Guest viewing is limited

Part gardening, part recovery post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITA
Joined
Jun 8, 2007
Messages
83,054
Age
85
Location
The North
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have this day, for the very first time in about 3 maybe 4 years, done a really hard day's gardening! Let me detail it for you

1. planted up two hanging baskets and one little pod basket
2. planted out 12 begonias, 36 pansies, 12 dwarf lavender, 2 dozen antirrhinum and 24 sweet peas!

[I also planted out 4 dozen lobelia: there's a tale to this - for years I've like to have lobelia in my front garden. I have this dream of having swaths of pretty blue blossoms cascading over the wall of my built up flower bed and the hanging baskets. The last three years I struck out because though the label said "trailing" they didn't. This year I thought one more time so I bought two trays of 24 plants. Just now I brought the labels in to enter in my gardening diary only to find I've bought UPRIGHT lobelias! :tantrum2: :tantrum2: :tantrum2: :tantrum2: :tantrum2: ]

To continue
3. put in 30 Maris Piper potatoes into three growing bags
4. moved about a dozen foxgloves and aquilegia from where they had taken root to a more convenient place!
5. planted out two aubretia and two pansies that have survived the winter in plant pots left on the drive way. They look a bit ropey but you got to admire hardiness like that! I reckoned they deserved a chance to come through
6. did a little weeding and tidied out the purple sprouting broccoli which is almost due for harvesting (yum, yum!)
7. moved 4 bags of peat that have been in the wrong place all winter. One more to me moved but I can't get it off the floor so my chap will have to do that!
8. moved 8 bricks that got left outside the back door
9. watered everything that needed it
10. tried to clean a green rubber mat with knobbles on that was embedded with moss and muck. Then remembered I recently treated myself to a power washer so got it out and christened it! Having dealt with the mat, started on the concrete outside the back door and then really got carried away! Was washing this and washing that - going great guns and then I sprayed lower down wall to get rid of some moss ...............

............................................ then I went indoors and put all my clothes in the washing machine and had a wash!
In future I'll know not to power wash a wall when I'm standing in front of it! :hysterical:

But the greatest denouement is that, having been out in the garden from 11am until 4pm, I have had not a single complaint from either knee. Not a whimper! Isn't that great?

So to all of you who are wondering what the aftermath of a knee replacement will be, wondering if you will be disabled afterwards - the answer is NO! Accidents or mishaps excepting, you get back your life in full. No ifs, ands or buts! Why waste time when you can do that? I can't tell you - I feel so good I could cry!
 
I'm very impressed. Sounds beautiful- well done .


I LOVE power washing.....could do it all day and not get bored....never trust anyone who doesn't enjoy jet washing! Lol
 
Oh wow! Hope you can post some pics of your garden later. It sounds lovely.
I am thrilled for you that you got to do all this and enjoyed doing it without paying for it with pain :)
 
You will too in time! Photos may come in about 3 months!
 
.............. then I went indoors and put all my clothes in the washing machine and had a wash!
In future I'll know not to power wash a wall when I'm standing in front of it! :hysterical:

[/SIZE]

I have been there, too! A lesson learned very quickly, too!


That is an awesome post and a testament as to what a TKR can do in resurrecting one's active and enjoyable lifestyle!
 
Fantastic Jo!! What a day! That makes me so excited for you and for all of us that we may one day accomplish what you did today. Can't wait to see those pics.
Maggie
 
I love those moments when it all flows, our bodies comply, and we can sit back and enjoy our accomplishments. So glad you've had such a great day!

I have a friend who had TKA many years ago. She said it continued to improve for years. These are good kinds of news to spread -- enough of the bad news!

To add to good news, I had my first bike ride (the one that moves) outside, about a mile's distance, with Sammy my lab running alongside. Plus did a bunch of chores (but not too much -- still tend to swell).

HOORAY FOR US!
 
Yay!!! It is so good to see good news. I know that it felt awesome getting outside in the garden. I have done a bit of puttering too...even saw my first hummingbird of the season. Be sure to share some pictures soon. Keep up and good luck with the green thumb!!
 
Wow....great post Jo! You certainly accomplished a bunch outside. The weather finally broke here in NJ....60 degrees and sunny. I also gardened outside from 11-3pm. No complains from my knee either. It's such a pleasure working outside and being able to walk with no pain. :biggrin:
 
But... but... I don't like to garden!

I'll just sit back and take pictures when everything blooms. :wink1:

But a good report is always awesome to read. :thumb:
 
Thanks for the inspiring post Mother Hen- no mention of chickens or eggs I noticed.:wink1:
I hope for the same in a few more months, at the moment can swim easily and walk much better but still getting stiffness after walking around the Sunday market this morning, or gardening for an hour. Sure it will get better with time and I too will garden all day with no pain. What a thing to aim for!
 
Wow Jo, I am tired just reading all you did! Well done! Can't wait for the slide show! :th_heehee:
 
I'm seriously jealous! Nothing around me but loads of sand and a few palm trees! Looking forward to returning to our home in Spain in the summer and some green!

Congrats on a great day's work!!
 
And to cap it all, my blood sugar was really down this morning! Obviously this is going to be good for my diabetes!

But I've just spent an hour outside during which I have cut back a big ol' rose and my raspberries, transplanted a few more young plants that seeded themselves in inappropriate spots and then ....

Well, I suddenly decided to plant out two shrubs that have been struggling in pots for years. I'm terrible at remembering to water them. One is an acer and wasn't too much of a struggle but the other is a 4 foot corkscrew hazel in an enormous pot. What made me think I could just carry it over to the hole and plant it, I don't know, but I sweated a gallon trying to get it the 6 feet across the lawn. Moved it about 6" and then thought :ideaIPB: why not use the sack barrow! Well, I got them both in and now I am having a rest!

My blood sugar really ought to be down another point tomorrow with all this exertion! :th_heehee:

This afternoon it's planting peas, green beans and board beans!
 
You are inspiring me!:ThankYou: I planted my outdoor kettles,large pots, and window box with impatiens. We have lots of shade and the summer is very hot here. Lots of ferns and caladiums.
 
Can't tell you how inspiring you are Jo!

Even though my ankle is killing me, the weather for the UK is awesome this week, and I just had to get in my garden like yourself. Pruned, planted and watered, about all I could do with my ankle strapped up, and with a 120 foot garden, and weeded about 46 pots, including 19 largish acers in pots I can't even move an inch!!. They are just beginning their Spring show, and the colours are amazing, from lime greens, brilliant orange, bright pink, purple and yellow, the most lovely colours and the garden looks like its June, not April!!

Can't wait until we move and I can get stuck into another garden that desperately needs some TLC, and although not too much planted in it yet - I am taking my container garden with me, plus some! We have a saying here in the UK - everything in the garden is lovely - and it is!!:wubroses:
 
It's just so invigorating, isn't it? After lunch I sowed lots of annual flowers in all the bare patches, watered everything and then set to assembling a little cold frame I bought in Aldi's for £30! Of course, that then had me searching for a power screwdriver (I have three - one was nowhere to be found, another was too heavy and the third needed charging!). Then I put up two bird feeders (but I never have any luck with birds coming to them so don't know why I bother!), had a big tidy-up, locked up the shed and came indoors to crash out on the settee! I've just woken up so am now going to bed! :th_heehee: Maybe more of the same tomorrow!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom