Recent content by hipvan

  1. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Now 5 weeks post op. Walking with one stick or crutch outside and without either in the house. I’m being held back a bit by pain around the wound which gets worse after activity. I had the practice nurse look at the scar a week ago and she found a small stitch remainder (see my previous...
  2. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks for the encouragement SurreyGirl! I’m really not very brave, just lucky (so far) I think. The icing really is a great comfort, especially when I get into bed at night. I put a cool pad under my knee or over my thigh and it is as good as pain meds. Or even better really.
  3. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Had my stitches out today. Now 100% more comfortable! I’m not entirely sure that the practice nurse knew what she was doing (continuous stitches are notoriously difficult to remove correctly; I know as I’ve done it in the past!). Now sitting on a bench in the park in glorious sunshine...
  4. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks for the icing reminder Mojo - just off to do it now!
  5. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    A better night thank goodness! Had my first shower yesterday, which was very therapeutic until I dropped the soap halfway through! I think I’ll have to secrete a spare somewhere in the cubicle. A quiet day today with no visitors expected, a chance to do a slow-mo tidy up. Hip now painless...
  6. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Well, I was doing pretty well, but it looks as if I am going to bruise badly again. My operated leg is swollen, stiff and sore - so an interrupted night in spite of elevation and icing. The knee is so stiff I can barely bend it. All a bit disappointing. On the other hand I don’t have as...
  7. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Wow REM. That’s quite an achievement, just one month apart! I though I was doing well at 7 months. It’s hard not to overdo it, I think did too much after 8 weeks and the soft tissue on my first hip replacement can still be quite tender at times. Post op pain can be a mystery; it was one of...
  8. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    First night at home was better than I expected- such a relief to get off the hospital mattress! No bruising so far - that was a real nightmare last time. I’m not so well prepared for post op this time, I think the novelty has worn off; Today, I will have to read my hip booklet properly as...
  9. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks mojo! Progress seems par for the course and I’m better prepared this time. I’m now on oxynormal (?) A low dose which seems OK so far, with an anti emetic. The staff here at the hospital have been lovely but very busy and I shall be delighted to be back at home soon. I’m glad I...
  10. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Left hip done under spinal and light sedation yesterday. So I heard all the hammer and tongs during the op! Fascinating. Now on ward but not really mobile yet as the pain when walking made me nearly pass out. I’m not good with opiates but will have to try something. Lovely nursing staff...
  11. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks for the encouragement!! At least this time round I know what to expect and will be more specific in my requirements. I had a good meeting with the surgeon and managed to get across my problem with opiates and the extreme nausea they cause me. He made some helpful suggestions, so...
  12. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Now on the list for left hip replacement on 24 April. Although it’s always possible that the date may be changed! Pre op on 12th.
  13. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks for tidying me up Mojo! Now 7+ weeks post op. All going well now that the extensive bruising has mostly faded. I’m walking well at home and think that the leg length is pretty spot on. Outside I’m walking quite long distances (including up and down the steep hill) but need a stick...
  14. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Thanks for your encouragement - just to confuse everyone, I ended up having the right hip replaced (at the very last minute!). The hospital even managed to get it wrong on my discharge letter. I’m getting the hips a bit muddled up myself now...
  15. hipvan

    THR Hipvan's recovery thread

    Post op appointment went OK I think! My surgeon said I must be making a good recovery as I was walking well on coming in to his consulting room. I go back to see him in 6 months to discuss what to do with the other hip. Now I’m more active it is certainly playing up. I’ve upped the...
Back
Top Bottom