Guest viewing is limited

Sleeping problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopsey

junior member
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
40
Age
81
Location
United States
I had my total knee replacement on October 18. I'm doing very well, altho the rehab is really painful when the pt person is trying to get my range of motion to 115. I only got it to 114 one time and that was with her helping.

Now, I am so tired. I feel absolutely sick from lack of sleep. The Dr. gave me some pills for sleep, but nothing seems to help. I got up at 1:30am the other day and took a hot shower thinking that would help. Nothing helps!
Any ideas? I'll try anything.
Thanks,
Martha
 
Not at all uncommon. Having major surgery upsets the entire body mechanism, plus narcotic pain meds and all that! No appetite, no sleep - very common consequences. But in a few weeks more it will pass. Different times for different people. In the meantime, make it a practice to nap when ever and where ever you can. Expect to spend half the night awake, get up and read, watch TV or log onto the internet.

It was one of the reasons I put up a games room in here, to help people while away those wee small hours when they couldn't sleep! There's a forum here (
broken link removed: https://onlinechristianforums.com/forum-games/) that's chock full of little games and has an broken link removed: https://onlinechristianforums.com/arcade.php as well! You have to register to join in but it's a nice little forum! Run by Rich, our own Forum Tech Admin!
 
It's almost six months for me and my sleep is still not good. I am beyond exhausted most of the time, don't know how I make it through work and everything else. I get restless legs, or I get uncomfortable and almost fall asleep but then wake up and am wide awake.

My recovery has overall been pretty good, so they say, and I have no major difficulties, but sleeping remains a problem.

3dogmom
RTKR 6/1/10
 
People told me about the sleep issue, but I didn't believe them. I, too, had trouble with sleep after my BTKR. It is all perfectly normal. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable. Pillows, etc, didn't seem to work. I went back to teaching on about two hours sleep and quickly figured out that that was not going to work. My ortho told me that they are not quite sure why it happens, b ut it certainly does. I took Ambien for ten days to re-acquire a sleep routine and, voila! It worked.

When I was having problems, though, I got frustrated; i then figured out not to fight it and watched Law and Order and other shows on late-night TV. It is absolutely normal and things will improve.

Tim C.
 
Indeed you will - just don't let it get to you while you're trying!
 
I hate nights of which you are speaking! All the normal stuff doesn't work....decrease caffine, limit naps, try relaxation etc. I have counted sheep, the number of times the overhead fan revolves, the number of times that my hubby snores....I have watched TV...even infomericals. Nothing works!

Tim suggestion of short term ambien my help. Others swear by magnesium supplements. Others have tried benadry.

Hope you can find rest soon...I know how hard it is! Bless you!
 
Yes, it seems that everyone's PT says different things. On Monday, I was told to bend my knee until I get tears in my eyes and yet my bend has been 120° for about the last ten days and my straightening is either -1 or 0. I thought I was doing pretty good until she told me I should be bending more!:cry:
 
You are doing great! It is the pt who needs to have her head examined! :wink: Work it til you cry?! :cry: Wow, that would make me want to head right back for more physical torture the next day!:skp:

Remember, YOU are in control! Tell the PT if it is hurting to much, you are stopping. My PT understands that I can only do so much and when he tries to push too fast, I have to open my mouth and say "stop." :shk: He listens. There are a lot of PT's out there, you might need to remind her of that if this continues!:skp:
 
Too right, Sonja! There are times when 'less is more' and this is one of them! Less PT gets you more ROM! Strange but true!
 
"Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were .............. "


wonder how gatiger and kath are doing?
 
Sleep can be tough....do try the Benedryl at bedtime. That worked for me. Also a heating pad on the small of my back helped with the restless legs.
 
I was given Ambien from my primary doctor before surgery, and he said try this it does work for some people. I took it twice and both times I slept great and then was up after 4 hours, wide awake!! My primary then prescribed Xanax, which is like a valium. He said his usually works better on some people. I have to say, I take this before bedtime and am sleeping better and better. I am 4 weeks out from RTKR, and am averaging about 7 hours a night. In the beginnig, I was lucky if I slept 2 hours straight. Maybe give this a try
 
Hi Martha, I had difficulty sleeping for awhile, I think that I slept as much in my chair as my bed, but in a few months sleep came. As far as ROM goes I have 125 degree's if I pull my knees back as far as I can without force, and I can get too 130 if I force them back, but it proves nothing to force them except impressing the OS with the numbers. I only had one PT do that and that did not go well at all, I indicated that I could still kick butt with my good leg.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom