Recent content by Megan33

  1. Megan33

    Travel after hip replacement?

    @charmed-life We now aren't going until end of March to FL since I want to be able to golf and they want me to wait till week 8 post op. It has been such a brutal winter- although I haven't been out in it much! The sidewalks are so icy I just avoid going out unless necessary. Tonight, -20...
  2. Megan33

    Travel after hip replacement?

    @smyles It seems very unusual to have that type of pain. You have to go to a different Dr who will take you seriously. Besides your hips aren't that old - aren't they supposed to last 20+ years? There has to be something going on and you have to find some medical professional who will listen...
  3. Megan33

    THR Out with the old, in with the new!

    Sounds like recovery is going well. I also had lots of trouble with the narcotic pain killers (which work great but made me terribly nauseous) and it's good if you can get by on Tylenol that's awesome. I'm 3.5 weeks post op and doing great! No more cane, and now focusing on walking and PT...
  4. Megan33

    THR Feb 25 Birdlady moving to recovery side

    Good Luck! It will go great and you will soon be saying like I am "why did I wait so long to do this?" Keep us posted.
  5. Megan33

    Travel after hip replacement?

    Great suggestions. We have postponed any travel until end of March and then it will be close to 8 weeks after my surgery. There is so much walking in airports I might still take the cart but not sure. I'm walking on the treadmill now 2x a day for 20 mins and will soon be up to 30 mins 2x...
  6. Megan33

    scared in US: op in March

    Hi there, just wanted to respond since I was scared too (no surgeries!) but now I am 16 days post op and off pain meds, walking 15 mins 2x per day on the treadmill and WITHOUT bone on bone pain. I can tell you I was terrified in pre-op (thought about leaving the hospital, but they gave me a...
  7. Megan33

    THR 16 days post op

    In regards to pain, I know everyone is different so if you have pain, take the meds that work for you. They gave me enough pain meds for one month, so I don't think you have been on them too long. Narcotic pain meds make me so nauseous I had to quit taking the Oxy (and then Vicodin) after 1...
  8. Megan33

    Sleeping positions

    I think you have just overdone it - I had my birthday (my big 5-0!) a few days ago and I was standing, walking and pushing it more than I had post-op. The next day I had a headache? and knee pain I neverhad before. But a few days later it was gone. I also had the anterior approach. You...
  9. Megan33

    Sleeping positions

    I just had my two week post-op appointment and my Dr told me I had no restrictions about sleeping positions. I had the anterior-minimally invasive on my left hip. They removed the sutures, and said the stiches, remaining dressing etc, would come off gradually. I am mostly sleeping on my back...
  10. Megan33

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    I had my THR anterior minimally-invasive technique on 1/30 at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, MN. Dr Owen O'Neill from Twin Cities Orthopedics was my surgeon. Now I am at home and let me report: 1) The staff at the hospital and Dr. O'Neill was GREAT even after we arrived in a...
  11. Megan33

    2014 January Jackpots - Are you having hip surgery in January?

    Also I am having the minimally-invasive technique and will report on that.
  12. Megan33

    2014 January Jackpots - Are you having hip surgery in January?

    1/30 is almost here! I'm so ready for this and have everything pretty much ready. My surgery was moved from 7:30 am (meaning I would have had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am) to 9:30 am. I have been nearly totally sedentary and house bound during this polar vortex in Minnesota and in...
  13. Megan33

    Travel after hip replacement?

    I hear you! It's -22 in Minnesota right now and who knows what the wind chill is. I'm really looking forward to going to AZ mid-March (6 weeks after my THR) In regards to what you were saying about "normal" - one of the things that really propelled me into taking action is that my sister...
  14. Megan33

    Travel after hip replacement?

    Great idea - I'll make sure to contact Delta about that. With the lines at security recently, that will be nice. Last time we were at the airport, a person with a motorized cart came up to me and asked me if I wanted a ride to our gate - my limp has gotten so bad and noticable. I also just...
  15. Megan33

    Having THR (Minimally Invasive) 1/30

    I also don't have any precautions and I'm already setting out shoes/boots without laces. Right now I use slip on and zip which I have to contort to get on. I feel you with dressing being an Olympic event! So tired of it.... You should go out and try to golf with your new hip! Fred Couples...
Back
Top Bottom