long that I'm subconsciously keeping the muscle contracted because I'm afraid of the new implant!! Mad stuff, but he did 1 hr with me, releasing muscles, pressure points etc... AND PAIN WENT!!! So a few more sessions with him and I should be good to continue rehab, and with a better starting point this time!

I've been googling the sleeping issues people are having - and I'm the exact same. No pain per say, but just restless and uncomfortable. Constantly flipping from back to good side etc. I've found a couple of pillows under my knee on my back really helps - but I couldn't recommend a chiropractor highly enough - slept like a log the first night after seeing him!

I went back to work on 4th Jan full-time, which in hindsight was a bit too much too soon, as the tiredness does catch up with you.. (also, planning a wedding and doing a masters doesn't help either!!). I could only suggest that if anyone is in a similar position to me, then give it time... I'm the most impatient person I know, but it really is baby steps, and even tho I hit a speed bump in the road, I'm still progressing nicely. Going to work from home one day per week (Wednesday) for the next few weeks, purely so I can have a day of from wearing shirt and slacks and relax! Think it's important to recuperate when possible - and not go too fast!!


On a separate note - I just want to thank all of the people who have commented and helped me through the last few months. There were a few low points during the 2 stage (especially with the spacer) - and all of helped me so much, in terms of coping and rationalizing what was happening to me. It's an amazing little community on here - and I only hope I can be in a position to help someone as much as you all have helped me.

I'll keep a posted more frequently on how it's all going. Thanks all!!
 
@boseytal So good to see you back here and what a great update! So glad stage 2 is working for you. Yes, many people get forced into PT which is often just a set of exercises with no thought to a particular patient's issues. So glad you got advice from that pain management specialist.

Please do keep us updated!
 
The problem I have is that my PT, OS and ID consultant all have conflicting answers on this - and it's driving me insane]
@boseytal :welome:Welcome fellow Irish person. You will find some wonderful support here.

Sorry for the tough time you seem to be having. But, a good place to start would be to try and get the above 3 to think in concert, not as individuals. Frustrating when they all seem to heading in a different direction. You feel vulnerable enough without that cr-p going on as well.

I myself can't comment on the hip issue as I am a TKR candidate. But, a lot of the issues around pain, PT and trying to do the right thing at the right time are universal.

Do try to take it easy on the walking. You think you are doing wonderfully well, but, your hip is telling you different.

Continue to rant, as there is always someone on here with great advice.
 
So happy for you and your fiancé .
Glad things worked out for you.
Wishing you the best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom