Recent content by Jayla

  1. Jayla

    TKR AG TKR new knee

    I am at 9 weeks post op. I use a hand held massager on the soft tissue of my legs especially on the IT band since that is very tight. I also do better with heat so I use a warm rice bag on the soft tissue to relax my muscles/tendons before I stretch to work on ROM.
  2. Jayla

    TKR DebCoz's recovery thread<

    Thanks @donnag1108. I felt like I had a slow start but now making noticeable progress. I think I will try to go back to work half-days after 8 weeks. Possible even to stay with half-days for 4 weeks so I can still get in an afternoon nap because I still seem to really need those!
  3. Jayla

    TKR DebCoz's recovery thread<

    Good job DebCoz. I will be 6 weeks on Tuesday post op Bilateral. I have not given up my pain meds yet as I find that it helps me work through my ROM better. I take only one oxy a day and I take that before bed so I can sleep. One thing you might want to consider is to use two or more pain meds...
  4. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    It certainly is a process. I finally feel like I am moving in the right direction. Unfortunately we have 2 feet plus of snow on the ground and the temperature here is 4 degrees Fahrenheit so getting outside for a little walk around the block is out of the question. If we had a big mall nearby, I...
  5. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    Thanks for your replies. I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow and just came back from PT. (By the way, I read them the riot act that I am not going to let them hurt me.) My angles were both knees 0 degrees on extension and 100 degrees flexion. My therapist was very happy with the result and so am I. I...
  6. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    Thoughts on icing. Initially, ice was my best friend to manage pain. However, early on, I felt that the ice was making my knees stiff and I felt like icing made it harder to bend and straighten my knees. I was reading up on icing and found multiple articles talking about how the inflammation...
  7. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    How can I cut my toenails after a bilateral knee replacement? Should I go to a nail salon? I am worried about infection. Thanks.
  8. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    New question. Tuesday 1/8 I will be 3 weeks post op. My OS gave me a hard time about giving me another prescription for pain meds so I have made an appointment to speak to my primary care doc to see if she will work with me and continue to give me pain meds. I am taking (3) 5 mg oxycodone and...
  9. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    Hungry? I have no desire to eat anything. The only thing I am mildly interested in is fruit. My husband is doing a great job of cooking and he is providing a variety of different meals which I feel like I am forcing myself to eat. So I am eating but it’s a struggle. I don’t feel nauseous or sick...
  10. Jayla

    Welcome to the December Supernovas' 2018 Knee Recovery Club

    I was reading today about how PT will rub your scar in a perpendicular fashion to break up the scar tissue beneath the surface of the wound. This sounds like it would hurt. Should I allow PT to do that to me? Will the layers of skin naturally separate from each other without doing this? Is this...
  11. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    Hi folks. New question. I was checking around on the internet for swelling reduction ideas, like eating ginger, and I came across a website that was giving medical advice as to the do’s and don’ts after knee replacement surgery and one of things they recommended was using heat on the muscles...
  12. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    Maybe I had my response numbers out of order but the “geez should I be doing that stuff now?” Was referring to the housework question. Anyway I think you figured it out. I am doing stairs now. I face the banister and go down one step at a time. I do the same going up. I was a little nervous...
  13. Jayla

    TKR DebCoz's recovery thread<

    I am at 2 weeks and 3 days and when I saw my OS 2 days ago she grudgingly gave me a prescription for 30 5mg oxy’s. I had been taking 4 a day spacing them out along with Tylenol and gabapentin which really is only 6 days of Oxy. So I am cutting back to 3 a day to get a little longer out of it...
  14. Jayla

    Bilateral TKR Massage?

    For some reason I have a green banner that says “bilateral PKR”. It should say “ bilateral TKR”. Not sure who fixes these things.
  15. Jayla

    I am terrified and have delayed TKR surgery for 5 years. Please Help.

    Hi Andiegirl. Here is my two cents. I suspect the open wounds are painful. If so, you are dealing with that pain every day. You are also dealing with the loss of independence being wheelchair bound which to me is “painful.” I don’t know why the great fear, but I can tell you that I was also very...
Back
Top Bottom