Guest viewing is limited

TKR 14 weeks post op - feel like I’m going backwards

Your knee went through a whole lot of stress last week and has been angered by it. It is a normal reaction, so there's nothing to worry about. You've, more than likely, done no damage, just overworked those poor soft tissues. Take at least a week doing extra resting, icing, and elevating to help it calm down.
 
You have had a hard time overdoing it with those kids and not being able to take care of yourself because you were taking care of them. Give yourself some time to rest and recover. It’s hard to damage these things but it’s easy to aggravate the soft tissue. Hugs!
 
Thank you @sistersinhim and @MSuki … I’m happy to report that although my knee doesn’t feel as good as it did a few weeks ago, it feels better than it did a few days ago. Hopefully, I’ve turned the corner and can now continue with my recovery
 
Well I’m very happy to say that I feel like I’m back on the recovery road again. I went back to basics for a couple of weeks after my recent setback…plenty of rest, elevation, ice and some very very gentle stretching exercises and things are settling down again. My knee feels a whole lot better….still obviously a long way to go but at least I feel like I’m heading in the right direction now.
My latest worry is I’ve been suffering from a toothache since Thursday evening and despite my best efforts contacting my dentist, gp and 111 nobody has given me any assistance. I’ve got to ring the dentist first thing in the morning and hopefully get an emergency appointment. I don’t even mind the pain so much ( I’m used to it :bored: ) it’s the worry of having an infection which may spread to my knee.
This is one long tortuous journey isn’t it.
 
Thanks for the update! It’s good to read that going back to the basics brought positive results for you. I hope you’re able to get in to the dentist tomorrow to have the tooth looked at. Hopefully it‘s a situation that can be easily remedied without risk. Please let us know what you hear and best wishes for a good week!
@Maisie8
 
Hi @Maisie8 --hope your tooth problems will resolve soon. Your description of your setback sounds so similar to what I've experienced and I hope my resolution will be the same. I'm at the end of a wonderful 2 week trip--going home today--and my knee definitely doesn't feel quite as good as it did before the trip. I think it's too much of some kind of exercise and too little of others, and, as you say, of resting and icing. I plan to get back on track this week and hope to have as good an outcome as yours!
 
It’s been a couple of weeks since posting as I feel I’ve had a lot going on. The toothache persisted for two and a half weeks and despite 3 visits to the dentist, he couldn’t see what was wrong but was able to reassure me that there wasn’t any signs of infection. Anyway, with a special toothpaste and mouthwash the pain has at long last gone.

Whilst the tooth saga was going on, I’ve also had a flare up of IBS which I haven’t had for a couple of years. I feel like it’s been one thing after another the last couple of months.

Needless to say, this has all made me feel quite down and feeling sorry for myself, so much so that I haven’t done any exercises for about a fortnight.

I’ve been more like my old self for the past few days so have been back to doing heel slides, stretching, exercise bike and gentle squats. I have a new pain, it’s quite a sharp ache pain directly under my kneecap whenever I get up from sitting or lifting my leg onto the sofa or bed. It hasn’t been there before and I guess like all the other weird aches and pains, I’ve just got to work through it. But I was wondering if anyone else had the same pain ?
 
Wow! Sometimes, I read these posts and feel like I could have written them! The toothache...Yes, I had the same before my surgery and dentist found no issues with the tooth. I was so worried I would have to put off my surgery to have the tooth addressed. Now, 11 weeks post op, the tooth is still sensitive to cold but doesn't hurt to eat on. I think it is due to my nighttime clenching in my jaw. I wear a night guard but the anxiety of the knee got me clenching big time. Using sensitive tooth paste and it seems to be improving.

The IBS... Yes! I have had runny stools since the surgery. Diagnosed with IBS years ago but totally had it under control. Finally took some Immodium and it has helped a lot.

Point is, like you, I have decided these weird aches and pains (and the runs), I've just got to work through it. Progress is not a straight line but is certainly measurable and continuous. We're going to be ok!!
 
Whilst the tooth saga was going on, I’ve also had a flare up of IBS which I haven’t had for a couple of years. I feel like it’s been one thing after another the last couple of months.

Needless to say, this has all made me feel quite down and feeling sorry for myself, so much so that I haven’t done any exercises for about a fortnight.
I think it is really not uncommon to have a bad run of health problems when we are rundown post-operatively. That was my experience as well. In my case it really wasn't helped by looking after a two year old who goes to a childminder part of the week and then also getting sepsis from a gynae biopsy. I think the only lesson is to take it easy and look after yourself as much as possible. No one knows whether things like vitamins/probiotics help but definitely try to get as much sleep as possible and rest when you can.
 
After I had my bilateral knee replacement in 2013, and then both hips done in 2014, and 2015, I went through a few set back myself.. I was pretty anemic , and under weight from all the medication and no appetite....also, I started experiencing neck and upper back pain and my shoulders were suddenly inflamed... swollen... I even had a MRI done on them they were so painful... I never figured out why that happened. The doctor said I had upper back issues with my spine... arthritis no doubt. But, after a few months of discomfort... things settled down and it just went away... I still have back pain occasionally... but it is not too severe, and I can deal with it with herb formulas for inflammation thank goodness... I think all the surgury, drugs and such just had a negative impact on my health at the time... surgery is hard on you.
 
Hi Maisie8,
You may have some aching or swelling in your knee, especially after sitting for long periods or when walking, so I don't believe I'd worry at only four months post op. If it increases in frequency or intensity you can always check with your surgeons office for some reassurance, but hopefully it simply eases given more time. Keep in mind this recovery can last a full year for some and even longer for others. Thankfully the toothache and IBS flare have passed. That's great news! I hope you have a nice week. :)
@Maisie8
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom