TKR 19 Months Post Op, new pain and swelling

I stopped doing strengthening exercises because it seemed like the only thing that was happening was that my knee was swelling and hurting.
:thumb: Well done, you don't need strengthening exercises until your knee is healed
Somehow my ankle and foot were damaged during surgery
that's very odd; you sure they're not just hurting because you're walking differently on your new knee?
I've mostly given up on going to PT. All I get is a knee the size of a grapefruit.
Again :thumb: you don't need it.
Is there any hope my leg could still go straight? I don't want anyone but me to touch it.
Yes. Here's some hints https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159/

Stretching is the way to go, keep at it, it will work. It just takes time.

@Lywn
I have merged your newest thread with other two recovery threads.
Please don't keep starting new threads.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Is there any hope my leg could still go straight? I don't want anyone but me to touch it.
Yes, there is hope. You're only 14 weeks into a recovery that can take a full year. And your ROM (Range of Motion), both flexion and extension, can keep on improving for all of that year - sometimes even longer.

I think you might be trying too hard with your exercises. At this stage, just walking and doing your normal activities of daily living are enough exercise for your knee. THere's no deadline you have to meet, so why not give your leg a rest for a while and see if it settles down?

I see that you have asked Josephine (in Post #19 ) if she will ask you her questions. She's away this week, but will get back to you.

You will notice incremental changes. Last week I had to move the drivers seat all the way back to get in and out of my truck. Today I noticed that I got out without moving the seat. My leg bent and turned with no pain.

@Lywn, yes! I too have a husband who did everything for me for those first weeks. A treasure beyond price, as they say. Although he will point out he did get something out of it: a new, improved wife with whom to do fun things. :)
@SusieShoes I tell my wife that I'm a prince. She doesn't believe me.:rotfl:
"This surgery should come with a “Patience Required” sticker." Perhaps a pre-op visit to the tattoo parlor for that?:wink:

Last edited:
I used a heating pad on my sore hamstrings.

I'm 4 months post op and my knee, my hamstring, my ankle and my foot hurt 24/7. I've never been so discouraged in my life. Will it ever stop?

Have you stopped your exercises and are doing just your daily living activities? That's all you need to be doing. Exercising the new knee too much sets your recovery back. You are only 1/3 of the way healed. Please be patient and gentle with that knee. You can not make it heal any faster than it is going to heal, but you can sure slow it down.

I'm 4¾ months out now. Pain meds make me hyper so there is no use in taking anything stronger than paracetamol at night because I won't sleep anyway.

The surgeon says I have developed tendinitis but I feel like there is something pulling on my ankle all the time.

It has been like that since I woke up from the surgery. All the muscles behind my knee and the knee itself hurt constantly. The only exercise I do is to walk 20 minutes per day. The night time is the worst for pain. I so look forward to warmer weather but wonder if I will be able to go out and walk or not. It is all so discouraging.

My pain is worse at night as well. I don’t do anything but normal daily activities. What did your surgeon say can be done for your tendinitis?

Elevate and ice your knee. I am four months out, and still do it daily. You can use ice under your knee as well.

I’m also wondering what your surgeon advised for the tendinitis. Which tendon is involved? I agree that at this point you should still be elevating and icing your knee to reduce swelling. Unfortunately, night can be the worst time for pain. Part of the reason is that during sleep the new knee can be put into a position it doesn’t like and then gets grumpy. Do you sleep in a way that keeps the leg in a position you like? (For example, I had to sleep on my back with my legs elevated on a foam wedge. That was the ONLY position my knees found acceptable. At around 4-5 months, I was able to dispense with the wedge, but... my knees didn’t like my legs being straight out on the bed, only being bent in side sleeping. And so on. At this point I can sleep any way I please, but it took several months to get to this point.)

@Josephine, what do you think of Lywn’s case?

A week after surgery I developed acute tendinitis in my shoulder, due to using my arms to get up and down and across the back seat of the car, etc, because I couldn’t do much with my leg yet. I was xrayed to be sure there were no other issues. Oh my, it hurt way more than my one week old knee. I was still on narcotics and they didn’t touch it!

No treatment was recommended, it healed as I rested. So hopefully that will be the same for you.

@Lywn, I am so sorry you are having a rough time. My issue didn't begin at my surgery but a couple of weeks ago, I stretched in a way that I used to before surgery - bent over and put my hands flat on the floor. The next day I was in agony and it is just now beginning to show slight signs of healing. The only thing that makes it feel better is to elevate and put an ice pack behind my knee. I also take ibuprofen but that may be one of the meds that doesn't agree with you. Oh, and my PT told me to stop doing those bends. I'm on that ice pack several hours a day plus one on the top of my knee when it's not happy. Sleeping at night is a pain for most of us. I seem to do better with napping in my recliner which I do daily. Do you have time to try an ice/gel pack behind your knee?

What I find with a tendinitis flareup is I have to really rest it.

The surgeon says I have developed tendinitis but I feel like there is something pulling on my ankle all the time.
Perhaps you can tell me where your pain is using this chart?

aa knee-references-horz.jpg

My knee was sore yesterday so I used an ice pack. This morning I found it very painful to stand on and both sides and the front of my knee are swollen. I have so much soft tissue damage from the first surgery and have so many problems with pain meds, I am quite apprehensive about maybe needing another surgery. Physio was a total nightmare because my foot was so damaged from surgery and NO ONE would listen to me. It is still very sore. I will get into see the GP tomorrow.

I’m sorry you’ve been through so much with your knee.

Mine has not come out well and since my X-ray looks great, the medical professionals won’t listen to me either, so I understand how you feel. However, I do seem to have minor improvements from time to time even at this late date, my surgery was March 13, 2017, and it’s been a while since I’ve had a set back, so I’m happy about that.

Have you done any different activities lately?

I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

@Lywn
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Lywn,
Have you seen someone who specializes in feet? There are MD's specialize in ankles and feet. and podiatrists.

Recommend you seek a second opinion for your TKR, from a surgeon specializing in Revisions, they have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled knees. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.

Last edited:
My ankle and foot pain was caused by the straightening of my leg, it had bowed, did that happen?? It can last 1-12 weeks to heal. Have they done another X-ray? I’d seek a second opinion

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom