Recent content by joemz

  1. joemz

    TKR Its been worse than childbirth! Did I make the right decision?

    kneegone, today is exactly 9 months from bilateral knee replacement surgery, and things definitely improved significantly over the last few months. I can walk without any pain, usually forget to walk steps reciprocally (but I can). If I wear tight socks I get a swollen ridge line at the top of...
  2. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Pain and severe stiffness after long drive

    Had BTKR exactly 6 months ago, and on Monday had a followup visit with Xrays. Surgeon and radiologist say that the prosthetic is in good shape I have no pain, no swelling, heat or drainage. But lately the left knee seems stiffer than prior, and stiffer than right I can do steps reciprocal...
  3. joemz

    Bilateral scheduled for Sept 29. Glad I discovered this forum!

    Maggie, your question on whether i'm back to any physical pursuits is interesting? Sadly, I'm not and I'm not totally sure why. Part of it is that for 10 years i did nothing and now I'm afraid i'll get hurt if i try to exercise, but i'm not concerned about the new joint getting hurt. Just the...
  4. joemz

    Bilateral scheduled for Sept 29. Glad I discovered this forum!

    Maggie, today is 24 weeks since surgery, and I'm glad I did it. There is NO joint pain, and i'm pretty much not aware of the JOINT. I'm not on any painkillers, not even tylenol. I had two weeks of inpatient rehab and 30-40 outpatient visits, and they were necessary. Range of Motion is good...
  5. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Pain and severe stiffness after long drive

    Thanks everyone. From years of knee pain, and decades of ankle pain and arthritis, i basically do an odd breast stroke that barely involves the legs. i think they sort of come along for the ride. so at the beginning i'll get some upper body workout, and then try to migrate to a normal breast...
  6. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Pain and severe stiffness after long drive

    I'm 18 weeks post BTKR and pretty happy despite still having some swelling of the knees. Has anyone found that lap swimming is a good therapy?
  7. joemz

    TKR Its been worse than childbirth! Did I make the right decision?

    a week prior to surgery i asked the ortho's nurse what kind of new knees i would get. She said Smith and Nephew, but the exact model and size would be determined in the OR. She said that one of the releases i signed was to allow the manufacturers rep to be in the OR, and she said that the rep...
  8. joemz

    Bilateral TKR I made it

    Congratulations on your BTKR. I had mine done June 30, so today is 4 months. It was definitely worth it, even considering that the first 3 weeks were terrible. I'm just curious if I read your post right. You had surgery on 10/15 and will be driving next week? That is amazingly fast, at...
  9. joemz

    How to handle stairs?

    i had bilateral TKR, spent 3 days in hospital and 2 weeks in rehab hospital. I live in a two story colonial with bannisters and the PTs advised I get handrails on both sides of stairs, and grab bars in bathrooms and showers. I'm 17 weeks post surgery and still glad i installed the hand rails
  10. joemz

    TKR Advice Please

    I never had the severe full body spasms that you have, but for about a week after bilateral TKR I had very severe, and random, chills that would shake me all over. My hemoglobin was very low, 7 something, and that was causing the chills/shakes and fatigue. They had me go back to the hospital to...
  11. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Meewee's New Knees

    MeeWee, your post reminded me of how "not fun" the first few weeks are, but it'll change quickly Pretty soon the crutches will not be as much for support as they will be for reassurance when you're frightened that you can't walk without assistance. Not yet, but soon I'm now at +15 after BTKR...
  12. joemz

    Knee brace after TKR?

    Having had bilateral tkr 13 weeks ago everything I've done has been to increase flex and extension and get the joint moving. It would seem a brace is contrary to that goal Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
  13. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Pain and severe stiffness after long drive

    Consumer Reports just issued a report on 5 Physical Therapy Treatments you probably don't need. This was a sidebar to that article What about hands-on therapy? Your physical therapist will probably spend considerable time poking, prodding, and pushing you, sometimes in ways you wish she...
  14. joemz

    Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

    my btkr was two months before yours. Walking, driving, no pain pills. Still in twice weekly outpatient, which is invaluable wait until outpatient rehab puts you on the stationery bike. Sure looks easy, but it t'aint :) Sounds like you're doing great, congratulations
  15. joemz

    TKR Left knee, 5wks out--sleep issues

    i'm now 13 weeks out from a bilateral tkr, sleeping "ok", and no more drugs Until about week 7 I had a hard time staying asleep despite oxy, and i realized it wasn't pain that was waking me up. it was the swelling of both knees, and after about 4 or 5 hours regular nighttime movement would...
Back
Top Bottom