Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Things to know before surgery

Joy1

Hi this might be overkill but I thought this might be a good idea. A little light but somethings I have learned having two knee replacements which I would like to pass on. I am sure others have suggestions.

The first you might have to use a walker for an extended period. It is hard to move around your home when you do not have two hands. Try to buy or have handy shorts or pants that have pockets so you can carry your phone, glasses, etc. I used an fanny pack if my pants did not have pockets. If you can it would be great to have a coat or vest which has a zipper so you do not have to worry about valuables when you go out. This would avoid having your husband carry your purse.

Reading anything other than light reading is hard when you are on pain meds. Have easy books like Danielle Steele, James Paterson, magazines handy. Word puzzles, can you the difference, adult coloring books keep your mind off you new knee. Research a couple of Amazon Prime or Nexflix series you might enjoy to easily put on.

I know everyone will have their input but wanted to share.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @Joy1

It was very thoughtful of you to start this thread. Thank you for that.

But I have moved it to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area, as I think it will be helpful to members who have yet to have their surgery.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You can also buy bags that attach to a walker to carry your stuff. I used mine for ice bottles for my ice machine, sandwiches and other wrapped foods, and so on. I also bought a flip down cup holder for my walker to carry my drink bottle back and forth when refilling it.
Most people can't concentrate enough to read, so it's a good idea to have lots of easy to watch TV on hand. I binge watched "Home Improvement" and a lot of other easy to watch sitcoms and similar. I had a lot recorded on my TV, and I also have Amazon Prime so could watch a ton of stuff there.

keith55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I bought a trolley with two trays which acts as a walker and a carrier e.g. meals on top tray and books and kit on the lower tray - invaluable

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom