Recent content by nasruddin

  1. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    The orthopedic doctor he saw when I was with him went over his hip x ray & didn't seem concerned about bone density. That was pretty recent. DEXA scan is a lot more particular, & perhaps there are other tests. I think we should leave that be and if the time comes when he's eligible for this...
  2. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    He does have 2 conditions that orthopedics have already told us are blocking him. I didn't realize this at first but he was told several times over the past 6 mos, including in an appointment where I was a note taker, exactly what their issues were. However, on his own, he tends to interpret...
  3. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    I'm taking the relative lack of replies as an indicator that the doctor's remarks probably don't reflect the reality of surgery go/no go decisions.
  4. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    He has a referral - in fact he finally got one himself from a previous-now-departed-thank-goodness PCP and that's where he got his X-rays & diagnosis. It's the follow up from this that's been not so great. My friend doesn't interpret feedback very well. He does have some medical conditions...
  5. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    About PCP's: I found out by accident that we had shared a PCP at one time, and it was one that I had "fired" for incompetency and lack of attention. At Kaiser you have to work to find a good one AND be lucky to keep her or him.
  6. N

    Inoperable avascular necrosis?

    I'm helping an elderly friend and former teacher navigate his way thru a maze of medical issues and what looks like Kaiser questionable behavior to the point where he could get a hip replacement. I believe his diagnosis is at stage IV avascular necrosis. His hip is terrible, causes him a lot...
  7. N

    THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

    No diagnosis but I still have some of these symptoms nearly a year later. There's one half-palm sized area that has a persistent sensation of tingling and some pain when pressed - and even a couple varicose veins.
  8. N

    THR Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Accompanied by 2-Calcified Hips (the Right Fused)

    If it's any help, this has been my experience. My lower back issues are not the same as yours or probably anywhere near as severe as what you describe. The relief was nearly instant. My back problems had been quiet during the latter stages of hip decline but still noticeable. They were gone...
  9. N

    THR There and back!

    6+ months out & the hip is mostly doing very well. I did want to mention a couple of things.... I had COVID over the holidays (thanks to a ... well never mind) & either it, or the Paxlovid, brought some joint pain. Mostly here & there, but interesting it was quite noticeable in the repaired...
  10. N

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    Bruising - I have to think that swelling, the healing process, and some alteration in blood pressure in the surgery area results in various capillaries here and there being broken. I can't think of another explanation as long as there is no new trauma. I had very little bruising at all but I...
  11. N

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    About elevation - it's been explained to me that there is a major repair process kicked off by the body as a response to surgery. The lymph system plays a big part in this fluid flow & I don't think it naturally pumps on its own, it relies on movement and other tissue pumping to move its fluids...
  12. N

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    About that icing - I didn't really get going with swelling & some related discomfort until about this day after surgery or maybe more (Tue-Sun). I'd think about icing anyway. And make sure your foot is elevated when you elevate. Another thing - you might want to consider a calf compression...
  13. N

    THR Hip #2 17 months later

    Going Back to Work so soon - wow. I was ok but a bit non compos mentis that 2nd week. I did a few hours of project work but sitting for very long was kind of a chore (everything was "kind of a chore") Shows: Netflix' "Beef" - karma studies New season Black Mirror - very seasonally...
  14. N

    THR What do I do if the pain is awful

    Things didn't get really bad for me until about a month before. It was sure one long month. One thing I learned from a UK Dr, Jonathan Hull ("Hip Expectations") - get on a medication schedule. If you can take Tylenol, start taking it automatically several times a day (& alternate with NSAID...
  15. N

    THR There and back!

    How can it be three months! Everything is so different. I can remember the pain, the lack of mobility, and the last few really bad weeks ... and then it was done. I have learned that chronic pain is like a steady drain, a tax on your resources. Once it's relieved, or reduced, you can find a...
Back
Top Bottom