MUA 10 weeks out and low ROM<

My OS was great. He didn't sweat the numbers and basically was all about using your common sense. Do what your knee lets you do seemed to be his attitude. Sure, PT was part of the "program" I think after that he didn't care and sort of let them do their own thing.

PT can have its uses, but you are in charge of your own body. There were things I just wouldn't do--such as squats. (I was too compliant with knee #1 and caused myself unnecessary pain) I was able to smoothly get out of them with knee #2 without making a scene. My go to statement was "not yet." On the other hand, I benefited from learning some stretches and having someone help me practice gait. Over the years I had developed a bad gait that felt "normal."
 
Absolutely, I'm all about the PT helping me with gait and mechanics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Yes, my PTs helped with gait, but you’re probably too early yet to work on gait. At this point your pain concern is probably icing, elevating and resting.

My staples were a nightmare, even with oxycodone. So I definitely advise taking something before getting them out. I had 38 the first time and 50+ with my infection surgery.
 
Yes, my PTs helped with gait, but you’re probably too early yet to work on gait. At this point your pain concern is probably icing, elevating and resting.
Very true. Gait is for a ways down the road.
 
Well rhis should be a piece of cake then . Lots n lots of connectors to remove. I'll take an extra pill. Thanks for the advice.
[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
FYI, today is 22 days post op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
I’m so glad my surgeon used stitches!!! Oh those staples look painful!
 
You are going to have a beautiful scar! Amazingly, it doesn't hurt too much having the staples removed. You'll have to post a picture after they are off.
 
Beautiful scar, there's an oxymoron. Can't imagine it will be pleasant getting the metal out. I'm feeling like more and more of a sissy....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Beautiful scar, there's an oxymoron.
It will be beautiful, because it will be a badge of honour, proof that you have done the right thing for your knee and for your quality of life.
 
You will have earned that scar. When I was at PT, all of us, men and women, would pull up our pants legs and show off our scars! We were proud of them. And you are not a sissy.
 
You'll do fine! Anyone who goes through this surgery is not a sissy. I was glad to have had glue for my top layer. Good luck tomorrow. Take drugs. :scare:
 
Hello all, Staples out today incision looks great knee in perfect alignment just don't have the bend that they want. I'm at 3 weeks and 3 days and only 65 degrees bending my knee, surgeon not happy he says in 3 weeks I need to have it at 90° or he's going to do a MUA. He wants me to do pt 5 days a week. Got some hard thinking to do here I know I don't do well with extensive PT not sure how else to get to 95 degrees in 3 weeks. There was a guy in the waiting room that had his knee operated on the same day and he had a hundred and ten degrees kind of depressing. Not sure I'm even able to get to therapy 5 days a week much less be able to put up with it. Any advice would be great thank you all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
What kind of bend did everybody else have a 3 + weeks? is 65° really not enough I guess if my surgeon is not happy with it that's all that matters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
is 65° really not enough I guess if my surgeon is not happy with it that's all that matters.
Nobody's bend is the same at any time. Each knee is different. And the only one that you have to please is YOU! You surgeon has already done is job. Now, It's you job to treat your knee like the newborn baby that it is! Your bend is just fine for 3 weeks. As the swelling and inflammation go down your ROM will improve. You shouldn't even be worried about ROM yet. Your main worry is healing your knee!
 
Wow, it's very hard to stay on track not sure what to do. I guess it all boils down to do I go to therapy and do the best I can without letting than hurt my knee or sit back on my own and hope things come out okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Well, I did no exercises or PT after my 11 knee surgeries and I am doing great! You knee knows how to rehab itself without anyone telling it how. Just work on healing it and that does not include any aggressive exercises. Just do your ADL and follow our recovery guidelines and you'll have a much quicker and easier recovery!
 
incision looks great knee in perfect alignment just don't have the bend that they want. I'm at 3 weeks and 3 days and only 65 degrees bending my knee, surgeon not happy he says in 3 weeks I need to have it at 90° or he's going to do a MUA. He wants me to do pt 5 days a week. Got some hard thinking to do here I know I don't do well with extensive PT
@rtkneeandy
IT sounds to me as if your knee is behaving perfectly normally.
A bend of 65 at just over 3 weeks isn't bad at all. It will continue to increase as long as you don't stress it and make it more swollen with too much PT.
You see, what is stopping your knee from bending more right now is that it's swollen. Just like a garden hose that becomes stiff when it is filled with water, your knee is stiff because of the swelling. As the swelling goes down, your knee will start to bend more easily.
So, instead of increasing the amount of PT you do, spend as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating your knee.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

As for your surgeon saying he will do an MUA if you haven't reached a certain number by your next visit - my, isn't he the impatient one!
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I want you to know that you have a choice as to whether you have an MUA and also concerning how often you go to PT. It is your body and your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it. Other people, such as your surgeon and your PT therapist, can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept the advice.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

In any case, there's very little merit in having an MUA so early in your recover. It would re-damage soft tissues that have just started healing and it will set back your recovery clock to zero. It's much better to be patient and let your knee heal some more.
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
 
Thanks for all the encouraging words, it really helps to have people to talk to about this and all the stuff posted above I've been reading for months it's just now that I'm here and when you have a doctor and the nurse in the room telling you what needs to happen to get better and then you have this site which seems to have all good results it's a tough spot. Up till now I have had no therapy except for the in-home after the operation maybe it's time I went to PT and did the best I can without them hurting me opinions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
I was one of those who did do PT but gosh - 5x per week? The first place I went was horrible! They hurt me and I was too dumb to realize it was not supposed to be that way (no Bonesmart then). Finally wised up and found a gentle place but only went 3x/week, not 5. Even though they didn't hurt me, I still got tired and needed to rest. Your dr. can't make you do any of those things. If you don't want to do what he says, tell him you want to let your knee have more time to heal before doing anything else. You are not even one month out. Good grief!
 
Back
Top Bottom