Recent content by sarainvt

  1. sarainvt

    TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

    @Josephine some of them are people I have met at the gym (when they see my scar they often will strike up a conversation if they have had one themselves), and others are friends or family members of friends and coworkers. I always ask about how they are doing, etc and most never mention some...
  2. sarainvt

    TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

    @Josephine, I have spoken with 11 different people, 10 women and 1 male.. It took me a minute to give you that detail. :-) Different ages, surgeons, and joints. But, all have no regrets and are happy with their new knees. Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  3. sarainvt

    TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

    I feel that sometimes OS's do not inform their patients on what limitations they may have post op. While I am doing pretty well and will continue to heal, I have since spoken to several people I know who have had replacements, and they all tell the same story about their knee always having a...
  4. sarainvt

    TKR New to forum: tkr December 1st

    Good evening everyone! Just a quick report on my progress at 4 months, and words of encouragement to others. Today I was measured at 0-120, and I can tell you that things have greatly improved since I posted last. I am back training my dog for agility competition, and I can get through a course...
  5. sarainvt

    TKR How am I doing?

    Tstead, I remember that exact feeling, and then all of a sudden I could lift my leg. Trust us. It is normal and your function will return very soon Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  6. sarainvt

    TKR 4½ years later^

    I had a problem early on with my quad not firing, and I used an empi Phoenix tens unit that would fire the quad for me and help wake it up. It really helped. Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  7. sarainvt

    TKR ROM getting worse at 6 weeks.

    @vinny, can't wait to read about your progress with increasing ROM to anything you want! I only had between 120-125 preop and am getting to 120 now. Would love to get this knee to around same flexion as my left (135). Good luck!
  8. sarainvt

    TKR ROM getting worse at 6 weeks.

    Thanks @metalheart! My surgeon is also a very fit athlete and focuses his practice with all things knees, especially (but not limited to), "younger and middle aged" athletes looking to recover at a level to allow some sports that other surgeons may not advise. He has been a conferring physician...
  9. sarainvt

    TKR ROM getting worse at 6 weeks.

    I just saw my surgeon today for my 3 month exam. I want to share a few things he said that is helping me and may help others struggling with thinking you should be at a certain point of recovery because of age or prior athletic fitness. Here are quotes from my visit: 1) "athletes and younger...
  10. sarainvt

    TKR ROM getting worse at 6 weeks.

    @bluesman, I am a considered a younger tkr patient at 50 years old and a former competitive athlete, and also thought I would breeze through recovery. While I am doing well, I too have had to learn patience in the recovery process and will have increased stiffness and temporarily lose ROM if I...
  11. sarainvt

    TKR on the mend

    Once swelling is down, moist heat is good for warming up the knee before stretching it. I used ice exclusively till about week 6, and from the green light rom my OS and PT. I do use ice after I exercise or on my knee for a while as it will swell some then. Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  12. sarainvt

    TKR Wondering if I am normal?

    Wow, 150 before surgery? That is amazing! I haven't been able to do that since high school! Lol.. Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  13. sarainvt

    TKR Wondering if I am normal?

    My surgery was Dec 1 2014, and I still have stiffness and soreness, etc. My PT can get me to 0/120, but I can only get myself 4/110-115. What was your flexion preop? Mine was only 125 before surgery, which is a good indicator that I won't ever achieve more than that in this knee. That is fine...
  14. sarainvt

    TKR Dreaded MUA?

    It band pain is plaguing me too. Doing all the recommended things. OS and PT both say it is the most common issue they see after TKR, but it will dissipate in time and following conservative treatments for it. Sara RTKR December 1, 2014
  15. sarainvt

    TKR New to forum: tkr December 1st

    @Celle , I am still on a regular pain management regiment of Advil/Tylenol every 4 hours with tramadol 1hour before pt and ice and elevation after pt or after I do my own exercises. I also listen to my knee and will not go beyond discomfort. Luckily my pt is on board with this approach. :-) thanks!
Back
Top Bottom