MUA Susie2023's TKR Recovery

Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate you and this forum.

At my last pt session, which was last Friday, I forgot to mention I was able to move the bike seat up one more notch! At 6 now and I was very comfortable with the reach.

I cancelled my 2 pt appointments this week. My horse got sick so I've been caring for him. And while the exercises have been good, I guess I'm feeling I can do more at home and learn from them. I think measuring for ROM while my knee is swollen, or not entirely relaxed is counter productive. At home, I have to massage my quad, really warm up, do exercises and bike first before it gets loosened up. I feel I have better control at home. But I am keeping my last pt session. I think she needs to finalize the physical therapy? My final doctor's appointment is Monday and I will go to pt afterwards. Lol, I'm tempted to cancel that session though. I'm not looking forward to the doctor's appointment but want to get this behind me.

I find the ROM increases over time very encouraging! But am wondering how everyone is measuring for it. Part of me trusts the process that ROM will continue to improve, the other part still hanging on to doctor's, etc. to push or lose it.

Love the magnesium suggestion. A friend also sent me the name of a magnesium oil she uses on her muscles. I am going to get both.

I have to say, some days I forget to take Tylenol, which is a good sign. I had one bad day this week, took 1/2 pain pill and Tylenol.

I've been concentrating on putting more weight on my surgical leg, extension, and walking upright. I can tell limping has caused me to bend forward and pain in my lumbar.

I hope everyone has a great day!

I find the ROM increases over time very encouraging! But am wondering how everyone is measuring for it.
My ROM continued to improve all through my second year. I never measured after I left PT at just before the 8 week mark. I could feel and see that my bend was increasing. Don’t stress over your ROM number. It’s just a number. There are so many other ways to prove you are healing.

I find the ROM increases over time very encouraging! But am wondering how everyone is measuring for it. Part of me trusts the process that ROM will continue to improve, the other part still hanging on to doctor's, etc. to push or lose it.
I wasn’t measured often for either knee. Two or three times at PT, that was it. My doc never measured me. IMO, it’s just a number, one that too many people obsess over.
Marie

I feel like my PT's were concerned about the ROM numbers, but my surgeon was not. When I went for my final followup he walked in the exam room, looked at me sitting in the chair, asked me to flex my knee and said "you're doing great". Not a word about measurements or numbers.

Not a word about measurements or numbers.
My OS was the same way. He just asked me to show him my bend and extension, which he was happy with. This was after no formal PT, just working at home as I could take care of needed things around there.

I hope your horse is OK. They can be so fragile.

Hi everyone! I've been meaning to update sooner!

I had a follow up with the PA on 5/1 thinking that would be my last appointment. She asked about all the nerve pain and sensitivity I experienced previously and was glad to hear it was better. I am still taking gabapentin. She asked me to bend my knee while sitting in the chair, thought it looked like 120, was pleaded and said I was doing great. But then said I will come back in 6 weeks for an appointment with the OS and another xray. I hope that's the last one. I had my last pt session that day too. She measured me: 110 flexion, -1 extension. And she updated my home exercises. I was able to move up another slot on the bike too!

I had an interesting sensation a week or so ago. Upon waking up, I felt like I could bend my leg more, like my hamstring and calf muscles were freed up! I had taken magnesium the night before, possibly helped. But also the swelling was down. I enjoyed that feeling, being able to use those muscles, for a few days. And I was walking so good. Then the swelling came back lol.

So my poor other knee decided it wants attention now. I am NOT having another TKR! My new knee does stair lunges better than my other knee. Going to baby it.

I still get pain in my new knee capsule. I still take celebrex, gabapentin, and Tylenol. Last night I had an annoying pain that was like a heart beat, thump, thump, thump. Actually that's nothing like a heart beat lol. It's interesting about this knee, every day is something different.

I mentioned before about my horse getting sick. He us much better now, will start a new medication soon, not able to go on grass, is insulin resistant. He and I are both on diets now. All I've wanted is comfort food but my body can't support these extra pounds! Possibly aggravating old knee.

I have found that the magnesium upsets my digestive system. I've tried 2 different types. So I ordered a magnesium soak. I'll post back how that works. My hamstring, calf and quad muscles, along with the tendons/ligaments get so tight and restricts my bend.

Being able to use my Recumbent at home has been great! And not having pt sessions anymore is liberating lol!!

have found that the magnesium upsets my digestive system. I've tried 2 different types
I use a magnesium spray to help with sleep. No digestive issues with that form.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Susie!
I hope you continue to do well and enjoy each new month more than the last with your new knee!
A great week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Susie2023

@Layla
Thank you so much!

I'm doing better these days. Still swelling and stiffness but expected. I've been experiencing some pain inside knee but I think it's due to stretching, gentle but working on ROM. My quad has gotten stronger now, doing steps and more walking. Doing ADL,'s, I'm not experiencing any rom limitations which I'm grateful for. It is less than my other leg but not by a whole lot. Oh my, I accidentally ran a couple of steps recently! Not ready for that at all, my knee wanted to buckle.

So I have some questions. I see my OS in a couple of weeks. Hopefully last xray and visit. I was rereading the doctor's notes from my MUA. I had arthrofibrosis. Was wondering if I could develop that again?

Has anyone ever used cold laser light on their tendons/soft tissue? A friend loaned me hers with instructions. Just wondering if it will help.

So 2 months from MUA, 5 months from original surgery, where should I be? I know we all heal differently, I am slow! And I don't compare myself with others, did that initially, was not helpful to me mentally!

And this is a weird one, my new knee just seems larger than my real one. Could be from swelling but certainly looks like a bigger joint lol! I'll look closely at my xray in a couple of weeks.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Spring! Can't believe it's June already. Can't believe how far I've come!

Hi all,

Having some issues/concerns, hoping someone has insight to share.

My LTKR was 12/27, MUA was 3/21/23, I finished PT May 1. I last saw my OS June 11th and see him again in December for year check up.

So I'm about 3 months post MUA. I feel I did very well in PT, though never getting the 120 ROM the doctor did under sedation. And of course, I know relaxed muscles under sedation is not the same as when we're awake so I do understand my ROM will get better.

I have concerns about my extension and new tightness on my knee. When my OS saw my extension he told me I still need to work on it. I can't hold my leg out straight using my muscles but if you support it at the ankle I get straightness (passive extension). So I know it can be straight. I'm just not sure what muscle to work on for that. I figure the quad but there are so many parts of the quad. And currently, I'm unable to put weight in the heel to support my body, like something isn't strong enough, kind of making me lean forward. Then the knee stiffness. While the swelling is subsiding it seems to be stiffer.

My doctor pretty much communicated that what I end up with in December is what I end up with.

My doctor pretty much communicated that what I end up with in December is what I end up with.
That certainly has not been true in my case. My ROM has continued to improve well into my second year and the tightness I was experiencing at 12 months has continued to disapate. I think our bodies are a lot smarter at healing themselves, if we don't get in the way.

I can't hold my leg out straight using my muscles but if you support it at the ankle I get straightness (passive extension).
So, the good news is that the extension is there and you just need to strengthen your leg muscles. But, rather than try to guess at which muscle groups need work, why not have a consultation with a PT or a trainer?

@Susie2023 I am having the same issue with extension. I can go pretty flat on the table, but not if I sit on the edge and lift my leg. My therapist suggest just sitting with my legs hanging on the edge of a chair and do leg lifts. Said I didn’t need to do anything fancy or add weight, just keep working at it to build strength in the quad.

Could your OS order you more PT to work on things you still want to improve on? I know I have a way to go getting my muscle back just because it’s been so long since I have taken a proper step. This has been a long road.

My massage therapist came yesterday Day 6 bc my quads in both legs felt so tight. I also felt like my surgical leg was a big log attached to my pelvis. I was swollen and she’s trained in various medical techniques so she did a lymphatic drainage w me. I felt like we were just chatting and catching up bc what she was doing was so tender and light I wasn’t sure it was going to really do anything, I was just glad for her to be there and that she was going to rub my feet and very tired upper body (from 50% weight bearing w walker). But when she finished I could not believe how loose my skin was. And It really felt loose and no more tight/log feel. Today I had a huge amount of drainage fr dressing (story in post op thread) but I’m thinking it also was related to this massage. I will see her again next week as it helped so much. Just tired which seems to be the norm this week. Good luck!

Hi all!

Coming up to 5 month post MUA (8/21/23). I have an appointment at the end of September for lymphatic drainage! So excited and hoping it will help release fluid. My knee is still very stiff, not as swollen as in the past which is great. But every morning is like the Ground Hog Day movie! I can see all the progress I've made since the beginning and so grateful.

I tried to go back to yoga, was doing so well prior to knee surgery, even desiring to study to be an instructor. I could not do child's pose ( if you're familiar with yoga). I was able to do other gentle positions, which was a positive. I decided to find some online programs for chair and knee recovery yoga to do at home. I don't feel like being in a class again right now, I don't think. I am practicing transferring to the floor and also desensitizing my knee for kneeling. I saw a video that a PT or OS posted about kneeling on a new knee, it was very helpful. I feel like I'm going at a snail's pace, some days fighting with negative thoughts. And not being able to do child's pose seems to have bothered me. I'm sure I'm expecting too much from my muscles and tissues so I am using alternate poses.

On a very positive note, I did get on my horse a couple of Sunday's ago. Had trouble getting my foot in the stirrup 1st try, dismounted and tried again with success. We just walked around, he's a good boy.

I try not to worry but that old negative thought comes back, will I ever have the ROM again to do the things I did before? Of course I counter it with positive affirmations lol. It's only been 5 months, 8 if you count replacement month.

I could not do child's pose ( if you're familiar with yoga). I was able to do other gentle positions, which was a positive.
Don't be overly worried about this. It took me a very long time to be able to get myself all the way down into child's pose, but I can do it now! It will come back ... with time. Just keep up the gentle moves and don't force anything.

And yes, kneeling will also come with time. It still (2 years later) feels odd to me, but doesn't hurt at all.

On a very positive note, I did get on my horse a couple of Sunday's ago.
That's fabulous news.

Just keep up the gentle moves and don't force anything
Agree with @benne68 . I can kneel pretty well fully back towards child's pose- but choose not to put my full weight back yet at nine months.

Hi Susie,
Take it slow and easy, as you are, and you’ll get there. At only five months post MUA, you have many more months to improve.

Good luck with the lymphatic drainage massage at the end of next month. Please let us know how it’s coming along for you after a few sessions. It may be of interest to others.
Happy Wednesday! :)
@Susie2023

Hello everyone!

I had my first lymphatic drainage session last week. My knee felt great for a few days, less swelling and pain. I did experience a flu-like response that only lasted a day. I thought that was interesting but the therapist explained sometimes certain toxins are released. I was hospitalized with covid a couple of years ago then the 2 surgeries. Maybe lymph backup? Anyway, going to have another session sometime later this fall.

So it's been a little over 6 months since my MUA. I am back taking yoga. I am pleased I'm still able to do a lot of the poses, albeit slower. Child pose is still a struggle, I do what my knee allows. Too much and it tells me. I try not to focus on my lack of ROM. Praying it will come back eventually.

My final OS appointment is in December. I don't know why I get anxious about the appointments.

I hope everyone is enjoying cooler fall weather!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks