Recent content by Mailman

  1. M

    THR Wait for the doc I want, or risk complications because of waiting too long?

    I was in your situation and would have waited though lucked out with a cancellation that changed a 4 month wait to a one week wait. Cancellations are common. As others have said trust and expertise is worth waiting for. I was operated on at a teaching hospital.. OHSU in Portland. The first time...
  2. M

    THR Very Scared

    I doubt anyone goes and has their hip joint replaced without a significant amount of fear and apprehension. I refused for 5 years due to fearing that at 75 I might risk cognitive decline due to the anesthesia until two things happened. I finally found a surgeon I knew intuitively I could trust...
  3. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    For best results post-op It seems that its really important to use the new joints just enough to maximize recovery but not too much. Tai Chi, yoga, Pilates, resistance training, essentially anything short of contact sports will be best until full recovery. Right? But when is that? IOW the...
  4. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    Thx Layla. Coming up on 3 months left side September 12 (and 11 months rightside September 18). So here are my thoughts on short and long(er) term recovery. I would like to hear from people who are further along than I. Compare notes so to speak After quick short term 3 week recoveries each...
  5. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    @skcoj1 said: " Knock me out next time. I don't want to hear bones being sawed like at the butcher." To me there is nothing humorous about this. Whether you are conscious or unconscious during a THR, your surgeon is working to vastly improve your quality of life, not provide you with a lamb...
  6. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    6 weeks update Happy to report that at 6 weeks I have completed short term recovery. How do I know? I don't have much reason to think about the new left hip all the time anymore so I don't and when I do, I must pause for a split second and ask myself... "Now which side was that on?" That tells...
  7. M

    THR Recommended Length of Time From 1st. THR to 2nd. THR (Music_Man's June 17 Recovery Thread)?

    Glad to hear your recovery is going well! I was so excited by the recovery of my first THR October 18, 2023 that by the end of November I thought I was ready and eager for the second hip. However, scheduling was 6 months out (June 12) and I had no pain, only discomfort in the pending hip. I had...
  8. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    Thanks @myglasshalffull. I must admit I like watching it too but more than that I hope it inspires others to ask what contributed to a faster recovery. After all, if I, as a 75 year old man can do this, than perhaps others should not so easily settle for less? Here is what I believe has...
  9. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    1 Month + 1 Day Post-Op Close to completion of short term recovery, when I will stop thinking about my left hip 24/7 and return to normal life. 12 second video today July 13, 2024: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ps5k0HZxnqy5e7-jIorB7pRXgi3lnfv/view?usp=sharing
  10. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    @myglasshalffull you wrote: "Trust me on this, if I could have been back at my normal lifestyle quicker I sure would have been & it had nothing to do with my mental outlook... I left the hospital BELIEVING in 30 days I would be running around with the dogs again & back at my job. But it wasn't...
  11. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    @Freyagirl I'm not advocating for being awake during surgery. In describing my experience I'm trying to point out that reducing both the fear of surgery and the stress of unmet expectations during recovery are not only both possible but will actually speed up recovery. That is my lived...
  12. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    @mendogal you wrote: "Most people come here because they are frightened that there is something wrong. They have often been reading the absurd accounts online ("my neighbor's cousin had a hip replacement and was out playing golf a week later!"). Before we offer specific constructive advice, they...
  13. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    Some people seem to think that age is directly related to recovery time, that is, the older one is the longer recovery will take. I think that physical condition (and mental/emotional attitude) is more an indicator of recovery time than age, and the optimum balance of adequate rest and...
  14. M

    THR Pain at 5 months

    I'll be 1 month this coming Friday. Physically I'm pretty much in the same place as where I was with the first THR at this point in the process. That's a meaningful comparison, as is progress from one day to the next. Comparing myself with others, not so much. Emotionally the first THR was a...
  15. M

    THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

    Day 21 - 3 week recap. Chart: Painkillers vs. mobility Notes: 1. Only painkiller self administered wasTylenol Extra Strength 500mg tabs. However, anesthetic packed into wound allowed essentially pain free mobility for the first 3 days, hence the high miles. Blissful. 2. Meralgia...
Back
Top Bottom