tbatt9
junior member
Thanks so much for all the advice and support. As its only day 10 post op I know I need to slow down my expectations but as each day passes I am hoping to see progress. I am growing concerned that I failed to appreciate how long and difficult the recovery period would be. When talking with the surgeon almost the entire focus was on whether to do this or not on someone so young. What was said about recovery was quickly dismissed by him as in essence no big deal. He did warn us that in younger patients the inflammatory response is greater and they tend to struggle more in the immoderate post op phase but he indicated that they quickly tend to bounce back. I didn't know enough to drill down on what he meant by "quickly". This is an issue as, I previously posted , as I look ahead with his school year set to start 8/11 and with the second hip set for 8/23.
Delaying the second one is very problematic especially with the big leg length discrepancy he now has. I have sat down to talk about the situation with the school guidance and administration but I don't really know yet what to tell them about how long he'll be out at this point so a plan can be formulated. He may be able to do some sort of remote school thru the computer while recovering but not sure if the small catholic high school he goes to can accommodate that fully. I guess I just have to be patient and see how long this hip takes for him and use that as the yardstick to tell school what to expect for the second one. Of course the longer we wait on that to try and get an arrangement made the harder it will be. But for now I'm unsure we have any choice but to wait and see.
No matter what the school says though I won't put him thru waiting around any longer than necessary to get this over with for him.
On an encouraging note he said yesterday he can already start to feel the difference in that the fixed hip feels in his words more "solid" and that the left is, as always, still very sore. So he is excited to get both fixed and behind him.
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Delaying the second one is very problematic especially with the big leg length discrepancy he now has. I have sat down to talk about the situation with the school guidance and administration but I don't really know yet what to tell them about how long he'll be out at this point so a plan can be formulated. He may be able to do some sort of remote school thru the computer while recovering but not sure if the small catholic high school he goes to can accommodate that fully. I guess I just have to be patient and see how long this hip takes for him and use that as the yardstick to tell school what to expect for the second one. Of course the longer we wait on that to try and get an arrangement made the harder it will be. But for now I'm unsure we have any choice but to wait and see.
No matter what the school says though I won't put him thru waiting around any longer than necessary to get this over with for him.
On an encouraging note he said yesterday he can already start to feel the difference in that the fixed hip feels in his words more "solid" and that the left is, as always, still very sore. So he is excited to get both fixed and behind him.
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
United States