MUA 10 weeks post PKR both knees and 2 weeks post MUA

@Jockette FARM is no more since the new management took over and we no longer have a board of directors. That has all been moved over to another organisation.

As for the number of knees, sorry but I have no idea. It's not something I've ever thought about, would you believe!
 
@jenm1970
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Does anyone know how many members we have in the knee replacement part of this site? I ask because I am formulating a response in my head to the “professionals” at my next appt to explain how I’ve decided to approach my PKR recovery.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
If you plan to tell them that you are guided by what you've read on the internet be prepared for them to pooh-pooh you. Most of what's on the internet is pretty unreliable so I can understand that.
Most of us just do what we're going to do and don't bother trying to convince PTs or anyone else.
 
Most of us just do what we're going to do and don't bother trying to convince PTs or anyone else.
I agree. I don’t like debating with people and it really isn’t any of their business. It’s your knee and you have the final say what happens to it.

However, I think the link I gave you about the history of Bonesmart, is good for information to know, that we’re not “just a blog on the internet,” and Bonesmart does have medical authority behind it, and you can confidently follow Bonesmart’s recovery guidelines.
 
I told my OS absolutely nothing about what I was or wasn't doing. What he was concerned about was my function. He never mentioned any numbers at all or PT. I never told him I never took any PT. He was happy with what I could do.
 
Every day I wake up and think to myself, I hope today is better than yesterday. And most days it is, even if it’s just a little bit better. My swelling is worse by the end of the day and not just in my knees. My ankles swell considerably by the end of the day, but in the morning they are back to normal. My knees are still moderately swollen. What bothers me is the burning I’ve had since day 4 post op, when the nerve blocks were removed I started feeling a burning pain in both legs, from my upper thighs to my toes. I was prescribed gabapentin. The burning feels like a sunburn under my skin. It’s no longer the whole leg (felt in both legs, I had both knee partially replaced at the same time) now it’s just the knee area but it prevents me from walking well or much, it hurts to bend my knee and I wake up almost hour on the hour all night long, rubbing magnesium or CBD or just massaging, it helps but not much. So in short my question is, is this burning a “normal” part of the healing process? Thanks :-)
 
@jenm1970 First of all, I am so sorry for all you have been through. My heart breaks for you as I have been through a lot of what you are describing. Unless someone has been there, you just can't really understand what someone is walking through.
So thankful for this forum and support.

Anyway... I'm sorry, but I cannot find why you had the MUA. I see you were only 8 weeks post op? Do you feel this was a good decision for you now that you have had it done? I am just wondering if you could give any thoughts/insight to this for those of us who are finding themselves in the same boat. (OS recommending MUA)
I have been "threatened" with this procedure since day 4. (INSANE, I know....)

Hugs to you! xoxo
 
I had that burning pain too - especially that sunburned feeling on the top of the knee cap. Was so painful it could not stand the lightest touch. Hopefully the Gabapentin will help you - it definitely helped me when I had that burning pain!
 
@Momma-me and @sugarjo369 thanks for the messages
@Momma-me you asked about the MUA. At my 6 week post op appt my OS asked about my ROM, my R knee was 95 but my L was barely 90 and those were with my PT pushing. My OS said between 6 -8 weeks was the best time for and MUA. Something about he had just attended a conference about PKR, TKR and MUA’s and the consensus was the best results were at that 6-8 week mark. I debated and talk with my husband. At that point I had not found BoneSmart. Because I I was having (what I thought) was poor ROM (mostly flexion, extention was decent 1 on R, 5 on L) plus my walking was being affected because I wasn’t able to bend my knees, now I know that was due to swelling. Anywho, the OS and the PT said it was the best for me to do and MUA so I did. Going under again scared me. But the pain after was so similar to after surgery but I could walk without a walker, I thought what was I thinking? I’m glad to be here now on BoneSmart, I’ve learned a lot and now know time is on my side for healing not beating the crud out of my legs.

@sugarjo369 the PA at my pain clinic put me on gabapentin about day 7 post op. I’m still waiting for it to work :-(

I’ll keep plugging along.
 
@jenm1970 We all do the best and make the best decisions we can with the information we have at the time. We can't worry about what happened yesterday; but only what we can do today and tomorrow. That's it. And keep the faith.
Hang in there girl. I have been through much of the same things, and it literally can consume your every thought and chip away at not only your physical health, but your mental health as well.
Consider this a virtual hug from me (it's the best I can do) :friends:
You can do this!!!
 
It’s hard to believe that I am 8-1/2 months post my BiPKR and roughy 6-1/2 month since the MUA. I am walking farther and a faster rate. I get around so much better , way better than I thought I would after feeling so crappy for months. I honestly didn’t think I’d ever feel good again, I’m well on my way. I still have trouble with stairs. Thankful for handrails. Going up is much better than going down. When going down stairs I have to go backwards sometimes. I can’t carry anything up or down the stairs. I don’t have stairs at home, I have to traverse them in other locations, usually if no elevator is available. I know we all recover at different rates. I had trouble with stairs prior to my BiPKR. Are there others who have issues with stairs or did and now have no trouble? I am so thankful for the forum. Thanks in a advance for any advice.
 
I do still have trouble with stairs and I’m 2.5 years post op. Going up is better, but I need a handrail for sure, and a cane also helps, though I don’t use it anymore. I can only come down foot over foot if the step is really short.

Like you, I don’t have stairs at home and I hardly ever encounter them anywhere I go. My son has a second floor condo, so there’s a full flight there, but he lives more than an hour away, so I’m not there often.

I haven’t had a good outcome in general, from my Patellofemoral partial, so I’m sure that’s why I can’t do stairs at this point. However, in spite of my poor outcome, I have seen certain improvements in my second year post op, and still some now in my third year post op. Improvement was very slow in the first year.

So, you will most likely continue to improve.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom