Recent content by Rosadogrose

  1. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    How kind, Layla. Thank you. Yes, I'm pleased to say that my progress continues. I sometimes get discomfort on the outside of my knee which I understand is referred from the glutes being tight. Hand massage and small machine massage help this. And still some kneecap stiffness. But the...
  2. R

    THR Unable to walk, lift leg, or abduct leg since THR

    I haven't had hip surgery but was told the same as you after my knee surgery when I couldn't lift my right leg. Do more squats (I couldn't do a squat at all), try harder, had my leg painfully manipulated. Finally two things happened: at the six month clinic during a painful manipulation with...
  3. R

    Revised PKR to TKR Week 1 better than week 2. Is sciatica causing my pain?

    One of the kind responders on this forum wrote that she spent the first two months on the sofa elevating and icing and another person suggested to me that I elevate and ice three times a day for an hour each time. I did the latter and that brought the swelling down and got me through a...
  4. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    @Legseleven! I've just read your story and regret not finding it sooner. Aside from both living in England we have a lot in common. First there's the revisions. Do you have a date? I will be sending my very best thoughts and wishes on the day and all days around it. Then there's your...
  5. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Hi Layla Thanks for thinking of me. I am delighted to report that I'm doing really well. Most of the time I'm walking unassisted, I'm swimming again and gardening and driving and going to the grocery store. Planning a trip for next year. I have some stiffness still, but nothing to write...
  6. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Thank you all. I live in England and the Lounge Doctor has to come from the US at more than two and a half times the price. Here is what I used for my first two operations. It is about 10 inches high at the top. What the NHS nurse wanted was for me to use this as a base plus two further...
  7. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    I have found the Bonesmart posts about elevation and icing on this threat so helpful and have made progress spending the last few days on the sofa with my leg iced and elevated as much as possible. The idea of the first two months like this is very reassuring. The NHS had given me conflicting...
  8. R

    TKR RTKR February 12th Recovery thread

    I totally agree with the idea that if you need to take extra pain relief to do the exercises you shouldn't be doing them. Who knows what's happening to your knee when it's numbed. There's no point in flaring it with too much exercise, I've discovered. One useful PT expert said to me, 'When it...
  9. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Benne68, there's a specialist knee physio in El Paso, Texas, who makes the same argument about the muscle imbalance causing the problem in the first place. He explains that the more you do the standard, quad-focussed exercises the worse you make the muscle imbalance and hinder recovery. I...
  10. R

    Revised PKR to TKR PKR to TKR after 4 short years

    I've just had a revision from a medial PKR to TKR with hinge because in the hurly burly the medial collateral ligament was badly damaged and they couldn't put it right. The surgeon who did the revision told me that with many people the revision surgery recovery doesn't take longer or much...
  11. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Interestingly, it has been the surgeon who did all three operations who agrees most with the Bonesmart point of view, Jockette. His strongest and repeated advice. has been, 'Stay off your feet.' Easier said than done when you're living alone. Atypically he twice intervened to get me carer...
  12. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Yes, I tend to agree. My physio told me that I have strong legs and I can still easily do leg lifts and sit to stands, and my range of movement is good, so, as you say, my priority is not to get any more swollen than I have to. I sometimes feel I'm swimming against the tide because the...
  13. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Thank you. I spent much of today elevating and icing and do feel better with less pain. I can't quite as much as I'd like because I'm widowed now and still have to do things for myself my husband would have done. But I do have carers come in twice a day for half an hour. I appreciate this...
  14. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    These two messages are so helpful and I will take this advice. Thank you!
  15. R

    Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

    Thank. you, benne68. That's reassuring. Because I;ve had two previous failed surgeries I think I'm panicking with the pain. It really does hurt! I'm elevating three times a day 30-40 minutes and icing five or six times a day 20 minutes.
Back
Top Bottom