• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[TKR] 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
United States United States
For the past three days I’ve been off the Oxy and it seems OK. Doing 1000 mg Tylenol extra strength every eight hours, it’s been working but now it doesn’t seem like it is anymore. I have some Tylenol with Codeine here from my last TKR, I think of switching back to that something a little heavier than the plain Tylenol I am 4.5 weeks out. The pain in my ankle and calf are down to about 3 but I have trouble sleeping at night my foot is always uncomfortable. Am I trying to cut out the pain meds too quickly?

TortiTabby

Country
Hi winemama, my surgery was the same day as yours. Even without ankle/calf pain I'm still taking one Oxy at 5mg every five or six hours. I'd let your pain be your guide - take the pain medicine when needed. I plan on going down to one Oxy every 8 hours in a few days and supplement with Tylenol when needed, then just the Tylenol (but not if the pain is above a 4).

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Well I’m finally five weeks in, off the Oxy down to EX strength Tylenol, but I caught an awful cold, so that’s taking any extra strength or energy I have. It’s just viral going around here in Ohio. The ankle pain is about 85% gone believe me my PT guy Is happy, because I was very limited on anything I could do. Don’t worry I am doing very gentle PT work and if it causes me pain I tell him NO
Went out today to an art fair, and some live music, about three hours total. I walked 1367 steps, and it felt pretty good. The thing now is I having trouble falling asleep at night, I don’t know why, am tired , just can’t sleep

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sleep is very elusive in this recovery for many of us.

I lived in Ohio for 7 years and there were lots of festivals there. I also loved all the metro parks!

Delaware doesn’t hardly have any.

jeffjob

Country
The pain in my shins / calf’s was normal for me and went away week 2-3.

My right leg hurt more and had more bruising.

My left leg has a painful spot mid-calf that had me concerned about a blood clot but it also was a normal part of recovery.

Our legs really do take a beating during these procedures.

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Sleep is very elusive in this recovery for many of us.

I lived in Ohio for 7 years and there were lots of festivals there. I also loved all the metro parks!

Delaware doesn’t hardly have any.
There is so much to do in Ohio, they have done so much work on the metro parks, they are beautiful

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
@jeffjob i didn’t have this pain in my leg and ankle on first TKR, boy was I surprised this time, it is rough. My Dr said 2-6 weeks to heal, and it’s been 6 weeks

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Went out to day (2 days in a row) dinner with out of town family. Lots of talking and catching up, chairs in the restaurant we’re so uncomfortable for me, place was warm. What a crappy evening. Man I didn’t think realize how everything effected my body. Icing and going to bed

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It was quite a while before I could sit comfortably in a restaurant with my feet on the floor for the length of time I was there.

I would use my cane under the table to prop my foot up on. It was just a little bit, but every inch helped until I didn’t need it anymore.

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
PT today. I have convinced my guy go painless, so today he massaged my knee and thigh for 15 minutes. Lord it felt good, apparently I was making some noise LOL. When we went in I was at 91, no pushing, when we were done 96 no pushing. I know my muscles will be sore tomorrow, but Lord it felt good. When I get the OK I’m going to go get a massage. I’m tired, so nap here I come

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
6 week check up, OS is happy, all looks good, ok to drive when I feel like it, I feel good about that. I explained the ankle and calf pain were about 85% gone. Mentioned this site and how I was going to be my own advocate for PT, he was fine with that. Seeing that my ROM is 96, and I have had very little PT, it made sense.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Mentioned this site and how I was going to be my own advocate for PT, he was fine with that.
It always amazes me how different the OS opinions are. That’s great that your OS agrees with the way you want to do this recovery.

I just checked my records and at my 6 week check up my surgeon was able to push my bend to 116. (No way could I do that on my own) I’d had several set backs from PT and asked if I could stop going, he replied, but we haven’t finished fixing you yet. :doh:

I was still pretty new to this recovery and had only just started reading Bonesmart, and my husband was a big believer of PT and not upsetting the surgeon, so that’s why I asked, I figured if I had the surgeon’s permission, my husband would be comfortable with my stopping PT.

My opinion has changed quite a bit since then! If there’s a next time, I will be in charge of my recovery. I really hope to have a surgeon who will agree with my taking the Bonesmart approach, but I won’t need his permission to do so.

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
I have the same problem, as my wife is an OT, now she believes in functional Therapy which is good, but she sided with having PT also, but my PT just told us he is big on hands on PT, which I want.
I was out 9 hours yesterday, a bunch of stops, Dr visits, I’m not as bad today as I thought, mind you I have no desire to leave my house, icing will be my adjective today.

JayFromMN

Country
Hi Ohio. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Are you spending any time outside? I had my surgeries on pretty similar dates to you, and found the recoveries very different for each knee. I had a bank of patience for the first one but it was exhausted by the time I had my second. And it was really an emotional blow to get to a point where I was becoming reasonably mobile and healed only to have that all taken away so I could start over. I love reading--learned to pass time on airplanes with fiction. I built a nice stockpile of new books in anticipation of my surgery. And never read a word. I simply didn't have the energy.

But with my second surgery, the weather here (Minnesota) started to improve. Fresh air coming through the windows helped my mood, and getting outside to walk was a game-changer. I've gotten out to some of my favorite places--the zoo, the ballpark, and of course, my own neighborhood. Every outing--no matter how brief, lifts my spirits.

I'm about three weeks further into my recovery than you, and I still feel like each week is super important. Most weeks I find things a little easier, a little closer to normal. And you have to let yourself remember that this time your recover isn't leading towards another surgery. This time, it's leading into summer, continued improvement, and a return to the things you used to love doing before your knees started getting in the way.

Put some sunscreen on your scars and enjoy your afternoon.

Jay

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
H

But with my second surgery, the weather here (Minnesota) started to improve. Fresh air coming through the windows helped my mood, and getting outside to walk was a game-changer.
This was true for me too. Just getting out of the "four walls" even if just to sit outside for a few minutes or walk up and down the driveway helped.

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
I have been feeling good, the regular stiffness, but I feel I’m making progress, so for the past 2 days I have taken no pain meds, not even Tylenol. Well last night all hell broke loose, everything started to hurt, arms legs, knees. Trying hard, but back to some meds. And I didn’t take a nap for those 2 days, guess who is dragging their butt around today?

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Maybe in the future try one change at a time.

And, did you do a little more activity than usual, since you were feeling so good?

This is such a trial and error recovery. :console2:

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Went to dinner and theater tonight, sitting was ok, but glad when it was over. Saw Dear Evan Hanson, Excellent. Took a pain pill for the show, worked good. I’m sure I’ll be beat tomorrow

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Amymom
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom