TKR FitGal’s Recovery

@FitGal
Did my first 5 years as a Medical Technologist on Ft. Riley. I totally understand that mind set.

One comment about leaders.....my perspective only.
Leaders are human. The opportunity to “teach” your people compassion and perspective on how to deal with someone who is just “injured” not “broken” is invaluable. It serves them after they leave you.

After all....with that military mind set....wouldn’t they take care of you if you were injured in the field? Isn’t USC the same now as the “field”?

I don’t think your pill bottle has a “Humble Pill” label on it....maybe it is a dual prescription.
“Human patience/temporary condition” pill....

Bus will be by after I return from jail....

Off to jail in a Texas...

@FitGal I'm glad you got through that first long day! As I've been slowly going back into the office, I've noticed that my stamina is getting a bit better each time. Though I'm in a building with elevators, so it's certainly not as difficult! It's hard to let people help me, but I've also noticed how good it makes people feel to open/hold doors or go get something off of the printer. I was recently in a meeting in a room with two seating areas. One was a large communal table, but had high bar stool type chairs, and the other was a much smaller table with a few low chairs. Our marketing VP made everyone squeeze around the smaller table, knowing I wouldn't be able to get up into the high chair. I was embarrassed at first, but was glad I didn't have to try to climb or awkwardly stand for the entire meeting. I hate being high maintenance, but I'm just letting go and allowing people to be kind and accommodate me for a while. We would all do it if we saw someone else in this situation! :)

7546ED6F-4C84-4866-8E2F-788D0658E49A.jpeg Hi @FitGal I've got this horrible picture of a knee replacement which basically stops the nay sayers in their tracks it's in my iPad in the album "My :censored: Knee" so it's not only quick to whip out but it's nice and big and bright and really leaves no room for doubt as to the brutality. I'm keeping it thumbnail size here....

I'm hardly posting because (always touch wood) my life is almost back to normal. I keep up with a few of you but no longer read everything obsessively, I take it as a good sign.

Got a question, as I was standing today talking to one of my co-workers, I noticed that it really feels that my surgery leg is taller than my other leg. Is this something that will even out over time? I was valgus prior to surgery and had a somewhat "bent" knee for 16 years with limited ROM and I spent most of those years putting most of my weight when standing on my "good" leg. Is this why I may be feeling that my surgery leg is taller than the other leg?
This feeling is not uncommon. It should settle down over time.
Hang in there at work and plan on a knee-cation this weekend.

Leaders are human. The opportunity to “teach” your people compassion and perspective on how to deal with someone who is just “injured” not “broken” is invaluable. It serves them after they leave you.

After all....with that military mind set....wouldn’t they take care of you if you were injured in the field? Isn’t USC the same now as the “field”?
This is a profoundly useful prospective. I'm going to share it around.

Very deep for the lady driving the crazy bus.
What? Oh. Right. The patience bus. My mistake.
:heehee:

@luvcats
Careful.....I will rescind your assigned seat on that bus...crazy indeed..
Ooooh....no wait...you bring snacks....
Let me rethink this.....
Done... I would be “crazy” to toss you off the bus....

Signed Thinking only of snacks bus driver

Hi! I haven't been on here in awhile & I just caught up on your thread.
I LOVE the cane, you are doing great & I'm impressed at you going back to work so soon!! Take care of yourself, like @luvcats said I agree with what @Poctdb said about injured people. Wise words!
:loveshwr:

As to the shorter/longer leg:
I’m told they make you as even as they can in the surgery(more in a full than a partial), but then the trauma of the surgery makes it “odd” as it is healing. LOL, I got a thin little lift (1/8 or 1/4”?) from my foot doctor (not my OS) and put it under the insole, and moved it back and forth from leg to leg, depending on which one felt shorter! Sometimes I wouldn’t need it, and then it would start again. I did ask my OS and he was okay with me using it for a short time, for comfort. He watches me walk at every visit and checks for alignment, gate, posture, etc. After awhile, he said I should stop using it, that the legs were then aligned normally.
I have 2 lateral partials and used it for short periods after each to avoid aggravating my hips.

The opportunity to “teach” your people compassion and perspective on how to deal with someone who is just “injured” not “broken” is invaluable. It serves them after they leave you.

@Poctdb - thank you for this. This really helped me get through today!

@Steelergal - I got through the first day, but today wasn't as pretty - definitely needed @Poctdb's quote! Sounds like you have a great VP and team where you work!

@kneeper - yes - I may need the knee-cation even prior to this weekend!

@Benay - OMG - what a picture! I am definitely keeping that picture close at hand to show! I am so glad your life is getting back to normal - gives me hope :)

@Ladyala - thank you and I hope your vacation was great!!!

Last edited:
So, today was rough. I will save everyone the details, but I stood too long during the parent luncheon and am totally paying for it. Now an official member of the ODIC.

@Poctdb - save me the comfy seat on the crazy, patience bus when you get out of jail!!!!

@Benay - the picture is starting to put it in more perspective for me (esp since I did not have the stomach to watch the movie @Chemist sent to enlighten my understanding of exactly what happens during this surgery!)

@FitGal never watched the video, don't want to either. Pic is sufficient. Take care, take it gently.

@Poctdb - I was in so much discomfort with swelling and pain that I figured I needed to take yesterday and today off of work. Hope jail gets easier soon for you!

Sleeping and nighttime are definitely much more difficult than the daytime! But, I was having trouble prior to surgery with sleeping due to night sweats/hotflashes.... now I get the combination of both. I can't wait until I can get back in the gym for a real workout - cardio & strength - I sleep so much better then!

I have noticed that the upper, lateral side of my knee remains swollen - and that is where it really swells when I stand too long, etc. That is where they had put the drain. My drain came out a day before it was supposed to due to me moving the wrong way or something. Oh how I wish the drain stayed-in longer, as it makes me think that I wouldn't have to be dealing with this much swelling. I have tried gently "rolling" it with a Tiger Tail as I do for my quads, etc, but it feels weird when I try that as well as massage. Also, the pain/itchiness/sensitivity of the scar and the area around it is driving me crazy....hoping that goes away soon too!!! ....patience.....

. Oh how I wish the drain stayed-in longer, as it makes me think that I wouldn't have to be dealing with this much swelling.
Swelling is very normal at this stage of your recovery, especially if you do more than your knee wants you to.

My doctor had me keep the drain in for two extra days, because my body was generating huge amounts of fluids in the area of the surgical knee. Once the drain came out the swelling hit with a vengeance. In the last week it has finally come down to a more manageable level and with it the pain, but it is still there, still requires me to watch what I do and still requires icing after putting stress on the knee. I suspect, but can't prove, that getting off the blood thinning daily aspirin routine has helped reduce the swelling.

Last edited:
Hoping my seat on the Patience Bus is still available.
@FitGal : in addition to my new best friends, Ice & Elevation, I’ve grown quite fond of Napping.

@Benay : you’re just 10 days ahead of me. I’m hoping to follow in your footsteps - quite literally LOL.

@Neesie
You were one of the original riders....of course your seat is reserved....
@FitGal
Good for you....a day off to take care of you. Excellent......

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member