TKR 16 Weeks +, not sure what to think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is your IT band? Mine was strung tight as a wire and is part of my hip pain and was a problem early on with stairs. When I have back of the knee tightness I get relief from calf stretches. Seems if they're looking at allergies you might be past the simple P/T -rehab stage though.
 
I am 8 1/2 months removed from my first TKR and that knee still has "tightness" across/down the right front of the knee. It is not painful in any way and does not prevent me from doing anything. My left knee which is almost at 8 weeks actually feels about the same. My OS from the start has told me that complete healing takes a year so I am hoping that is the case and some of this tightness will eventually fade away. My ROM is -1/135 for the right knee and and 2/134 for the left.
 
@dovemck, my IT band HAS been tight, and while I was in PT for 16 weeks, I have asked the MD if some addl PT for more stretching would help since he mentioned "tightness". I would think if an allergy was likely I would have other clinical symptoms, but I have no idea.

@Phil75070, sounds like you have had the recovery I was hoping for in both knees. This recovery of mine has increased the pain in my L. Knee, but I can't even consider a second TKA until my R. knee is squared away.

I am just not sure how to treat this knee any longer. Continue to rest, ice and stretch? Wait out the years timeframe as the MD suggests hoping to "turn the corner"at some point or see another MD for a second opinion? At this juncture I am confused and discouraged - I just want to do the right things to get my mobility back!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Where does it hurt going up steps? In the joint or more in the soft tissue?

I know I had a problem at the point where the quad meets the kneecap (I'm sure that's not exactly the correct description anatomically) that my GP said was tendonitis. Anti-inflammatories and rest (and ice) were all he suggested for it. Not sure if that's what's happening with you.

I know you have a job where you are on your feet a lot which could have slowed down your recovery a bit.
 
@kneeper, I can't say that I can pinpoint the pain to the joint itself, maybe more in the quad area. In fact, I can at times convince myself the pains are muscular in origin at times since I've had so much difficulty - Pes anserine, hamstring, IT-band. In fact swelling is improved in the joint itself, tho not resolved and I have great flexion. But after cortisone injections and lots of rest, I would expect to see more improvement, activity tolerance....? Perhaps it's my expectations that need more aggressive managing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, it could be that you just need more healing. As Phil said, this process can take a year. With good ROM, you may have angry soft tissues that need some tlc.
 
@oneilllm ... haven't heard an update....how are you getting along?
 
Hi @Jamie, thanks for asking! I had a appointment with an orthopedist just last wk for a second opinion. He was very straightforward, reviewed my x-rays and my symptoms. He had this to say: he said I have pervasive hemo-effusion in the joint, he believes from inflammation. He said there is still fluid in the joint, but not a lot, and he prefers to wait and see if it resolves on its own. He said this is something that happens to some, not others. He also said that my knee is about 5° from straight, and he is not sure that that will improve seven months out, and it may account for some of the discomfort that I continue to feel in addition to the fluid in the joint. At this point, he recommends that I use the bike and the elliptical for strengthening, go back to physical therapy for work on straightening and the inflammation. and not do anything more as far as investigation in the joint until I pass the year mark. I also had a blood test for metal allergy, that is due back any day now. But he does not think that I am allergic.

When he was doing his dictation in my presence, he mentioned something that I had asked my original surgeon about and that was a little "nick" in the femur just above the upper part of the prosthesis. My original surgeon gave me a lengthy explanation and pretty much said this was something he did "on purpose". This second orthopedist I saw called it notching, and when I researched notching the only explanation I can find implied that it was a defect that was caused during the joint replacement process. I'm wondering what you or anyone else on Bone Smart knows about this. It's disturbing to think that the original surgeon made up a story? @Josephine, any resources on this??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think your surgeon's approach sounds like a good one. Jo is going to be the best person to discuss the notching and your 5 degrees off straight. She should be along shortly since you tagged her.

But I'm happy to hear you are comfortable with the bike and elliptical. You'll get excellent exercise and gain strength with that program. Good for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom