TKR 2 days post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to see the GP doctor this afternoon and I explained to him what is going on with my knee. Once I told him that I can't move my leg when the leg freezes in flexion, this requires assistance to get it straight again. Doctor said this is not common and should be tended to immediately. It is happening at all times of the day now, not just at night. I have read and tried to find out whatever I can about this, because when I called the OS, of course I had to leave a message and now I am waiting for a call back.
 
Have you reduced the exercises as I suggested? Are you taking your pain meds properly and not trying to cut back?
 
excellent! Then you should soon be feeling the benefit.
 
I am cooperating with my physical therapist now that I have one that is NOT trying to bend my knee in the opposite direction. The one that I have now is so much easier to work with. I have been taking my medication and not trying t go without any or reducing the dosage. I have been doing the exercises daily, not all, but most of them. However, I am NOT doing them several times a day. I still have the Charlie Horse that comes without warning and the OS has prescribed a muscle relaxer to deal with that. I hope & pray that it works.
 
I continue to have the same problems with the stabbing, sharp pains that come in the knee almost all the time now. These "Charlie Horses" are about to kill me, I haven't been able to sleep through the night but once, since the surgery almost 5 weeks now. I have been icing my knee constantly since the surgery, this hasn't helped at all. I have read that maybe heat will help minimize the pains, so I am going to try the heating pad and with any luck at all, this will help with the stabbing pains as well as the spasms.
 
What about potassium @Poppet ? Doesn't that help with cramps? It has for me when I get those. Also sometimes some stretching has helped me.

I hope this calms down for you soon, Hopeful.
 
Hi there @Hopeful6592 - did you have the opportunity to read through the my advice in Post #60...

There is very strong medical evidence that cramp, especially in the legs are related to Magnesium deficiency.

@kneeper potassium pairs up with the sodium pump with the cells. Whereas magnesium pairs with calcium.

Hopeful, please read these articles and have a chat with your GP. Here in Australia we can have a blood test to check our magnesium and calcium levels. It might be worth you having a chat with your Dr to get these levels checked.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/restless-leg-syndrome.22392/

Thanks for tagging me @kneeper :)
 
I definitely will try the magnesium & potassium, all else has failed. Although, the heating pad when used last night was 30 minutes on medium heat, when I was jarred awake at 3:30am, the pain in the knee wasn't as bad as it has usually been and I didn't require assistance to get my leg straightened out. I appreciate all assistance that I have received from this forum so far, it has been a Godsend. I don't think I could have made it this far and retained any sanity without you guys.
 
Hi @Ollie I'm surprised that I haven't noticed you before. I had a RTKR on June 10th as well. In your post #33 you sign "Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014", but then at the bottom it says RTKR June 10, 2014. Did you have bilateral or is one a typo.
In any case we have the same date so I'm happy to meet you.
 
Tried to do a little shopping today, just to get groceries and it was wonderful to get out of the house and finally drive by myself, however about 2 hours after I got home, the severe cramps started again. Anyone else having these problems?
 
I took the magnesium & potassium supplements last night and I slept a little better. I will continue to take the supplements and see if the improvement continues. I woke up only one last night and not in the worst pain. Hopefully this improvement will continue. I can't thank you guys enough, Poppet, Kneeper & Josephine, your helpful advice and suggestions have made this ordeal more tolerable.
 
OK, I had a follow up with the OS today. He said I am healing up quite well. I told him of the severe pains that I continue to have, the ones that prevent me from sleeping more than a couple of hours a night and he just said that he isn't sure what is causing it. I asked about "restless leg" syndrome, he is sure that isn't what is causing it. He seems convinced that this will eventually stop, once the muscles have been trained to function in a proper manner. Any advice out there would be most helpful. I am really starting to feel very down since the surgery, and I know I am really getting on the family's nerves.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 days post-op
@Hopeful6592, I personally think a lot of your problem is that you are doing too much during the daytime, then it catches up with you in the wee hours of the morning when you've been sleeping a while. Click on the link and go back and read this article again: Progression of activity for TKRs

Along with the supplements, you might try doing less activities and elevating, icing, resting, and taking your pain meds on a schedule. It is still very, very early days in this recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Tried to do a little shopping today, just to get groceries and it was wonderful to get out of the house and finally drive by myself, however about 2 hours after I got home, the severe cramps started again. Dr just said that he isn't sure what is causing it.
Well, I can tell you what's causing it. You shouldn't be going out shopping at only 6 weeks. Did you never read this article? Activity progression for TKRs. In there is says
Weeks 6 and onward
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom