TKR 1st post since TKR on June 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a OS appointment in a few hours. He will determine if I need a MUA. He will also tell me if it's OK to go back to work on 9-2 (Tues.) This is an important appointment! He may not be too happy that I'm still stuck at 93 degrees, so I'll let you guys know what's next. :what:
 
I have slowed down a little. Less determined walking (I was trying to go farther, now it's just to keep it moving & bending). I still don't sit & ice as much as I should.

I have a question about the ice machine. Mine is a "Polar Care Glacier" model. It looks like an Igloo cooler that can be used for picnics. Can I use the blue frozen cold packs instead of ice? The blue frozen packs are the ones that can go in coolers & lunch boxes, some are gel & some are hard plastic? I have a bunch of those & I wonder if that would work in place of ice? :scratch: In my model, I add water to the (real) ice & the cold water circulates in a Velcro wrap that goes around the knee. Using those "ice packs" would make it lots easier than needing so much ice all the time. Also, why did someone add alcohol to the ice water? Does it melt slower?

Thanks for any info!
That was me talking about adding one bottle of rubbing alcohol to three bottles of water. But that is to make your own gel packs, not to be used in the polar ice machine, don't want alcohol going through that motor. When put in a gallon freezer bag the alcohol/water mix freezes into a slush instead of rock hard ice. Now for your Polar ice machine, it sounds like mine. I just move the motor over to the side and a half gallon milk jug that I cleaned and rinsed and filled with water and froze will fit in there along with three other small water bottles. That will last for around 7 hours.
 
Well, the news is I need a MUA! I'm not surprised. My OS wants to do it soon maybe next week. He said it will be very painful afterwards & I'll have PT the same day. Then, PT 3 times a week for about 3 weeks more. He said take the pain pills, so that the knee will bend, & not form more scar tissue. He said in my case, "Pain won."

Ugh!:hairpulling: I will miss more school (my job), which I feel really bad about! The only positive is that my husband's insureance will pay for the PT, as I used my PT benefit up.

It's hard not to feel as though I failed, but I guess the healing process is out of my control. I guess I can control ice, pain meds & what PT does. It still is stiff & aches. 1 step forward & 5 steps back. I guess it's progress. :whistle:
 
Oh Lori, you haven't failed! You've just been put on a road not of your choosing that is longer, windier and bumpier, but it's headed for the same place! Good luck with the MUA!
 
Thanks Janet2012. It's good to read encouraging posts! Kinda hard not to get a little down. I hate to have to miss more time at work! I guess my knee is more important than helping with geometry! :sigh:
 
I have a question about the MUA procedure. I will be having one done this week or next week & I am wondering if I'll be able to go to work a few days after having it or if I'll be "down for the count?" I will have PT following the MUA (same day) & PT 3 times a week, for 3 weeks. I hope to be able to have PT either before or after school.

Any answers would be so helpful. I am a teacher's aide in Geometry, for high school kids with learning disabilities.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom