Recent content by sf-slim

  1. sf-slim

    TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

    Danna, I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing. Me too. I just posted as well, I think it's really 14 weeks though since we are a day apart. I admire you for going horseback riding. It's something I think I will always be very cautious about since that's how I damaged my knee 25 years ago...
  2. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    14 weeks tomorrow!...and I'm very grateful. The nerve pain subsided in about six weeks. I credit gabapentine and my PT knowing what to do. I saw my surgeon last Thursday for my three month check-up, he is very pleased, as am I. I'm going up and down stairs normally, though once in a while I'll...
  3. sf-slim

    TKR 2 days post-op

    Hi @Ollie I'm surprised that I haven't noticed you before. I had a RTKR on June 10th as well. In your post #33 you sign "Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014", but then at the bottom it says RTKR June 10, 2014. Did you have bilateral or is one a typo. In any case we have the same date so I'm happy to meet you.
  4. sf-slim

    TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

    What's scary is that just doing a little too much in physical therapy, would cause that kind of stabbing, gasping, piercing kind of pain. For me it was something else, but also a physical overdoing. I would have thought that some manageable swelling, some aching could be expected, but not this...
  5. sf-slim

    TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

    Hey @DanaDelight, Same thing for me, not the specifics that you are going through but major, sometimes debilitating pain, after some very positive recovery. I finally added an avatar because, outside of being my best friend, that's how good I felt early in my recovery and intend to feel that...
  6. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    Thanks @kneeper, I'm going with two months max since that's what my PT said, having my actual leg in his hands and testing my various responses and giving me exercises specific to this specific nerve issue. I'm also going with optimism and a positive spirit, they've served me well in my recovery.
  7. sf-slim

    TKR The beginning of my new life with a new knee!

    @DanaDelight, one month for you tomorrow, and me today. You've been through so much and so bravely. I do keep you in my thoughts and my heart and wish you the very best. I was on Lovenox, so even though an injection everyday for four weeks, there were no dietary restrictions or blood tests. I...
  8. sf-slim

    TKR Round 2

    The acupuncturist knew right away which nerve and how to deal with it. I know now that she is going to be a big help. I'm impressed that you are driving after three weeks. Although I was sure I could have, if it hadn't been for the nerve setback. My OS is very conservative. His formula is four...
  9. sf-slim

    TKR Round 2

    @Texan, @Second Time Around, my RTKR was June 10th and I'm going to drive for the first time today. I'm very excited about gaining some independence. I think this is a huge step for us. I'm going to try to keep it simple, no walking around, just two appointments. One is to my acupuncturist, and...
  10. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    @Josephine, Thanks, I knew I was just winging it. Hope to do it right next time. My PT, who I just met yesterday and like very much, seemed to know right away that the pain I was experiencing came from the peroneal nerve. He said that because of my valgus deformity the nerve had been contracted...
  11. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    "As for your neuropathy, I think you might need to see one of the following - a neurologist, a chiropractor or a pain specialist." Thanks Josephine, I too think the answers and hopefully relief will come from those specialties. I have my first outpatient PT tomorrow and they have electric...
  12. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    Josephine (I'm following instructions not to tag you), I so appreciate your very thorough reply. About the erector set it was brand of metal toy construction sets when I was growing up (dates me). My brothers and I built bridges and towers and all kinds of constructions. What called it to mind...
  13. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    If I'm reading this correctly it would be DRF1 sometimes going all the way down to G and H RF1, and sometimes (though not today) a numbness over my toes. I've seen my post surgical X-rays and it looks like someone left an old erector set in there that runs half way down my tibia. Also Phil...
  14. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    I had such an awful pain again that I'm going back on full dose Hydrocodone. I've been reading some articles about peroneal nerve damage during TKR. One of the risk factors that jumped out at me was about dealing with an extreme Valgus deformity. Which, in my case, made my surgery an hour longer...
  15. sf-slim

    TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

    Thank you Josephine, I did take the Hydracodone exactly as prescribed for two and a half days. It doesn't come close to addressing this kind of pain (and I don't think a week or two weeks of it would either). It just makes me dopey and does nothing for this. I would love to know what this could...
Back
Top Bottom