Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Things to know before surgery

Joy1

Hi this might be overkill but I thought this might be a good idea. A little light but somethings I have learned having two knee replacements which I would like to pass on. I am sure others have suggestions.

The first you might have to use a walker for an extended period. It is hard to move around your home when you do not have two hands. Try to buy or have handy shorts or pants that have pockets so you can carry your phone, glasses, etc. I used an fanny pack if my pants did not have pockets. If you can it would be great to have a coat or vest which has a zipper so you do not have to worry about valuables when you go out. This would avoid having your husband carry your purse.

Reading anything other than light reading is hard when you are on pain meds. Have easy books like Danielle Steele, James Paterson, magazines handy. Word puzzles, can you the difference, adult coloring books keep your mind off you new knee. Research a couple of Amazon Prime or Nexflix series you might enjoy to easily put on.

I know everyone will have their input but wanted to share.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @Joy1

It was very thoughtful of you to start this thread. Thank you for that.

But I have moved it to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area, as I think it will be helpful to members who have yet to have their surgery.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You can also buy bags that attach to a walker to carry your stuff. I used mine for ice bottles for my ice machine, sandwiches and other wrapped foods, and so on. I also bought a flip down cup holder for my walker to carry my drink bottle back and forth when refilling it.
Most people can't concentrate enough to read, so it's a good idea to have lots of easy to watch TV on hand. I binge watched "Home Improvement" and a lot of other easy to watch sitcoms and similar. I had a lot recorded on my TV, and I also have Amazon Prime so could watch a ton of stuff there.

keith55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I bought a trolley with two trays which acts as a walker and a carrier e.g. meals on top tray and books and kit on the lower tray - invaluable

moondove

Country
Yes I love my pocket shorts!
Here’s my favorite ones on Amazon.
Latuza Women's Soft Sleep Pajama Shorts

1585607486294.png

I was unable to get comfy in my bed. I was more comfortable on the couch, head propped up with a couple of good size pillows, a cozy blanket, and my remote and other things within reach. An extension cord for my phone charger that I draped out of the way on the back of the couch.
Anything that you can make a decision about pre surgery, do it. I didn’t think straight for a couple of weeks, even though I felt like i was. Definitely plan on some Netflix!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
This is the type of shorts I wore in my recovery too. They are comfortable and work great.

Please, if you decide to purchase items like this through Amazon, please register for the Smile.Amazon program so that Amazon donates a portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. It's painless for you and really helps us! You can use Smile.Amazon for any purchases....not just items related too your surgery. We appreciate any support you can provide to keep BoneSmart up and running for those who need us. When you register, you will need to list our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM).

pamsknees

Country
Some of my favorite things for recovery:
My ice machine ( mine is Breg polar) - it’s been the best for pain & swelling)
I was in need of a new bed so decided to splurge & get an adjustable bed. Great decision! I’ve slept comfortably in my bed from the time I came home. Mine was ordered on amazon ( Sven & sons)
I got a front wheel walker with a seat - the seat works great for transporting things & I also attached a bag to the front of it.
Grabber - works wonderfully to pick up dropped things & in getting dressed that 1st few weeks.
The month before surgery I cooked a lot of my favorite meals in large batches & vacuum sealed & froze single serving batches. I have well over a months worth of my favorite meals ready to microwave.
An area set up next to recliner. I have a small table set up next to it so I can have snacks, travel mug, camera ( I’m into photography & have bird feeders just outside the window), iPad & a small electric blanket ( with ice machine on knees, it feels nice to have warmth on the rest of me)
Bedside commode - I got a 3 in one - can be used next to bed which was great that 1st few days, can be over toilet & as a shower seat.
I think everything I got ( other then ice machine from hospital & recliner) was ordered on amazon.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Prior to my surgery a friend suggested that I buy a toilet seat raiser, at the time I laughed it off..2 days after coming home from surgery my husband had to rush off and buy me one- as my toilets were too low and getting on and off was impossible, it was a life saver nick named "the throne" I used it for a good 4-5 months easy to install.

Country
A small item to add to the list: plastic square baskets - I had two one about 10 X 5 to keep my vitamins in. Another one a bit bigger to keep my meds, remote controls, phone charger cables, hair stuffs, hand creams, reading glasses etc. at arms reach without having to get out of bed, or keep on the table by the bed. Prevented things falling out of the bed. Or worse under the bed ... :thud:... !

Shewolf38

Country
The baskets are a MUST. I put my meds, baby wipes, washcloth, among other things it them for easy reach. I also suggest getting a leg lifter. I used my dog's leash. I had a long one, so I folded it in half and put it around my foot to assist with lifting my leg up onto the couch/bed and to lower it gently down to the floor. I only needed it for a week or so, and then only after PT. It only took one time for my husband to "help" me lift my leg to put my foot on the floor, only to drop it because he didn't know that I wasn't able to bend my new knee very far and that my thigh muscles were basically useless for the first day or so. That pain from dropping it made me cry out (the only time I've ever done that) and it scared the :censored: out of him. LOL

SpaceGirl

Country
Get the hand grips that go on your walker if you don't have them already. I got the padded ones like this:
1589769620351.png

Loved and still use my husband pillow:

1589769528442.png

This stand alone toilet, but just use the frame for our standard one, gave me handles and a lift:

1589769452433.png

Oh I have some ice packs similar to this that my daughter got from her labrum surgery and they are wonderful!

1589769269971.png

I bought a lounge doctor pillow, but I wish I hadn't. It was to much of an incline for me and hurt, so try regular pillows first! I will think about the other stuff and see if I can remember what else I used or needed. I watched a lot of tv, didn't really read, but did do some adult color pages. Once I was able to move better, I had friends stop by to visit, we played scrabble etc. Also had a meal train for every other day, that helped my husband for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Thanks, SpaceGirl. You'll notice that I've removed the Amazon links you posted for these great items. While we love our BoneSmarties to shop Amazon and think you can find great values there, we prefer people to go through their smile.amazon.com/ program that benefits non-profit organizations like BoneSmart. It costs you nothing to sign up and use, but Amazon will donate a portion of ANY purchase you make to us. Just be sure when you sign up for the program you designate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research In Medicine, Inc. (FARM), as the beneficiary.

Although small, these and all donations help us maintain BoneSmart to help people around the world with their joint issues. We depend on the generosity of our BoneSmarties to allow us to continue this work we love so much. Helping people is our passion!

SpaceGirl

Country
@Jamie thanks, sorry about that! I will make sure not to post amazon links anymore, that is good to know about the smile program for bone smart, I have used it in the past for other organizations to help them out too. I will remember bone smart is listed too!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It's no problem, SpaceGirl. I just wanted you to know why I made the changes to your post and to alert you to Amazon's program. Glad you already knew about it. So many people don't and it is a really wonderful way to help organizations you want to support.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ladyk
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom