Recent content by keith55

  1. keith55

    TKR Heterotopic Ossification after TKR

    Thanks for this, Janet. I went back through my medical reports and I did find one about 18 months ago where I reported similar symptoms and that seemed to be a HO flare up not TKR loosening. Also the heat and pain is on the side of the knee (front outside) where the HO is. Would a TKR loosening...
  2. keith55

    TKR Heterotopic Ossification after TKR

    For a while I thought things were getting better with the HO but I'm wondering if some too aggressive exercising has set me back (going up flights of stairs repeatedly). I find going up a lot easier as going down step over step catches the HO and is painful so I single step downstairs. The TKR...
  3. keith55

    TKR Heterotopic Ossification after TKR

    I had a successful left TKR in May 2013 but for a while now have had constant swelling, redness and pain below the knee and on the outside of the leg. This has been diagnosed by X-ray and CT scan as Heterotopic Ossification (HO) or bone growth in soft tissues outside the skeleton. I saw the...
  4. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    Thank you NightQuilter for taking an interest. I think it's good advice about exercising the quadriceps though I won't be doing any more step-ups - at least for the time being. However, I noticed the instability starting while I was still doing quadriceps exercises (inc step-ups). The...
  5. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    According to the national joint registry, 90% of primary TKRs last at least 20 years before being replaced i.e. revised I was wondering is that 20 years figure for trouble free experience? Looking for cases where people have had at least 20 year's use of their TKR on the Internet is proving...
  6. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    Thanks Pumpkin - very informative
  7. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    This is more of a general question about instability or giving way of a knee. What is actually happening when a knee feels like it is giving way? Is it the prosthetic itself (which Mr Gosal and the radiologist say seems secure) or is it something to do with the muscles, tendons or ligaments...
  8. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    I meant replying to a letter I write.
  9. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    I saw Mr Gosal yesterday morning. He will send me a letter shortly (and to my GP) He thinks the possibilities are: 1. Problem with the plastic spacer between the metal parts 2. Aseptic loosening 3. Infection though he thinks this unlikely but must be checked He doesn't think it's a loose body...
  10. keith55

    TKR Things to know before surgery

    I bought a trolley with two trays which acts as a walker and a carrier e.g. meals on top tray and books and kit on the lower tray - invaluable
  11. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    According to my GP it would be Aung to do the operation - though the NHS May 1 consultation might be cancelled. So I've booked a private consultation tomorrow with Gosal which means I'll be on his waiting list for a NHS operation and sooner than seing Aung in May. Now to work out what to say...
  12. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    Hi Jamie, I think the redness is slowly going away now I'm using a kitchen towel to protect my skin. It's a slow process though. Another request for wisdom: I googled the surgeon I'm due to see on May 1 (unless it's cancelled - a diabetes eye test on May 6 was cancelled). I found a worrying...
  13. keith55

    TKR Feel so alone

    Sounds like you had good advice Flash1955 - cut down on the physio and ice and elevate. Don't forget to spoil yourself and do what you like within your current temporary physical limitations.
  14. keith55

    TKR Feel so alone

    Hello Flash1955, Yes I tend to think most people here are Americans and they often seem to be told to do lots of physio. But the message from this forum I'm sure is good - just do the specified physio and the basics of life and the rest of time it's ice and elevate. Full recovery is a year. I...
  15. keith55

    TKR TKR problems after 6 years

    Thanks Celle. I've washed the sleeves and thanks for the tea towel suggestion. I'm using a warm face cloth and antiseptic cream on the redness. Yes it's red both sides of the incision: on the right further up and nearer the knee. I've found out my GP surgery is doing more telephone consultations...
Back
Top Bottom