Recent content by HappyCatTX

  1. HappyCatTX

    Making Final Decision on Ice Machine---Pros/Cons

    In the hospital they used one after my TKR surgery. Once I was discharged next day, they provided one for me. They did that for all the patients having TKRs. Worked great. I LOVE IT. If they don't provide one, buy one. Is of great help.
  2. HappyCatTX

    TKR automatic or adjustable elevation on couch with ottoman

    I had total knee replacement surgeries in March and June 2018. The lounge doctor help. Know, the reason for my reply is to remind you to elevate. As they say here, elevate/ice/rest. You need to elevate to prevent and reduce swelling? Flat in bed, or having the leg horizontally in a...
  3. HappyCatTX

    TKR TKR Hospital Cost

    My TKR recovery is going very well after two and a half weeks after surgery. On the other hand, now I am having several gout flare ups in the operated knee. Checked with the surgeon and he would like for me to keep taking the aspirins (twice a day, 325 mg, for the next two weeks), that this...
  4. HappyCatTX

    TKR Tightness in back of leg, very tight around knee<

    Consider a TENS stimulator to waken The PT applied TENS during my recovery sessions and it helped to waken up muscles. During my second knee surgery, a different PT also suggested to use or apply TENS. You can get one at AMAZON or any other store for less than 50 bucks. There is a lot of...
  5. HappyCatTX

    Being Assertive Re: PT

    I initially got in-home PT which I greatly enjoyed, he took me slowly thru the healing moving process. Slowly building up exercises, teaching how to go up and done stairs, taking longer walks. Later I went to outpatient and they slowly increased the exercises, ROM improved and pain levels went...
  6. HappyCatTX

    How to Shower Early Days

    In my case the surgeon/hospital used some kind of "surgical dressing" (not a bandage) that they say was water proof. The instructions were to keep it for 7 days, and at the end to peel it off. It look like a 10 inch by 2 inch long band aid. And it worked perfectly, it did not get stuck to the...
  7. HappyCatTX

    TKR Wedge

    I also got a Lounge Doctor. I am getting ready for a 2nd TKR and looking forward to use it. But use the Lounge Doctor or pillows, the point is that you will need to elevate. Elevate, elevate, elevate or you will get a lot of swelling in your leg. I found that the most important good advice...
  8. HappyCatTX

    Ice machine or gel pack?

    My hospital provided me with an ice machine after my first TKR and it works great!!! Works great because you fill the machine with ice and water and it will run or last for 24 hours. No need to keep going back to the freezer for more ice cubes, frozen peas, change ice packs, etc. You can even...
  9. HappyCatTX

    TKR TKR Hospital Cost

    Thanks, I am contacting my insurance company.
  10. HappyCatTX

    TKR TKR Hospital Cost

    Yes because at 65 registered for that, Part A. But I am still working, employer provides a good private health insurance plan, I am not collecting Soc Sec yet. I understood my health insurance is the one that pays until I retire.
  11. HappyCatTX

    TKR TKR Hospital Cost

    Had my TKR in 2018, went to the hospital one day, had the surgery in the morning and discharged the next day. It was uneventful, no complications, all went very well, very happy with the results. But the hospital bill is over $153K thousand (US Dollars). Do this sounds reasonable? Read that...
  12. HappyCatTX

    2nd TKR in near future? Reality check please.....

    I am not sure about cortisone, but for things like the hyaluronic injections, my doctor in Spain suggested that these are good for temporary relief, e.g. for emergency cases, like if you have to attend a wedding that could not miss. But is just temporary. He recommended I get a TKR (after...
  13. HappyCatTX

    Hospital stay

    I had surgery on Monday morning, that evening they got me out of bed to take a few steps in the room. Next morning out of bed for a few more steps in the hospital floor, and by noon of the 2nd day I was sent home. They sent me home with a walker and an ice therapy machine, something that I...
  14. HappyCatTX

    When to do the second TKR

    I am in Texas, but in December I had MRIs and X-rays of both legs done in Spain. Checked with several doctors there (Madrid and Mallorca). They say both knees were bad, both knees needed TKRs, it was a 4 out of 4. I had my first TKR done March 5 in Dallas. After 9 weeks I finished PT and...
  15. HappyCatTX

    On to the 2nd one!

    Also going on to a second one in June 18, got the first one in March 5, 2018. Was not a bad experience as I initially imagined. Advise from this website was very helpful! Specially the elevate!. Wish I will have done this surgery sooner. And highly recommend an ice therapy machine.
Back
Top Bottom