Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1 year TKR update

Monitor yourself with any exercise you do. A lot of this strengthening will come naturally through daily activities and mild exercises--taking walks, doing stairs and so on. Remember that this is a year-long recovery and there are no prizes at the end. :heehee:
Other than a well functioning knee.
It is very easy to overdo (such as with squats) and give yourself tendonitis--and that will set your activities back. As my PT said, a little soreness after exercising is ok, but it shouldn't last more than an hour afterward. Listen to your body.
 
I'm now five months out from my right TKR. In general, I'm doing very well. I still have a little tightness in the knee, but my ROM is very good and I can do most things unimpeded. The biggest issue I'm having now is that I have a lot of soreness in my lower abs, especially when I walk. Depending on how I'm feeling, I can sometimes go for 2 miles or more, but other times I struggle to go a mile. It's the muscles below the belly button; I'd almost think I have a hernia, but I know I don't. They could even be hip muscles as opposed to abs, I'm not really sure. I'm wondering if the muscles just atrophied leading up to and after the surgery, or if there's something else going on. Dr. didn't really have much to say about it. I haven't seen anyone else post something like this so I'm guessing it's not common. Anyone have any experience like this? Thanks
 
I'm now five months out from my right TKR. In general, I'm doing very well. I still have a little tightness in the knee, but my ROM is very good and I can do most things unimpeded. The biggest issue I'm having now is that I have a lot of soreness in my lower abs, especially when I walk. Depending on how I'm feeling, I can sometimes go for 2 miles or more, but other times I struggle to go a mile. It's the muscles below the belly button; I'd almost think I have a hernia, but I know I don't. They could even be hip muscles as opposed to abs, I'm not really sure. I'm wondering if the muscles just atrophied leading up to and after the surgery, or if there's something else going on. Dr. didn't really have much to say about it. I haven't seen anyone else post something like this so I'm guessing it's not common. Anyone have any experience like this? Thanks
If you had watched your surgery as I did, you would wonder why your Femur never got hammered out your backside.

When the weather changes, I ache every inch of my body and understand this can be normal for up to 2 years.,
I can predict the weather.
Good luck with your recovery.
 
No video for my surgery... The place didn't want to spend $$$ on surgery camera and cleaning of it.

But... in watching youtube videos it is a wonder that we wake up from the TKR ops without feeling like we got run over by a truck!

I literally felt great after my TKR and could put full weight on it with no pain what-so-ever. It wasn't until my patellar tendon ruptured that the pain started and from that it has been an uphill battle of swelling, pain, ROM, stiffness and somedays just wondering if an outer space alien found its way into my knee and is making it home.

Honestly, my wife if after me to get my right knee replaced soon. I told her "NO WAY" not until this left knee feels much closer to normal.
 
@Donkfish , I had similar issues at one point and in my case it was because my upper quads (which help flex the hip joint) had gotten tight and short from too much sitting.

I spent some time experimenting with stretches until I found some that I could do without hurting my knees. You might try the yoga pose called the Cobra stretch - it works for me if done carefully. A PT might have good advice or you could consult the book ‘Stretching’ - the author’s last name is Anderson I think.
 
Hello @Donkfish
I am sorry I don't have anything to offer in regard to your concern. Puzzling when your surgeon has no advice either. If it continues you may want to schedule an appointment with your Primary Care Physician. I hope it resolves for you soon.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like your thread title changed to reflect your current concern, please let us know and we will edit accordingly.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
No video for my surgery... The place didn't want to spend $$$ on surgery camera and cleaning of it.

But... in watching youtube videos it is a wonder that we wake up from the TKR ops without feeling like we got run over by a truck!

I literally felt great after my TKR and could put full weight on it with no pain what-so-ever. It wasn't until my patellar tendon ruptured that the pain started and from that it has been an uphill battle of swelling, pain, ROM, stiffness and somedays just wondering if an outer space alien found its way into my knee and is making it home.

Honestly, my wife if after me to get my right knee replaced soon. I told her "NO WAY" not until this left knee feels much closer to normal.
I watch the surgeries live. It was on a TV screen with only a sheet between my face and the Doctors. but fully awake and talking with everyone. The Anesthesiologist sat beside me, explaining things when it was happening. When they used the cordless variable saw to cut the Femur bones, she stated that I could not take those bones home for my dog, lol. Then when they sliced the Tibia, he said there is a nice steak for the Bar-BQ. tonight. It was funny until the freezing came out.
 
You're a BRAVE man! I could never watch.:scaredycat:
 
I'm now five months out from my right TKR. In general, I'm doing very well. I still have a little tightness in the knee, but my ROM is very good and I can do most things unimpeded. The biggest issue I'm having now is that I have a lot of soreness in my lower abs, especially when I walk. Depending on how I'm feeling, I can sometimes go for 2 miles or more, but other times I struggle to go a mile. It's the muscles below the belly button; I'd almost think I have a hernia, but I know I don't. They could even be hip muscles as opposed to abs, I'm not really sure. I'm wondering if the muscles just atrophied leading up to and after the surgery, or if there's something else going on. Dr. didn't really have much to say about it. I haven't seen anyone else post something like this so I'm guessing it's not common. Anyone have any experience like this? Thanks
Your body is one piece so changes in one part can impact others. When something isn't working right the body finds a way to do what you want to do by developing compensations, some of which can lead to other issues. The body is still adjusting to more functional knee. You might consider some direct ab/glute work, but if you just continue to walk as you are able these glitches will likely resolve themselves.
 
@Donkfish , I had similar issues at one point and in my case it was because my upper quads (which help flex the hip joint) had gotten tight and short from too much sitting.

I spent some time experimenting with stretches until I found some that I could do without hurting my knees. You might try the yoga pose called the Cobra stretch - it works for me if done carefully. A PT might have good advice or you could consult the book ‘Stretching’ - the author’s last name is Anderson I think

This makes sense and is kind of what I suspect. I'll give that stretch a try. Thanks
 
I'm now five months out from my right TKR. In general, I'm doing very well. I still have a little tightness in the knee, but my ROM is very good and I can do most things unimpeded. The biggest issue I'm having now is that I have a lot of soreness in my lower abs, especially when I walk. Depending on how I'm feeling, I can sometimes go for 2 miles or more, but other times I struggle to go a mile. It's the muscles below the belly button; I'd almost think I have a hernia, but I know I don't. They could even be hip muscles as opposed to abs, I'm not really sure. I'm wondering if the muscles just atrophied leading up to and after the surgery, or if there's something else going on. Dr. didn't really have much to say about it. I haven't seen anyone else post something like this so I'm guessing it's not common. Anyone have any experience like this? Thanks
Your body is one piece so changes in one part can impact others. When something isn't working right the body finds a way to do what you want to do by developing compensations, some of which can lead to other issues. The body is still adjusting to more functional knee. You might consider some direct ab/glute work, but if you just continue to walk as you are able these glitches will likely resolve themselves.
Makes sense. Thanks
 
It's been a year now, and I just had my one year follow up with the surgeon. It's mostly good news - he said Xrays, incision, range of motion all look perfect. I think he's a good surgeon, or "carpenter" as he calls himself, but he's not the strongest in terms of communication. I asked him a few questions, and his only answer was that while it's a very good operation, it's not perfect, so there may be some problems, and given that it's been a year, I won't see any further progress, so what I have now is what I'll have forever. So I wanted to see if this community has any different experience.

Here's what's going on. Generally, the knee is fully functional. I can walk, ride the Peloton, golf, etc. I'm not really held back from any activities I want to do. It does feel as though there's an ace bandage around it, like a band of tightness. It's not really a problem, just an odd feeling. And if I work it really hard, it'll be more sore than the other knee for a day or two, but it recovers. It's also "clunky". I feel things grinding away in there, and while I don't think others can hear it, it feels like they can, if that makes sense. Not painful, and not really a problem, just a weird feeling. Finally, sometimes when I pull my foot towards my body, with my foot on my other knee, like to put shoes and socks on, it can be painful. It passes right away, but there's definitely some sensitivity in the soft tissues somewhere.

If this is the way it'll be going forward I can definitely deal with it. I'm probably around 90 percent or better compared to a fully healthy knew, so I really have no complaints. It's more like I'm wondering what's ahead. Is there a chance that these issues will resolve and it'll feel like a normal knee, or is he right that nothing changes after a year?

Thanks again to this community for all the support over the past year. It really has helped.
 
I haven't had a TKR but had both hips replaced and can honestly tell you that there were a lot of improvements after that first year anniversary.
My second hip had weird pains and limits that persisted into the second year of recovery and just the other day I was exercising and marveling at how it is now a forgotten hip.
I hope you get that way, too. I opted for therapeutic massages during my recoveries. They helped me so much. I wonder if that would help you?
 
Sounds like you're in the normal range of experience. I think he's basically correct but I'd never give up on improvement. I think recovery follows a sigmoid function, slow at first, then faster for a while, then slower again. It's also not a continuous function. You can have no improvement for a period of time then suddenly gain a little.

Every TKR is different. My right knee from 2011 is still a clunker. My left knee from last July is smoother but I still wake up every morning with pain in it which works out as I move about. I have a mobility routine that I do almost every morning after awakening when helps considerably.
 
I had a lot of improvement in my second year post op, so you will most likely see that, too. Surgeons are good at surgery, not so much at recovery. There’s a lot about recovery they don’t realize.
 
Back
Top Bottom