TKR 17 months out soft tissue problem with TKR

Anyone experience hip and or lower back pain after TKR? If so what was recommended course of action? I am 13 months out. difficult recovery and manipulation 3 months ago. ROM @ 105 . Hip and lower back pains are getting more intense daily. Thought I would see what others have done before I visit surgeon again so I can discuss some options.
 
@Sanmar What date was your MUA. Basically that procedure means you start again with building ROM. Your numbers may be higher and bending may be easier. But MUA can really aggravate soft tissues.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hi Sanmar,

We are having similar problems........but I'm a guy, meaning our structures and muscles are dissimilar.......
and maybe I cry more.

I don't know about your caregivers but if you (we) were working constantly with medical caregivers like BoneSmarts Jaycey or Celle, the pain and frustration would not go so deep.

Did you have an MUA at 10 months out from your TKR for lack of ROM?
I didn't think MUA's were an option after 3 (6?) Months from TKR.......
My MUA at about 7 weeks out, did almost nothing and set back my healing process.

When you said 'Hip and lower back pains are getting more intense daily'........maybe
the problems you've had with your TKR (also the change in your walk/gait since TKR) has changed the load factors on your hip and back....this is happening to me. Rehab specialists may help with understanding this and how to treat it. Wish I had a Hot Tub......

Some random thoughts;

We are not as bad off as Tiger Woods................

There is nothing more powerful than good information.

We are in the recovery stage of TKR.......we need to find medical professionals that are truly vested in the healing process and keep our spirits up.

You've sited many problems that might be caused by soft tissue; muscles, nerves, etc.
Are you getting any diagnostic tools that tell you the status of your soft tissue?

Check out using PRP injections to recover from your pain and help heal those tendon's etc.
Its not covered by insurance but there are studies that suggest it can be effective.
Our own University Sports Medicine Dept uses PRP injections for this.

I don't have any medical training and getting too old to be smart so passing on any of your thoughts or experiences is very helpful.
 
@Sanmar I am sorry to hear things are so hard for you. Don't despair and give your body time to adjust. I have had back knee pain, instability and that pinch in the corner. I pushed and then slid backwards,shaking my confidence. I've had to find myself and kinda start again. Find what you can do comfortably, and things that make you happy. Little and often for walks and exercises, introduce stretching and relaxation techniques. Be kind and if it feels not as good - extra sore, swollen, wobbly- slow down and do less. Even if for a couple of days after doing too much. I've had to build and practice slowly. Wishing you all the best...
 
I am 17 months out. My surgeon told me last week I have soft tissue problems and there's not much more he can do for me. I have had problems from the start and the swelling is back and ROM is down from 119 to 103. PT to the max, ice ect.
Here is my question - what Dr. or specialist should I seek an answer from at this point? I went to my HCP 2 weeks ago for a referral to another surgeon and as of today the referral has not been seen. I've called several times and asked where it is. No one has called back. I feel like I am in a bad dream. So I have the feeling I am just out of luck. To bad about your knee and 2 years of pain.
Any one seek some kind of muscle specialist or ?
thanks.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
 
thank you. TKR 8-27-3-2020. MUA 6- 24 2021.
complaint of lump and tenderness behind the knee since TKR.
it's getting worse and debilitating
 
You need a second opinion with a surgeon who does revisions or complex joint reconstruction, or any such description. Preferably with a surgeon who has no association with your current surgeon, which means you may have to travel a ways.

Does your insurance require a referral? Mine did not and I was able to get 2 second opinions for my knee with my choice of surgeons, both in different states from where I live. I am in Delaware and I saw a surgeon in Pennsylvania and another one in Maryland.
 
I see you had your MUA less than a year ago. That sets your recovery back to that time, not your TKR time. Having soft tissue problems requires you to rest your knee and let those tissues settle down. Working it constantly is not helping. Rest is what it needs, not exercise. You can ice as much as you can to help get the swelling down. Don't forget the elevation, too.
 
thank you for input. I did receive a call from referral Dr. Office late this afternoon. They said they are waiting for imaging and clinical notes from my surgeon. Then they will make a review of my case and decide if they will see me. If not my HCP has another surgeon she would refer to. Meanwhile i will ice and elevate. My surgeon is all about movement and PT. He thinks I should try to get back into my Pilates class but I can't imagine that right now. He also diagnosed me with lumbar spondylitis. and spinal stenosis, guess that's why my back hurts. Anyway I ride stationary bike 30 mins a day and walk 3 to 5 miles a day. Trying to loose weight, which I know will help immensely . Thanks again.
 
Have you tried cutting back on the exercise to see if your knee improves? If not, you might consider that just to see if that can improve your pain levels.

You do need some additional opinions, as Jockette suggested. If you run into trouble, let me know and maybe I can help you find some surgeons to check out that are reasonably close to you. You shouldn't need to do Pilates in addition to the biking and walking you have been doing daily. More is not always better when you're having pain like this. You must first get the cycle of inflammation and pain broken and let things settle. It would appear that has not happened during all this time.
 
Thank You for your offer of help. I will keep in touch with you. Being in Montana, travel distance is not a problem as everything is far apart. And travel out of state for services is also not unusual.
 
I didn't realize you were in the lovely state of Montana. I understand about the driving....I've done some searches for surgeons there before and I wasn't successful in finding good ones close to the member I was helping. Glad you're okay with out-of-state doctors for something this important.
 
finally able to see another surgeon. He had XRAYS taken.!! something I had asked my original surgeon to do as I just felt something was off. Anyway, this new surgeon could see right away the problem is the cement has not adhered correctly to the knee. It's a known problem with DePuy Attune knee replacements. It' an alloy problem. that's it. IT's worn loose. So it's a blood draw, bone scan and fluid draw to make sure there isn't an infection - because of the complication I had with diverticulitis after surgery, and then it's a revision. New surgeon uses Stryker knee replacements. I am nervous about it all but relived to have someone listen to me. I hope I can find the strength to 1. get through this again. 2. not be consumed by the anger and disappointment I feel about what the original surgeon has let me go through.
 
I’m glad you have an answer!

I hope I can find the strength to 1. get through this again.
Yes, it’s a tough recovery, and I agree, no one looks forward to it, but we’ll be here for you! You can do this!
2. not be consumed by the anger and disappointment I feel about what the original surgeon has let me go through.
I’m right with you on this one, it’s how I feel about my original surgeon.
 
Anyway, this new surgeon could see right away the problem is the cement has not adhered correctly to the knee. It's a known problem with DePuy Attune knee replacements.
DePuy changed the cement they used in 2016. Those reports you have read are out of date. If you google knee implants all of them have had recalls at one time or another. I'm very happy with my Attune knee. My tkr was 2016. I must have one with the new cement!

I'm glad you have found out why you are still having pain. A revision will bring you much relief, I'm sure. It sounds like a really good new surgeon. The skill of the surgeon is the main thing in a good outcome.
 
My TKR leg does not hurt when standing. When I start to move or walk the knee inner side goes into a horrible burn. The surgeon said this is called release pain. He did not explain any further as he was called away and I had to hurry on to Xray's and blood test. I will see him next week but I can't find an explanation of this has anyone had this ?
 
Hello @Sanmar
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I‘m sorry you’re experiencing the unpleasant burning sensation. While I’m unable to offer and advice, possibly someone will come along that can relate to what you described you are experiencing.

I wish you the best with your x-ray and lab results and hope your surgeon is able to offer some reassurance when you meet with him next week.
Take good care and stay in touch.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom