Recent content by Murry

  1. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    It's been several months since I posted here. I continue to have limited range of motion, inflammation and excessive pain. As my previous post indicates, the possibility exists that metal allergies are the cause of my ongoing post-surgical woes (I'm now 15 months post-surgery). I finally decided...
  2. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    @Celle -- Yes ma'am, I did both a skin patch test (administered by an allergist) and the blood test from Orthopedic Analysis. The skin test indicated a reaction, although not severe, to cobalt, while the blood test revealed a high-level reaction to nickel. (Please see my earlier post.)
  3. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    I'm officially one year out from my TKR and I continue to have excessive inflammation and pain. After reading some material on this forum and elsewhere about metal allergies, I decided to meet with an allergist to discuss this. I had skin patch testing, which showed a "medium" reaction to cobalt...
  4. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    I've been quiet for several months now, just waiting to see if things get better. I'm now almost nine months out from my TKR and my recovery continues to be much slower and more difficult than I expected. I do see very tiny improvements, but am still having a good bit of pain and swelling, and...
  5. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Thanks for your response, Josephine. My answers to the questions are essentially the same as they were awhile back when I answered them, so you can refer to that if you'd like. But I really don't want you to invest that much time when you have so many others on here who need advice. Mostly I was...
  6. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    I'm almost 7 months out of surgery and I need a pep talk or some advice (again) about my recovery. I've been icing, elevating, and resting, doing as many normal activities as I can, but I seem to be stuck in a bad place with pain and inflammation. (For the benefit of anyone reading this who...
  7. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Reporting back after my six-month visit. The OS says he isn’t concerned with my PAIN, just my woefully deficient ROM. Think it was only about 100 degrees (?). He said he could put me to sleep and make it bend, but he feels it would just get stiff again. And then blah, blah, blah (think the...
  8. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Thanks to all who took the time to encourage me. I appreciate it so much. I know it probably sounds like I'm sitting around wallowing in my knee despair, but I actually am very, very busy and pressing on with everything I can do. I'm involved in starting a counseling ministry at our church, as...
  9. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    So, here I am days away from my six-month TKR anniversary and feeling pretty discouraged about the pain I'm still experiencing. I know, I know -- I should expect a 12-month recovery, so I'm only halfway there. But dang -- I really thought I'd be off all pain meds by now (am still having to take...
  10. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Any opinions out there about whether walking on a treadmill is ok? I'm about 18 weeks out but am still having a hard time walking "normally." I also continue to have enough pain to require me to take Tramadol (50 mg) every 6-8 hours and I don't want to make that worse, but all this inactivity is...
  11. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Thanks so much, Josephine. I appreciate the help you’re giving me and so many others through this site.
  12. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    I was going to PT 3 times per week, where I would do heel slides (the PT would gently “assist” here to increase ROM) is , quad sets with the e-stem to aid contraction, and some manual therapy to work out muscle knots on my quadriceps and hamstrings. I also had an CPM machine I would use for...
  13. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Here are my replies to your questions: 1) pain: from 2 when sitting with ice on it and taking Tramadol to 7-8 when meds wear off and after a busy day when I’m on my feet a lot 2) medication: Tramadol 50 mg - 2 every 6 hours; I can get by on one pill at night ot when I’m not active 3)...
  14. Murry

    TKR My Knee Odyssey<

    Hi @Josephine -- Thanks for your response from a few weeks ago. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. When I first joined this forum, I actually did wholeheartedly agree to allow you to ask me any questions you might want to ask, but I never did get those questions from you. It's...
  15. Murry

    Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

    Wishing you the best on your surgery! Since this is your second go-round, you probably know what you’ll need, but something that occurs to me: plenty of ice for your ice (cryo) machine. Another huge help to me was a thing we got to make getting on and off the toilet easier. It has arms (like a...
Back
Top Bottom