• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[TKR] 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
United States United States
Thats great to hear!! Hope & a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm dreaming of hiking with my family next summer!
:walking:
You will, I cannot believe what I am doing now, at the end of September we are leaving for the first of 2 bucket list vacation’s and I’m not the least bit worried about traveling and touring

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Just checking in, we are at 5 and 8 months with the TKR
95% of the time all is well, what I am having problems with is slight swelling in the 8mo old, and the muscles in both knees are sore at the top of the knee, leading to the thigh, especially walking down the stairs
The 5 mo old is doing better,
I’m wondering if I should wear a compression type knee brace on long tours on vacation
On the 5 month knee, I’m finding that the muscles that hurt so bad down my calf and ankle are still tender, I’m thinking I have a long time before they are healed
Any suggestions. Miss everyone

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
@Jockette , I’m looking for some advice on my last post
I have a stretchy knee braces, do you think I need to wear them on the long flights? I will be wearing compression socks. I’m taking the knee braces with me. Should I wear them if my knees start misbehaving?

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Compression socks wouldn't hurt for long flights. You could experiment with the braces to see if they offer support for the knee, but I don't know that it would be necessary.

luvcats

post-grad
Country
@Steelergal gal is currently in Venice and posted that so far her compression sleeve seems to be helping.

Steelergal

Country
Yes i wore compression socks on the plane yesterday and my ankles didn’t swell. However my knee swelled a bit (even with ice). Once i landed and took off the socks my ankles did swell but nothing awful. Everything was pretty normal when i got up this morning. My op knee and ankle are a bit swollen this afternoon but we walked a lot and i didn’t elevate. I’m doing it now and it seems better. Good luck!

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Hello from Lithuania
Thought I’d bring everyone up to date on how the knees are holding up with traveling
Wore compression socks on the flight, helped a lot. We walked a lot, on cobblestone and brick and the knees were excellent, no pain or soreness. On the days we had 10 hour tours, I wore soft knee braces, and those helped
What happened most often, was muscle soreness especially the knee that was straightened, those calf and ankle muscles are still tender
My legs and knees got tired and stiff, but a good nights sleep helped
I was averaging 10,000-14,000 steps a day
I noticed my legs were slightly swollen by the end of the day, but again resting and elevating helped
I’m so happy with the results, I feel like I can do anything. Oh I forgot to mention that I did use a cane when walking on the cobblestones , and for long days. Best thing I bought was a collapsable cane, fit right into my backpack
Any questions?? We loved St Petersburg

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
Just an add on, my wife has noticed my gate being off, on my left side. Said I was throwing my left leg out. When I get back in 2 weeks, I’ll head back to PT, want to get this fixed

luvcats

post-grad
Country
What a wonderful trip! It's so encouraging for me to see all you success stories out having international adventures.

marieltha

graduate
Country
Thanks for sharing your wonderful travel update! So glad you did so well and are continuing to improve.

OP
OP
winemama

winemama

senior
Country
We are on the last leg of our trip we are in the beautiful city of Riga Latvia
The knees are holding up well, getting 10,000-12,000 steps a day. One day I topped out at 16,489. The problem are the cobblestones, they are brutal, not hurting the knees, but the muscles in my legs ache by the end of the day
There have been a few days where I rested all day in bed
Swelling is minimal, and very little pain
We are so enjoying our trip, and the knees are doing great. So very happy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Retiredmam
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom