Bilateral TKR Rhody on the Road to Recovery

Rhodyrhody

senior
Country
United States United States
Well. It's done. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers, it's been quite the amazing experience. Will have (a lot) more to write later, but just wanted to thank this forum for the info and support!

Great to hear from you and glad all went well!

Anxious to read about your recovery. Rest, Rest, Rest, as much as you can!!

Congrats Rhody! Let us know how you are doing along the way. For now... rest a lot and enjoy as many naps as possible.

Great to see you over on this side, @Rhodyrhody! :welome: You’ve probably seen them before, you may have already read them, but you are getting your very own copy of our reading list of links that provide useful info and guidelines for TKR recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hey Rhody! Good to hear from you and looking forward to reading about your recovery!

Probably ho-hum for those that have been through it, but to me the whole thing has been amazing. Took a lot of notes in the hospital because I wanted to share the experience, and am sure many will find this "tl - dr", but here goes...

9/11 Surgery Day
Went to the hospital, spent about 10 minutes in the waiting room...got scrubbed up, IV started, and they took me to a 'pre-anesthesia' area. A nice gentleman there told me about what they were going to do for anesthesia, and it sounded like it was going to hurt. A lot. He said they were going to do a spinal injection and then some kind of deep thigh injections, after they gave me 'something in the IV'.

It seemed like 5 minutes later I was waking up in recovery and they were all done. Amazing. No recollection of ANYTHING from the time he said 'something in your IV' until waking up in recovery. A few minutes later, I was up in my room.

Felt great for the first hour or so...no anesthesia hangover, no pain at all. Talking to the wife and kids like it was just another day. They gave me some oxycodone and a meal (which I chowed down, having not eaten since the night before). Family left and PT came in to get me to stand up. Instead, I chose to vomit. They decided they'd try again the next day. Although...I never saw those same PT people again...hmmm.....

After up-chukking and resting on the x-axis for a while for about 20 minutes, felt much better. When I was getting sick, the pain was probably an 8 or 9, and after some more meds, it went down to about 6 pretty quickly. Watched the Red Sox, texted a bunch of friends, and that was it for Day 1. I expected some kind of anesthesia hangover, but it never happened.

9/12 Post Surgery Day 1
Woken up at about 2am and 530am for meds. Weird, but I didn't really mind being woken up because it made me thankful to know I was getting sleep.

Was finding during the day that, much like pre-op, there were positions that I could lie in where my pain was actually close to zero. But, per the advice of this board, still took them up on every single offer for medication. I think the first couple times I had the oxycodone, I got like a 10 second lightheadedness about 30 minutes after taking, otherwise, aside from pain reduction (awesome), no other impact (also awesome).

7AM - pain every manageable...3 PT sessions on walker use, in and out of chairs...to bathroom and back.

Pain well managed and they're telling me I'm likely to go home the next day. (I still can't even believe that...two knees replaced...home in about 48 hours). My hope is to get off the meds as soon as possible, so I can switch over to IPA therapy ;-)

Knees were kinda achy, but the most severe pain (both legs) was at the top[ of my calf. I was told that they injected something like Novocaine into my knees before closing uo. So far, as of 8:30 PM...all muscle pain.

At this point, I'm surprised at how close I feel like being able to work already. The pain wasn't that bad (miracle?) and other than a few seconds of oxy-induced lightheadedness from the first one, no real brain fog. Able to do a lot of reading and writing from the position I was in in the hospital bed. Thought perhaps the knees would start barking more once the 'novocaine-like' stuff wore off. But, to this point (and still) - I was really glad I decided to go the two-fer route.

9/13 Post Surgery Day Two
Tough night sleeping. Felt like my knees were being strangled and tons of pain (8+). Couple doses of oxy and other stuff made no difference. However, the dose I had at 6 am DID make a difference. When I asked my doc about it in the morning, he explained that whether the oxy worked or not was dependent on what was causing the pain. He said if it was due to swelling, the oxy wouldn't touch it. The 'strangling sensation' I was feeling during the night must've been swelling, because it wasn't there so much in the moring and the meds brought my pain down to about 4 or 5. Overall, kind of a rough night.

In the morning, a new pain cropped up at the top of both thighs. I'm told it was due to tourniquets. If it were the only pain I was feeling at the time, it would have been miserable, but that day, it was just another thing.

Met with PA and doc...decision to go home or not would be up to me and PT. Stunned that I'm talking about going home, less than 48 hours after getting bones in both legs sawed, drilled and hammered.

Right knee hurts worse than the left, which was odd because the OS said that on x-ray, the left looked worse.

Got some oxy at 10, hoping it would kick in and I could handle the stairs and go home.

Handled the stairs okay. Nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. PT kept telling me to slow down with the walker...probably good safety advice.

I still cannot believe that...after what they did...so recently...I can actually stand on my own two feet already. Amazing.

Came home around 3 yesterday afternoon.

Had some 'positioning' issues trying to get comfortable last night, otherwise ok. Long road ahead, I know - it's strange how I can be sitting here in absolutely no pain (zero)...like right now...but make the slightest movement and it changes the whole story. All in all soooooo glad I made the two-fer choice! I'm off the rest of this week and all of next week, scheduled for half days the week after that. Unless there are significant setbacks, looks like that's going to be easy.

Sorry for such a lengthy post...

Glad you made it through @Rhodyrhody . I will caution you: I only had my right knee done and it was pretty easy. I was walking all over the hospital hallways. My surgery was on a Monday. I was on Dilaudid from surgery day to that Thursday morning (I was blessed with no pain). A couple days after that, things weren’t so easy. Still no real pain, what I call discomfort. I’m telling you this because don’t be surprised if it happens to you. I walked better the first week than I do now (I’m day 18).

Good luck! Ice, elevate, rest. That’s your job now.

Ah yes, the absolutely no pain while resting in bed or sitting. I remember it well, because that was always precisely when the nurse would stop by to ask my pain level prior to dispensing medication. That lack of pain simply did not cut it for getting proper pain meds, because as soon as I would stand up....

Being at home and having full control of your recovery is a beautiful thing. You can elevate and ice as you like. Keep a pain-pill schedule that actually controls your pain instead of just chases it. Rest to your heart and knees' content. Also you are at less risk of infection. Home is the best possible place for recovery. So glad to hear you're home and doing well!

And that amazing moment when you first stand up and realize your new knees are awesome. :loveshwr: Yes! They really are!

You will likely have more swelling and maybe pain over the next few days as the injections you received wear off. Just elevate as much as possible, whenever not on your feet. That will help the swelling. And ice, wonderful ice, will help with the pain and swelling also. Stay comfy!

Thanks @InkedMarie , I know things can and probably will change, but right now, I couldn't be happier with the 'so far' outcome. I've got some pain straightening out my right leg and some pain with certain movements. But, I expected constant excruciating pain from the get go...and thankfully, nothing like that has happened at all (yet). Home PT visit #1 in a couple hours!

When you say “I’m off the rest of this week” are you talking about work or PT?

Thanks @SusieShoes - I've been doing some icing and elevating, but honestly, I'm totally comfortable sitting here with my feet on the floor typing. But, I do have a timer going on my phone so that I make sure I'm not sitting or icing too long

Great that you are home and in control of your recovery! Ice, rest, elevate and medicate should be your main things for next few weeks. Getting up and moving around doing your daily activities is all your knees need to recovery gently!

I'm off work today and all of next week.
Oh my goodness, it'll be way too early for you to even think about going back to work so soon. Your whole body, not just your knees, has gone through a traumatic surgery and will need at least 3 months to recoup.

Will have to see how it goes...not that much pain right now and no brain fog from the meds. Able to do tricks with the walker... :yay: I work from home, non-physical, not that stressful... other than the fact that the PT exercises they want me to do will eat up a bunch of my time, the return to work part time, after next week - barring any huge setbacks - seems more than doable.

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

Can you pop wheelies with your walker? Moon walk? Headstands? LOL. Glad to hear you’re done and onto recovery!

Congrats from another Rhody. Two weeks and then back to work is probably not going to work out. I know that Rhode Island State Disability will go the full 6 weeks (counting 1st week elimination week).

I work remotely from home also and could not handle sitting at my desk. It hurt too much, especially trying to get up. I ended up working from my recliner. Both legs in my cushions and my laptop and monitor on a bedside table (almost like the ones in the hospital).

But hey! If it works for you then go for it. Best of luck to you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member