TKR 12 Weeks post TKA complications

campdrama,
You are doing great, you have plenty of activity to and from work. Keep up the slower pace, with time this all will be behind you.
 
It sounds like you are doing great! After my latest TKR I had pain from the biceps femoris tendon (not ITB). As with most post-TKR discomforts, it eventually worked itself out. With all the walking and stairs you already do, I wouldn't bother with official PT on those days. That leg is still healing and needs considerable rest.
 
@Clipless what is the biceps femoris tendon and where is it? Maybe that is what is causing my problems.
 
Hi Folks! Week 13: The MRI last week showed just some scar tissue at the point where the ITB retinaculum inserts into the tibia. The scar tissue "tethers" the ITB. I think with use, PT and acupuncture, it will loosen up and ultimately be fine. I walked home from work yesterday, as the weather was nice, and my knee did pretty well. It's about 1.75 miles of NYC streets, which really exert quite a pounding on even the most healthy of joints! I'm a little swollen this morning, but overall, feel fine. Doing some elliptical, bike, etc. Starting, just starting, to feel hopeful. Again, as in a pregnancy, entering the second trimester and will have a beautiful new knee at the end!!
 
Here's my latest update: About 16 weeks out and still not as happy as I thought I would be at this point. I participate in all activities, with limits of course, and find that my biggest problem is the burning ache in my lower leg and ankle. I presume that this is from the change in my gait after my TKA, but it's really holding me back.
My flexion still has a way to go, but is perfectly fine for most normal activities. I've tried wearing shoes that aren't sneakers, and that seems to exacerbate the ankle pain, so I guess I'm still limited with my wardrobe!
I still have pain in the ITB insertion, some days are worse than others. Sometimes I get what feels like patellar pain, but I think it's more patellar tendon soreness. I'm on the stationary bike, elliptical, modified Pilates and back in the pool, as my schedule allows, but my walking stamina is a disappointment, due to the ankle burning.
The NYC streets are really hard on even the best of knees, but I was a walker, and now I'm not as free as I was. On the positive side, I can go down stairs again, sometimes pain free, though the patellar pain has angered me lately.
It's a waxing and waning recovery, but recovery nonetheless. I still haven't reached the "no regrets" stage, as I feel I haven't achieved the totally pain free days that I had hoped for. The idea of taking any kind of vacation doesn't appeal to me, but I am in desperate need of some time off from my very demanding job and the rigors of city life. On the flip side, there are a lot of great Broadway shows at 1/2 price, so I can at least sit in a theater and be transported away from my daily life for a few hours!! (Saw "Hamilton" last year...ahead of the crowds! Marvelous!)
There's still more recovery ahead. Everyone's timeline is different. I have to keep telling myself that.
Onward!!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well for the most part. You might reconsider the exercycle, they can flare the ITBand.
Wear the sneakers, they are only for now. Give it time, you will be back in other shoes as you heal.
Enjoy NYC!
I am in desperate need of some time off from my very demanding job and the rigors of city life.
Take a vacation!
 
Hi Campdrama! I can sympathize with you. My 1st knee is at 18 weeks and it is only this week that I feel like it's turning a corner. I've had deep scar tissue near my patella according to my surgeon. Since she showed me how to massage it last week I've seen improvement. Plus I've been doing the Saran Wrap at night. Whatever is helping I'll take it!
I hope you find your path to healing!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
About 16 weeks out and still not as happy as I thought I would be at this point. I participate in all activities, with limits of course, and find that my biggest problem is the burning ache in my lower leg and ankle. I presume that this is from the change in my gait after my TKA, but it's really holding me back.
My flexion still has a way to go, but is perfectly fine for most normal activities. I've tried wearing shoes that aren't sneakers, and that seems to exacerbate the ankle pain, so I guess I'm still limited with my wardrobe!
I still have pain in the ITB insertion, some days are worse than others. Sometimes I get what feels like patellar pain, but I think it's more patellar tendon soreness. I'm on the stationary bike, elliptical, modified Pilates and back in the pool, as my schedule allows, but my walking stamina is a disappointment, due to the ankle burning.
The NYC streets are really hard on even the best of knees, but I was a walker, and now I'm not as free as I was. On the positive side, I can go down stairs again, sometimes pain free, though the patellar pain has angered me lately.

I am in desperate need of some time off from my very demanding job and the rigors of city life.
You have a lot of activity for only 16 weeks post op. Remember that it really does take a full year for complete recovery, so you are only about a third of the way there - and yet you're doing almost everything you would do if you were 100% recovered.

Honestly, with a demanding job and walking those NY streets, I don't think your knee and leg appreciate the extra load you're imposing by doing the additional exercise. Cut out the bike, elliptical and Pilates for at least two months and see if your leg settles down again - because I'm sure all that exercise, on top of your job, is what's causing the pain. Both you and your knee deserve a holiday!
 
This is a long recovery and its not over at 16 weeks. I agree that you'd do better to take a break from all the exercising and then gradually add some in bit by bit. Especially with working.
In my experience it is much better to take the long view and feel like you are "underdoing" for a while and avoid some of these issues. With knee #1 I overdid and wound up with chronic tendonitis. Knee #2 I was much more careful to be gradual in increasing activity and when I went to the gym I started slow.

There are no shortcuts in this recovery. And certainly doing too much is worse than doing too little. IMHO better to have a few weeks that feel "wasted" than to have many more weeks or months dealing with the consequences of overdoing.
 
Hi Folks! Just checking in. At the 6 month mark this week and things are FINALLY starting to feel better. I had a steroid injection into the scar tissue at the ITB insertion a few weeks ago and that made a huge difference, surprisingly for the lower leg pains that were really holding me back. That issue has almost entirely cleared up! Whereas in the past driving would flare the ankle pain, now I'm pretty much pain free.
I'm struggling with a bit of a hamstring pull, but that too, is improving.
My flexion and extension are fantastic so I'm back to Pilates and biking. My PT is also a yoga instructor, so we've started doing a bit of that, too.
I feel encouraged that I will be ok after all, but this process is grueling, so for all of you newcomers, hang in there. It will get better!
 
Wonderful news!! I am happy that time and your own hard work have paid off. I over exercised with my first knee, but was very careful to add everything slowly with my second and it went along much easier!! It is nice to see light at the end of the tunnel.
 
One Year Anniversary! I never thought I'd get here. I must say, when they say it will take a year, they mean it!! I still am aware of my knee all of the time, but the discomfort I feel is so different from my bone on bone pain. I think I can safely say that I am doing things now that I couldn't do before, but I was quite active prior to my surgery. Whereas walking long distances would make my knee swell, that no long happens. I can kneel (controversial, I know) and my flexion and extension are more than prior to surgery. That has posed new problems with the ligaments and tendons around the joint, as they adjust to the "new normal". I have learned that things will eventually get better, and I still have a way to go, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I even ran for the bus! Of course my lungs were aching, but not my knee!
I'm back to Pilates, yoga, biking and some elliptical, though my knee doesn't like that so much. I still have a "pinching" feeling in the joint, especially after being sedentary for a while and moving around. Going down stairs still causes some "pinching" but sometimes not. I need to strengthen, but I've been lax about that.
Am I glad I had it done? Still not sure, but leaning towards yes. I'll check in again in a few months.
 
I'm very glad to hear that you are doing so well. Thank you for coming back again and letting us know.

Although we tell people that full recovery takes a year, it can take longer. I know that it was about 18 months before my left knee felt completely recovered - so there is still time for your knee to improve even more.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom