TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we've all done it! 3 steps forward, 2 steps back!
 
Hang in there. Sometimes it is very frustrating. It is the old cause and effect story. And then there is the mental harassing that we put ourselves through. We all have days we over do, but we need to look back and see the small but significant victories we have had. It is a long recovery. Knowing that you are missing your aerobic exercising, had you considered doing some arm chair exercises. They are seated, non-load bearing but do get your raise your heart rate. An example of one is Sit and Be Fit.
 
And we've all done it! 3 steps forward, 2 steps back!

Unfortunately, more like "two steps forward, three steps back."
This recovery thing can truly be very much like a roller coaster ride. you have a couple of good days ( or really good days) back-to-back and then whammo! Back in the dumpster for no apparent reason.

Do not waste time worrying about why this happens, but it does try your patience. Just keep focused on recovery and know that you will reach your destination!
 
Just look back to the beginning and you will see that there s improvement just not as fast or as much as you'd like
 
Just look back to the beginning and you will see that there s improvement just not as fast or as much as you'd like
I am wondering how many TKR recoveries are managed without serious depression along the way. I used to take a SSRI anti-depressant for years (up until about a decade ago) but I changed to a milder med because of the side-effects. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I need to talk to my Dr. about going back on the SSRI because I have been SO depressed lately because of my knee and the lack of progress and my life being at a standstill. It seems about all I have to look forward to since my last setback is going to bed at night. And it's 75% mental/emotional. I'm lucky my wife understands.
 
I had to go back on anti-depressants after being off them for awhile. After my MUA I had a lot more pain and became really depressed and still am with my slow recovery. I don't think it is unusual at all. It can be a long, frustrating recovery for many of us and some of us just need a little extra help to cope. :SUNsmile:
 
I had to go back on anti-depressants after being off them for awhile. After my MUA I had a lot more pain and became really depressed and still am with my slow recovery. I don't think it is unusual at all. It can be a long, frustrating recovery for many of us and some of us just need a little extra help to cope. :SUNsmile:
This has become, for me, just about the hardest thing I've ever had to do. And I didn't really realize it, going in. I had a different concept of the "recovery," without all the backsteps. But I see my doctor tomorrow at 8:00 and I will make sure he prescribes me the same anti-inflammatory steroid pills I took a month ago, which helped. Then I have to make sure I don't start feeling "too good" and screw it up again!
 
Boy do I know what you mean by ( "a different concept of the "recovery," ). My doctor says your young and lean you will have no problems, HUH! I wish they would not make blanket statements! Then you go into it with totally unrealistic expectations instead of being prepared for a potentially long recovery.
 
ALMOST EIGHT MONTHS (post-op) – Good weeks, not so good weeks... I've been off this forum for a couple of months. I had to get some counseling about my depression and I had to work hard to convince myself that I was improving. I'm still working on that. I have had weeks where I can take daily walks of 1/2 hour, do work around the house (we have stairs too), do my exercises and generally feel OK. Then I will suddenly notice a flare-up (tightening, heat) and not have any idea about what specific thing caused it (sitting at night watching TV will often cause a "tighten-up"). Then I'm in the dumps for a few days. It's a vicious cycle, but I still think I must be getting better, right? What drives me crazy is the continuous feeling that I'm not in control of my body, and that I still can't do the things I used to do all the time. And I'm also wondering about this "one year" milestone for recovery – is it real? What is the REAL range of time for full recovery? Anyone who has been through this maddening period of time and "unknown", please share your thoughts. Thanks!
 
I needed an antidepressant at about 4 months. I thought I had crippled myself for life, that something major had gone wrong in theatre....GP said it would be at least a year before I was glad I'd had it done and she was right, actually it was more like 15 months , and I still have uncomfortable times but not real pain anymore. Like others before me I thought , as I was relatively young for this op, that I'd skoosh the recovery and be back to normal in no time, didn't happen. It got better when I accepted that there wasn't a great deal I could do , just rest, ice and gentle exercise, I actually got quite lazy. It's not easy but you will get there. I'm not sure I'd like to be my husband and have to put up with me during recovery but , bless him, he was great
 
Boy, I'm right in the middle of this discussion. At 9 weeks and hanging in there. I'm my own worst enemy. I am on track - or so PT says. My issue is I need TKR on other knee, the rehabbing of one knee has really inflamed the other knee. So sad to think in several month's of doing this again. Yea for the good days. WE all have to stick together. eagle
 
DrFermento, I have taken anti depressants for most of my adult life and after surgery, I thought I had gone off the deep end. Your body was assaulted, plain and simple, I have found that the OS knows nothing about recovery and the toll it takes on us. You need to be kind to yourself and take things easy. I don't mean not to do anything but don't be so hard on yourself, our own expectation does not match what the knee expects. I am currently nearing 8 weeks and it took me a little while to really realize, this is my own journey, don't worry about what anyone else does or how they recover. I was very lucky after surgery with perfect extension and 130 ROM, not 4 weeks out. I thought I was completely recovered and soon discovered that I had miles to go. I hope you find a happy balance between exercise and taking it easy. I walk everyday but when I overdo, I rest and relax! Good luck, you are almost there.
 
HOLY #$@!!!, I CAN HIKE! Hello everybody and sorry for dropping out at times for so long. I will be at nine months on my left TKR in three days, and I can finally say: It's working! For the past couple of months, I have been focused on exercises and walks, and I was staying away from my leg elevating, just out of boredom with it. Over the past 2-3 weeks, my wife and I have been taking progressively longer walks/hikes in a nearby trail area that has a variety of surfaces, from hard dirt to deep sand to gravel. I had been previously bummed that my knee would seem to flare up after walks on the beach, and I had to consider the sand an "enemy" because of the uneven surface. BUT now I've changed my tune. It feels to me like the regular use of the knee over irregular surfaces has really helped to strengthen the muscles! For me (now, at 9 mos.) my knee will tighten up some if I sit for too long. I still ice, though not as frequently. If anyone would like to chat about their situations, please post! I am doing so much better – it really is a long-term battle between rest and exercise. Oh what a relief it is!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom