Recent content by Mikem132

  1. M

    Reverse Shoulder Replacement Day 2 Post op total reverse

    I started PT right away. Sling on for full 6 weeks. I wanted to burn it. I am still going to PT twice a week and have only a few more sessions. First was "passive" stuff. Then after a couple weeks I began active movement, then when sling off strength training. Everything hurt at first (in...
  2. M

    Reverse Shoulder Replacement second replacement questions

    I had total shoulder on Jan 31 and part of that was repair/relocation (I think) of the bicep tendon. I believe in my case the tendon was the one being "impinged" in my old bad should joint. The pain of that was extreme. The post op report said something about it being in bad shape and they...
  3. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    I'm in the home stretch of physical therapy. I've been doing strength training for over a week now. A lot of pretty simple things are hard to do, but after a week or so of doing it at their facility and home it gets much easier. I have pretty decent range of motion but do lack strength. It seems...
  4. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    Just checking in after 2 weeks of active motion. Getting stronger all the time. Bought a cheap set of resistance bands to do all that stuff at home, too. It seems every day I can reach just a little higher, lift a little bit more. PT is very happy with progress. Anybody thinking about getting a...
  5. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    Just a quick update. I am doing more active stuff every PT visit (2x a week). I can really notice that I am gaining strength almost daily. I can lift my arm higher (a little) all the time. I am really serious about doing the exercises at home. I also go to a local community gym and do vastly...
  6. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    6 weeks after surgery. Sling is off, and I'm driving again. These are two big restrictions gone and it feels great. My shoulder is doing real well. It is not strong yet, as I just began active therapy yesterday. I was cautioned (I warned the PT guy) not to overdo it. I like to exercise and he...
  7. M

    Reverse Shoulder Replacement The first day post op

    They found something wrong with my biceps tendon, too. They cut and reattached it to another area of humerus. It was extremely inflamed and had tendonitis (I think). I suspect this was the tendon that got impinged quite often for years and REALLY hurt. Anyway, seems this kind of thing is kind of...
  8. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement 1 month P.O.

    I had TSR same day as you. Still in sling. They stick to the 6 week plan, I guess. I started PT day after operation (pretty lame version). I started real PT about a week later and have been going twice a week since. Still passive. Sling off in 6 days. I dodged the pain bullet. Not sure why...
  9. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    I am now just over 5 weeks post op. I feel a little better every day. Still in the sling until next Tuesday. I have been "cleared" to drive (with a totally legalese statement from the Dr saying it's an individual choice and I should practice in an empty parking lot first). I start active...
  10. M

    Reverse Shoulder Replacement The first day post op

    I'm only 3 weeks post TSR. Things improve fast at first. Stay positive. Glad you have help. My wife has been fantastic, although doesn't have to to much for me except drive at this point.
  11. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    Just over 3 weeks post op and I have begun isometric exercises to get some strength back. Thus is encouraging. My scar is still kind of purple but seems to be healing fine. I continue to fine tune sleeping in bed. Last attempt was two pillows under head, one under arm. This is good for 6 to 7...
  12. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement The Journey Begins

    I was not depressed. In fact, leading up to the surgery I was excited to begin improving rather than getting worse over time. Maybe because I had no serious pain I had a better attitude. I am a very driven person and almost immediately began to try to do things for myself. I could get dressed...
  13. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    Now I'm 3 weeks Post Op and yesterday at PT started to do some isometric stuff on the shoulder to rebuild strength. This is the danger zone for me. I am very familiar with isometrics and can push too hard very easily. The trainer talked to me about this and just wants me to push, basically, a...
  14. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    No, I'm not driving! I mention that because in the year or so leading up to surgery (longer, I think) there were plenty of times my right shoulder was so bad I had to pick it up and put it on the steering wheel. Once there, I was OK. Shifting (floor shift auto) I reached over with left hand. So...
  15. M

    Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

    I am about 2.5 weeks past surgery and it seems like I improve every day. I know I am probably the exception, but I really didn't have much pain to speak of. I got that "Exparel" nerve block and, as I was told (didn't believe it) it lasted about 5 days and covered the period most have the most...
Back
Top Bottom