Recent content by Sagefemme

  1. Sagefemme

    Oral HRT (hormone replacement therapy)and hip replacement.

    @Wrknitout, I have estrogen pellets (inserted under the skin, they last 4-8 months) and had no problems after surgery.
  2. Sagefemme

    Seeing consultant tomorrow - does the journey start here?

    @Miss Muffet sounds like you are a bit of a worrier, which of course is not something you can change. However worrying about every little thing to do with your surgery has a big downside--mental exhaustion!! Remember that your surgical team will take just as good care of you whether you have...
  3. Sagefemme

    Considering a walking stick...a big step...

    I had a walking stick (meant for hiking, I think) from REI that was very smart looking, very lightweight, and collapsed down to nothing for travel or even to put in a biggish purse. I just decided to view it as sporting equipment, given where I bought it. People say all kinds of thoughtless...
  4. Sagefemme

    52 and have to decide by tomorrow for early THR/Resurfacing

    No, not will power at all. Merely the realization that energy spent trying to monitor and control everything that happened was energy better spent on healing. Also that trying to monitor and control mostly doesn't change anything except make me more mentally tired. The doctors, nurses, PTs...
  5. Sagefemme

    Foot/shin/leg cramps and OS ordered exercise

    Try taking a magnesium supplement, 500 mg daily. This often helps. Not guaranteed, but easy to try. It might take a few weeks to get better. My husband has this susceptibility to foot and calf cramps. Sometimes in the dead of night he wakes up yelling and I think there must be an armed...
  6. Sagefemme

    post-op personal cleaning

    When I was in the hospital after surgery an Occupational Therapist came to see me every day. Her job was to make sure I had a way of doing all the awkward things, including butt wiping. At first I thought it was silly, I thought, of course I can wipe my butt, but then I realized there were...
  7. Sagefemme

    Having THR end of Dec. Got some questions

    The position you are in on a motorcycle (bent at the hips and knees, thighs out to the sides) should be very safe, once you are fully healed. In fact it's the opposite of the position that is worrisome for dislocation (in the early days postop) which is knee crossing over the midline. Apart is...
  8. Sagefemme

    52 and have to decide by tomorrow for early THR/Resurfacing

    Along the lines of what @DGrant said, there is a burden that we (educated people living in the internet world) impose on ourselves to know it all before choosing our health care. Honestly, as a person who has worked in health care all my life, I believe that those who spend hundreds of hours...
  9. Sagefemme

    Just got the bad news. Scared and feel too young

    I have quite mild hip dysplasia, meaning I had essentially no problems until my late 40s or very early 50s. Then downhill pretty fast. When faced with hip replacement I did what we all do--deny, endless other therapies, supplements and bodywork--anything but the "dreaded" hip replacement. I...
  10. Sagefemme

    52 and have to decide by tomorrow for early THR/Resurfacing

    Best of luck, John, and keep us updated on your post op odyssey. We all love a good debate, and yes there is a bias toward replacement here, but there are plenty of resurfacing stories here as well. The more information for all who follow, the better.
  11. Sagefemme

    THR THR June 23 Dropped like a hot potato

    You know, hospitals are in competition (usually) with each other for your business, and if you have had SHAMEFULLY bad care from the nursing staff as you have, someone (director of nursing, who is often a vice president of the hospital) should hear about it in all its gory detail. They...
  12. Sagefemme

    THR Two days post op

    It's very common @M Aruelius to have the sensation the operated leg is too long. Usually this feeling is temporary. My surgeon warned me about this--he said he had in fact lengthened my operated leg slightly but I would stop noticing it, which I did, pretty quickly.
  13. Sagefemme

    THR Five weeks post-op - going slow

    I do think psoas (or any of the other half dozen muscles in the hip that function as hip flexors) issues are rampant, not just for us hippies, but for all of modern man and womankind. We all sit too much compared with our ancestors who spent much more time upright. All sitting over the years...
  14. Sagefemme

    THR Five weeks post-op - going slow

    PS remember Bonesmart mantra number 2; this is the one that applies to your situation the most: if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
  15. Sagefemme

    THR Five weeks post-op - going slow

    Remember that aggressive physical therapy is a uniquely American idea--those who post here from the UA (and to a lesser extent, Australia) find it bizarre that our PTs torture us to no advantage. Read what Josephine says over, and over, and over again: hips get better if given a chance--but we...
Back
Top Bottom