Recent content by Stripey

  1. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    Happy 4-week anniversary to me. My incision looks great, swelling is almost gone, my leg is getting stronger every day and I have no pain related to the joint replacement itself . I'm still using one crutch or a cane, but when I'm indoors I often forget to grab my cane when I get up and start...
  2. Stripey

    THR BruceH After THR Recovery

    Ouch, that is scary. Hopefully it is just a soft tissue bruise.
  3. Stripey

    THR Getting nervous

    @Reluctant hippy Yes, I had anterior approach both times with a smooth recovery. However, regardless of approach, the muscles in your operated leg will be weak for some time - weeks or more - while you slowly build your strength back up. So you can imagine trying to balance on one leg in a...
  4. Stripey

    THR Getting nervous

    The most helpful thing for me, besides all the recovery stories, was the article in the BoneSmart library about recovery aids. Most surgeons don't have time to discuss this with you; you are on your own to find out about it. I don't know what I would do without my sock helper, reacher/grabber...
  5. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    Isn't it crazy? I worried about gaining weight during recovery due to inactivity, but didn't want to lose weight either. I am entering my 4th week and my appetite is still iffy. Nothing appeals to me. I bought some Ensure to keep on hand when I don't feel like eating anything. I feel like I'm...
  6. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    @Mojo333 thanks - it helps to be reminded that it's temporary. I keep thinking that I should be feeling better by now. I've been feeling crappy in the mornings for reasons that seem unrelated to hip surgery. Monday I woke with a headache that persisted through the morning, Tuesday it was an...
  7. Stripey

    THR 16 days post RTHR, finally feeling back in the real world

    @kymamaw I'm doing pretty well. I'm suffering from "selective memory" of my first THR which I recall as being easier than this one. I wish now that I'd kept a daily journal the first the around so I'd know where I really was each day in terms of function and general well-being. I had a...
  8. Stripey

    THR 16 days post RTHR, finally feeling back in the real world

    Hi @kymamaw! I've been thinking about you because we had our surgeries on the same day. I'm so glad to hear your surgery was successful and you are recovering well. Ain't it great to be on the recovery side? I hear you about the weather. We've been having a stretch of sunshine but are having a...
  9. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    Oh, so true! Especially around here, this time of year. :yes: Almost makes those aches and pains worth it!
  10. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    Yesterday was my 2-week anniversary and I spent it mostly resting. We are having an unusual stretch of sunny weather and I may have overdone my walk around the neighborhood on Wednesday. Ended up having to snuggle with an ice pack when I went to bed both Wednesday and Thursday nights. I think...
  11. Stripey

    THR BruceH After THR Recovery

    Stepping back in terms of exercise and medication sounds like a good plan. I remember having sleep troubles late in my last recovery. I thought they might be related to weaning off of pain meds, which tend to induce sleep. It was annoying but temporary.
  12. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    @Fit4Family ironically, pain from the damage to my foot is definitely my biggest challenge as a result of this surgery. However, I do think it's getting better as I get more mobile. Sleeping has not seemed as difficult as the last time. I really dislike sleeping on my back, but I've been able...
  13. Stripey

    THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

    Had one-week follow-up visit yesterday. It was my first real excursion outside of the house since getting home from the hospital, and I was glad to be out in the fresh air (though it was a chilly, rainy day). Staples are out, dressing is gone and steri-strips applied. I am free to shower...
  14. Stripey

    THR BruceH After THR Recovery

    Ugh, the dreaded Costco setback! You know they move staple items around on purpose, hoping you'll see previously unnoticed items that you just can't live without :heehee: . Seriously, I can't believe it's been 4+ weeks. It sounds like you are doing really well!
  15. Stripey

    THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

    @VSlowLife I am just getting caught up on your thread. Sounds like you've had an exciting week! I too would have gone to the ER with calf pain. In fact, the discharge nurse told me to do just that if I experienced such pain and I'm glad your phone nurse did the same. It must have been a scare...
Back
Top Bottom