THR 2 knees done, 1 hip done - comparison

Ok , I am probably jumping the gun a bit, but my surgeon said I could chip and put at 2 weeks and play golf at 5 weeks. Today is the start of my fifth week ,so do you suppose he meant at end of 5 or start of. Well I just happened to be at course today and it was open so I thought I would try some swings on practice range . Wow they felt really good ,so why not try playing a few holes, so I did. Played 5 full holes hitting all the clubs like normal, and everything felt great. Surprisingly so. Transferring my weight to left side is still a bit tentative, but that is due to me not having been able to do for so long, and still being a bit gunshy

I did decide to halt at five holes, and am going to check with surgeon Monday morning to see if there are any downsides to my restarting , but sitting here at home everything feels good at least today so will see how it feels tomorrow. Other than golf once up and moving around my hip loosens up and feels better as I move around .

I am posting my story so any one who loves golf like I do can get an idea of possible recovery time from cut to swing again. My right hip continues to be stiff and I have lower back pain which is especially prevalent after sitting, but am not letting this keep me from returning to golf as left hip allows. Has anyone here on bonesmart had similar lower back pain over hip that is due to be replaced ,once other hip was done. Just curious ,but I guess I will be able to answer my own question after sept. 25th.

I had some lower back pain with my first hip. I had more buttock and SI joint pain with the 2nd hip before replacement. I actually tried heat on it and got my TENS unit out and used that on it and it helped. I believe a lot of this comes from walking in a way to compensate for the bad hip and it throws our body mechanics off causing different pulls and strains. Your time is coming where you can have all 4 lower joints strong and pain free.

Thanks leejaa for feedback. Here it is the following day and hip seems to be no worse for wear, at least to point that it doesn’t appear to be aggravated from previous days outing. Some gentle cycling and gonna foam car today, then settle in for an afternoon in front of tv watching final round of 3m golf tournament.

‘Really looking forward to talking with surgeon tomorrow to see if he will turn me loose on golf course. If not no problem cause it’s getting closer to go time either way.

I know many that come here seem to have a more difficult recovery than I do, and this seems to be true for knee recoveries also. If you read my recoveries, both knees went exceptionally well, as is my hip so far. I like to put up my recovery progress here so that those contemplating joint replacement can see that you can have a really great result from getting your joints replaced. I can only hope that this can remove some of the fears from those just getting ready for this proceedure. Now if I can just keep my record intact thru my final joint replacement I will be one happy camper.

Hey @Softtail :wave:
Enjoy your time on the links. Carefully. Two months to go until you’re bionic. :happydance:
It’s good to read you’re not feeling any negative after effects from yesterday. I hope your surgeon gives you the nod you’re looking for tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing here. We appreciate it as it will be useful to others. I was a longtime lurker before I joined, reading and reading trying to gain the courage to schedule my surgery. If not for BoneSmart and all the great success stories I read here as well as the validation of my feelings (extreme anxiety) I may still be gimping around out there living in fear as opposed to living my life. So document your recovery for as long as you’d like. Your words will be of benefit to someone, plus WE love sharing in your progress. :)
A great Sunday and week to you!

Oops....almost missed it
Happy One Month Anniversary!!
@Softtail

Layla I vividly remember my first knee replacement and the relief I found finding bonesmart. I have recommended this site to a number of friends that were scheduling procedures. Lol when you are 72 it’s not too hard to find an acquaintance that needs some new joints.
Going thru the first knee recovery I lived on the site hoping that every new pain I had was normal. No two knees , or I would guess hips , react the same so the acquired experiencies here at bonesmart are invaluable to draw from to give us a little peace of mind as we recover.

Thank you for the generous and kind words in regard to BoneSmart. BoneSmart is a wonderful resource, due to people like you, willing to share their honest feelings, support and encourage others and leave a record of their recovery for the benefit of those following behind. We appreciate you and your efforts to draw others to the site.
Thanks again!
@Softtail

Doctor cleared me to play golf ,so got in my first 18 hole round on Monday with new hip. Hip held up well , but back got a bit sore by around the 16 th hole. Not surprising with all twisting involved. Come Tuesday a bit more sore than usual, so took it easy for day. Tried playing Wednesday but got rained out. It’s Thursday morning and hips and back feel pretty normal with most residual pain over right hip and lower back which gets less as I move and walk. Still the most discomfort is after sitting for awhile. The cane is now retired waiting for hip 2 at end of September. It’s good to be able to return to most of my normal activities, but am anxious to get the right hip doneto see just how much of the joint and back pain I have lived with for 10 plus years can be left behind.

Of course the other black cloud that is following all of us is the covid virus, and for some in bad states I would guess is postponing their operations. In upstate NY, the virus is at least for the time being , not increasing to the point where elective surgeries have been postponed, so fingers crossed it stays that way. For anyone in a state that has had their surgery postponed, stay hopeful,and know it’s worth waiting for.

Hello @Softtail
I’m glad you’re taking cues from your body and not pushing it. I certainly hope your surgery isn’t canceled and you’re able to move forward without the pain you’ve described you’ve been enduring for ten years. Fingers crossed for you! :fingersx: Thanks for updating, I hope you enjoy the remainder of the week. :)

Sunday morning, a couple of days into week 6. Played golf Thursday , Friday, and 9 holes Saturday, with no extra aches and pains from the outings. Hip gets less and less noticeable as I walk on it, so I am guessing none of my golf outings have set it back any.
I hope my story continues to provide a bit of peace of mind for anyone getting ready for their surgery, as I am a living example of how you can get back to normal one joint at a time.

Hey there :wave:
Just think how great you’ll be feeling by the holidays! :happydance:
Have a wonderful Sunday and week. :)
@Softtail

Thought I would check back in and post an update . At 6 plus weeks now my hip is pretty much a non issue. Other than the scar being visible it’s easy to forget that it was ever replaced. There is pretty much nothing I cannot do that reminds me I have a new hip. Getting ready to try some splits to see how far I can stretch it. Lol just kidding. At 72 splits have left the room, but my ability to transfer weight to left side in golf with no problem has rejoined my game.

Hope these up dates continue to reduce some fears of those contemplating hip surgery. Still looking forward to last joint replacement I hope my bodywill ever need this September, and hopefully it will recover as nicely as this one has.

Awesome update, so glad you're doing so well. And think how much you're going to feel after you get that right one done in September! Won't be able to keep you away from the golf course! :dancy:

The splits?!!! :rotfl: Ouch! Hurts thinking about it, lol.

Great update and I’m happy you’re doing so well. Thanks for taking the time to share. It would be difficult to go back for a repeat performance so soon if this had been a miserable slog. Hopefully your September surgery / recovery is just as smooth. Let’s count on it, after all...why not. :)
Happy weekend to you!
@Softtail

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
One month away from putting this all behind you. I hope you’re doing well and hanging in there with, Righty. Wishing you continued progress and comfort as you await your next surgery date.
Take good care!
@Softtail

Hi @Softtail
Hope all is still going well and you are ready to get the last part of your Squarely Bionic joint Replacements done.
Hoping you are Staying Healthy.
Happy Tuesday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017