Recent content by maryo52

  1. maryo52

    TKR Just curious

    Some of us are slow. The thing is that pushing for faster progress results in more pain and maybe even slower progress, or (in my case) a backslide. Are you able to take NSAIDs? That incision is quite angry. NSAIDs were a big part of my recovering well.
  2. maryo52

    MUA knee so stiff<<

    I had that experience, but many do. I know how upsetting that can be. My physical therapist had different ideas than my knee about how far it should be bending, which didn't help. I had surgeries where my knee was simply slow to bend, although my first TKA I had arthrofibrosis. In both cases...
  3. maryo52

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR

    I am in total agreement with @mendogal! I'm wondering what your surgeon says about the extension lag?
  4. maryo52

    TKR Tissue pain outside of knee

    I did not have bruising. So that adds to the pain. They say "no pain, no gain" but that was not true for me. For me, avoiding pain gave my knee a chance to heal from the trauma. It's hard to say no to your hired professional (surgeon, PT). They want the best for you. For me the PTs always...
  5. maryo52

    TKR Question on pain and swelling six months post TKR

    Remember that recovery takes a year! During one of the many sagas of my right knee, I developed what's called AMI or arthrogenic muscle inhibition. My PCP himself had it, suspected I had it, and confirmed his suspicion simply by grabbing my thighs and noticing the difference in muscle mass. It...
  6. maryo52

    Knee Infection* So Much Pain (WhyMePlease)

    For some of us, TKR recovery goes amiss. I have chronic pain (from neuropathy) and had a very painful initial TKR due to arthrofibrosis, so I identify! Out of control pain is so difficult to sort out and treat. Medication wise, too much of any drug has its issues. But following the label and...
  7. maryo52

    TKR Question on pain and swelling six months post TKR

    My first TKR I was offered a silly little ice bag not big or cool enough to get through all the bandages. I had no effective icing whatsoever and had a poor recovery. Surgeries #2 and #3 I iced day in night in the hospital, and continuously all day at home for 2-3 weeks. I think it makes a big...
  8. maryo52

    TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

    Sorry to hear you are struggling. But apparently the hope of painless function is there. I once worked with a doctor who would use the phrase "Tincture of Time," and I rather loved that term. It's what works in so many instances. Probably right, your "bad" knee needs time, and it might help to...
  9. maryo52

    MUA Scheduled for MUA

    I can only speak for myself. I had terrible arthrofibrosis which PT never helped (and, honestly, I think it might've contributed to the arthrofibrosis). I had a MUA and for the first time could sit on the side of the stretcher and dangle that leg. But in three days it was clearly regressing...
  10. maryo52

    TKR Help!! 2 year post surgery TKR, now in pain again! Revision?

    YAY!! No infection!! You will find that your previous experience will help you recover better this time. I had RN and PT home visits after my first revision, and when the PT expressed concern that my bend was not what it should be according to her, I called the agency and cancelled PT. I had...
  11. maryo52

    TKR Help!! 2 year post surgery TKR, now in pain again! Revision?

    Boy can I relate. I had an cute infection in 2021. My original TKA in 2010 was kinda lousy and the parts came loose and I had a revision in 2019. Then one Sunday in things went off the rails. I woke up feeling fine, by noon the knee felt stiff, and by evening I could barely walk. Slew of...
  12. maryo52

    Knee Infection* TKR Staph Infection: 2-Stage Revision Needed

    @Jday My orthopedic care folks are not far from you -- Dr. Andrew Freiberg. I had a revision in 2019 at Mass General wit him, and then when I got the infection he had relocated to Newton Wellesley.
  13. maryo52

    Knee Infection* Delayed Prosthetic Joint Infection

    I had a late infection -- past the two year mark. Regardless, it's a tough road. My heart goes out to you. I was admitted to the hospital the night before surgery because I was so sick (my infection was acute). It took two more days for me to become strong enough to leave, and another day for...
  14. maryo52

    Knee Infection* TKR Staph Infection: 2-Stage Revision Needed

    Your story hit me right in the center of my chest. I know doctors are bombarded with overly concerned patients who they have to calm down. A few of these doctors stop being properly watchful. Your original knee doctor has failed you in several ways. But right now your work is recovering. Your...
  15. maryo52

    Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

    Wonder if anyone has developed some scar tissue around the patellar tendon a while (years) after surgery. My knee seems to crunch when I get up, or pop -- as if something went out of position when I sat, @skigirl I remember you had something similar. I'm pretty sure the surgeon would not want to...
Back
Top Bottom