• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Carol's new knee 1/9/24 and one to go

If your therapy clinic is so booked, can you switch to another clinic? If that’s not an option for you, I have to agree that you need to skip any group sessions.….especially one that promises to be “more aggressive.” You are healing, not strength building. Have your therapist give you exercises to do at home until you can schedule an individual session. And when you schedule, make appointments for at least 3 weeks and keep making them that far in advance so you don’t have problems. If they are that busy, they won’t care if you have to cancel later because you no longer feel you need them.

The important thing is to listen to your body and not feel that you have to do things that cause you more than mild discomfort when doing the exercise or in the 24-48 hours afterwards. Keeping your knee inflamed will slow your recovery and could result in some chronic pain issues. Remember you are in charge of how your therapy is done. You have the right to say “no” to anything.

The group class seems odd to me - it is for both knee and hip surgery patients and people are at various stages of recovery. I'm not sure how they can run it that way. I also am limited somewhat by my left leg that gets more aggravated with some of the exercises than the right one at this point.

My concern is that all my medical care is literally under one roof at an HMO - I can't go outside the HMO. My surgeon is in the same building (heck the surgery was in the same building) as well as all sorts of doctors, x-ray, urgent care - you name it. I am concerned that if the surgeon sees I'm not going to PT or not at a certain point, he won't do the 2nd knee because I'm not "doing enough" - he hasn't said that - in fact I haven't seen him since they wheeled me into surgery. If I email him, he answers personally - asap however so he's accessible. Maybe he couldn't care less as long as I get better. I don't see him until April 1st.

I'm feeling fairly good this morning - no problems from the PT yesterday. I'll have no problems doing exercises today. I've added the 3" step and I do a few here and there during the day. From my current PT and the two I saw post-surgery at home, I have a book of PT exercises. I'm leaning towards cancelling.

Also my knee has NOT given away on me now for 2 days -so knock on wood - that keeps up because if I could trust it I would probably try the cane for in the house. I'm able to walk without putting as much weight on the walker which is good. I'm tired of the walker!

@benne68 I was just hoping for something closer to 100. The PA in my surgeon's office said I was at 90 at the two week visit before getting staples out and there's just no way I'm not bending my knee more than I could then. I know I want to have more bend - I have a lot of roller coasters I want to ride haha!

I went online and took the earliest appointment I could get with a PT which is March 1st (I saw this guy pre-surgery and liked him so I know him a bit). I checked the box to be notified if an earlier appt. opens up so I can snag it.

I'm still signed for the "group PT class" on Tuesday which is 2 hours (!!!) long and she said is more aggressive exercise usually. Not thrilled for this but literally no one has an opening in the next two weeks for individual PT. I'll go and see what happens I guess.
This is so bad for your knee. Please don't go. 'Call in sick'! This is bad PT. This might be OK for a knee that 6 months old, not 1 month old.
I can't go outside the HMO
Then just don't go. If your doctor doesn't do your second knee, that's not the end of the world. There are plenty more doctors out there, especially ones that don't have the PT right in the same building as their office.
I was just hoping for something closer to 100.
What can you do now that you couldn't do weeks ago? This is what counts, not numbers, that can differ from day to day and therapist to therapist.

If your doctor asks why you didn’t go, just tell him you couldn’t get an appointment for individual PT and you thought this class would be too advanced based on what you were told. If anything he’ll then blame whoever told you about it….and go ahead and book the March dates, that will show your good intentions. Although I don’t think it’s likely that skipping PT would lead to a doctor refusing a surgery you need. Also to assuage your conscience walk and do some PT at home and you can also report that.

@sistersinhim I actually cannot go outside of my HMO to have the other knee replaced unless we completely switched insurances (which we can't do until January). I also am happy with my surgeon - seems like he did a good job as far as I can tell so far! We stay with the HMO because of my son's chronic medical issue which they pay 100% for all the very costly supplies and equipment so we aren't keen to switch. I don't know that the surgeon gives a flip if I go to PT or not as long as I have decent progress. He's never said that the next knee is dependent on any certain ROM number with the first knee.

I made an appt. for March 1st with a PT I saw last year and I liked him. I'm going to keep looking for cancellations to try to move the appointment up with him or another PT but I do think I'll cancel the group class. I've got enough exercises from my HMO PT plus the two different home PT's to keep me busy. I am trying to go walk every day for at least a half hour to an hour. Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughts on this - 2 hour group PT seems wrong for me and I don't want to go backwards at this point.

She isn't manipulating my leg. She's like "well you just had surgery so these things you can try as you feel like it.
I like this PT!

It does feel fairly strong which surprises me!
In my pre op class they told me not to be afraid the first time I stood up after surgery, they assure me the leg would be strong, so I always had confidence in the replaced knee.
My Dr didn’t start PT for two weeks post surgery. I had a program from him (and the joint manufacturer) in my phone that told me what to do each day, exercises, walking, etc. I took no pain pills at all, just the antibiotic for 4 days, a nerve pill for the weeks and Tylenol. I iced all day and walked every hour. Having my knees done (left 10/3/22 and right 4/17/23) was the best thing I ever did. Best of luck to you!

An appointment with my PT for Tuesday popped up on the app so I took it and cancelled the class. I don't feel like I need to see her again so soon but it's better than going to the class - and keeps me in the loop of going weekly. I'd like to be a fly on the wall and see what they do in that class!

Good Morning and Happy Sunday, selketine!
I wish you could be a fly on the wall because you'd likely be happy you weren't participating.
I think skipping that class will save you a lot of pain. Best Wishes for your appointment on Tuesday!
Let us know how it goes.
@selketine

Wow, so glad you got the appointment. I just can’t see how one class would be customized for people at all different stages. And I can’t imagine them keeping it at the earliest level, like you I think it’s more likely that it will be advanced and be up to you to stop when something is too much.

It's very frustrating to be saddled with that number because I thought I was doing pretty good.
Numbers don't matter, function does! You are doing well so please relax and enjoy that new knee.
I also have had swelling and not able to do do as many exercises after having PT - just feels like it takes me backwards for 2-3 days.
This is bad PT and isn't helping you one bit. When you go to PT, don't force your knee or do all the movements, just fake it. Or, you could just quit PT and do it yourself at home by doing your daily activities. That is what many of us did, and we recovered quite well.

This is bad PT and isn't helping you one bit.
I think you are right and the sessions are too much in a short time period - I do better spreading it out over the day for some reason. I don't have another appointment until mid-March and I'm going to work on things at the pace that seems to be better for me.

I had planned to go back to work at 8 weeks which is 2.5 weeks from now but my walking is still so poor I don't know how I can do it. I'm still on the walker and not driving yet. The surgeon signed my FMLA leave for 12 weeks. My replacement wasn't planning on working past early March. I may have to let them know I'll return mid-March and see if I can go a few hours a day to start.

I think that I was struggling to walk pre-surgery and very bad at it so my muscles are going to take time to get back to being able to walk normally. It's a frustrating pace but not sure I can do anything to rush it along other than what I'm doing!

I'm going to work on things at the pace that seems to be better for me.
This is the smart way to do it. Your body knows what's best for it, and forcing it to do something it's not ready for just doesn't help. I recovered by the activity guide and did really well on my own.
Activity progression for TKRs

When I quit PT I realized just that: spreading the reasonable exercises and stretches that I chose to do over my waking hours, not even counting reps, just doing a few here and there, never left me with a setback!

I was struggling to walk pre-surgery and very bad at it so my muscles are going to take time to get back to being able to walk normally. It's a frustrating pace but not sure I can do anything to rush it along other than what I'm doing!
Yes, when you come in at a deficit --which many of us do -- it certainly can make recovery harder. And remember, you are just a bit over a month into this year-long recovery.

I know it's hard to be patient, but you will get there with time.

Sending hugs! :console2:

I know it's hard to be patient, but you will get there with time.
I spoke to them at work today and let them know I probably can't start back full-time that first week of March unless I have a sudden improvement. I also realized I probably can't manage the restroom there (very few people work there so we don't have a mobility equipped bathroom with bars and such). I also haven't tried any stairs (about 6-8 steps up outside to get to the door where I work). I think they will be fine with me coming back for a few hours a week to start assuming the doctor approves. She reminded me that I'm approved for FMLA until the beginning of April so I don't have to come back at all if I can't.

Went for a short walk today at the grocery and went back to my home PT exercises. My walking is back to where it was pretty much and the bending and flexing seem to have not gotten any worse at least. Not my best week for some reason but I'm looking forward to no PT this coming week and doing exercises on my own.

We're supposed to get snow tonight! Have a great weekend everyone!

She reminded me that I'm approved for FMLA until the beginning of April so I don't have to come back at all if I can't.
I'm sure that's a big weight off your shoulders! Plenty of time to progress!

We're supposed to get snow tonight! Have a great weekend everyone!
We’re supposed to get 1-4” of snow here tonight in Delaware, too. But, the temperatures here will be in the 40s tomorrow through Monday, and 50 by Tuesday, so it should be an easy snow around here. :happydance:

Hey hope things are going well! I had some of that snow too not to mention temperatures from 15 to 18 degrees most mornings. Now that I’m home it’s 67 and the high this afternoon is supposed to be 79. I have to start “work” on Monday but it’s at home on my computer so I can stop and go as needed.

Now that I’m home it’s 67 and the high this afternoon is supposed to be 79.
I just saw your post over in your recovery thread - wow what a doozy of a trip home! At least it sounds absolutely amazing there temperature wise. Boy I'd kill for some warm weather. 43 and about to rain here - yuck!

I've been doing my PT exercises at home and still going out to walk every day. I'm practicing with the cane in the house - and have a 2nd cane I hold in my other hand in case my knee gives out. It is still randomly doing that about once a day - very annoying. Walking with the cane is much harder but all I can do is practice.

My knee bend seems - to me - about the same as my other knee now - at least when lying on the bed and sliding the knee up to bend as far as I can. It's still tight and my leg is still sore all down the length of the thigh and also around the knee.

When I get up in the morning I can't put my heel on the floor right away - which is something new - any thoughts on this? It stretches out after a minute but wasn't happening until about a week ago.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom