BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

2nd TKR in near future? Reality check please.....

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Laurenkate, May 13, 2018.

1. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

United States United States
    Good morning/evening everyone. I had my left knee replaced January, 2017. Surgery was fine; recovery was as expected but I developed peripheral neuropathy in that leg shortly before surgery and most of that leg from the knee down either feels like it's asleep or it's tingling and there are little ants carrying flaming spears running and down the nerves. In addition, arthritis is settling in so basically my left leg, ankle, foot and toes are swollen and feel fairly miserable all the time.

Now my right knee is bone on bone and has been rapidly deteriorating for the past 6 months. When I saw the surgeon in March, he gave me the choice of having cortisone and putting surgery off until July or having the surgery done then. Went with the cortisone shot because I had things to do but now I need to decide shortly if I'm going to schedule surgery in July.

This sounds like Wendy Whiner but I don't know what to do & don't understand why the decision is so hard. The right knee isn't quite as bad as the left was when it was replaced - but it's painful, walking is becoming harder, sleep is elusive, and i'd rather stay home than do anything except the most basic and necessary errands. The answer's obvious; but I don't know why this decision is so difficult. My family thinks July is the time to do it and are very supportive, but for the first time in my life, I've turned into a complete dithering mush brain who can't come to grips with this.

Just wondering if anyone else went through this when considering a second tkr. Was there anything (besides extreme pain) which made you snap out of it and just go ahead with the surgery? As usual, thanks for any suggestions; it will be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lennie

lennie member

I had mine done 9 weeks apart. I think a part of you is worried about neuropathy again. Life is too short. Don’t wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree with Lennie, don't wait, you have a life to live.
    Take the score chart (link below), your score will let you know just how limited your life has become.
    We all think, "oh, maybe it will heal", when of course it only gets worse.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

4. Needhope

Needhope senior

You should read my thread. I had bone on bone with my first Tkr but my left knee overcompensated and took the brunt of the recovery from first which left me with a choice to make because of quick deterioration . If you have a support system in place, that’s a huge blessing. Knees don’t fix themselves once they’re shot. Wishing and hopeful thinking does not work. It’s an individual decision of course, and not an easy one to make. I’m sending you good thoughts and only you will know when the right time is. But it sounds to me that you’ve crossed your T’s and dotted your I’s already. Peace and blessings

• Like Like x 1
  5. HappyCatTX

HappyCatTX junior member

I am not sure about cortisone, but for things like the hyaluronic injections, my doctor in Spain suggested that these are good for temporary relief, e.g. for emergency cases, like if you have to attend a wedding that could not miss. But is just temporary. He recommended I get a TKR (after looking to MRIs and X-rays). I got my first TKR in March 2018 and going for the second one in June 2018 (in Dallas, TX). I agree with Lennie and Pumpkin, don't wait. Good luck!!!!!

6. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

Thanks for the responses....maybe everyone is right and the numbness/swelling/arthritic pain in my left leg is clouding my judgment. Perhaps I should just focus on the fact that my new knee feels so much better than it did before surgery regardless of those other issues. Have to say I'd never be brave enough to have both knees replaced within 3-6 months of each other!

7. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

Just to give you another view point. My husband delayed 7 years between his total knees. I think that was too long to wait, but he was successful each time. It is a personal decision to weigh the pro and cons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I waited too long to have my right knee replaced. Consequently, I lost muscle power and I developed some ligament distortion. That made for quite a hard recovery.

I had my left knee replaced as soon as my surgeon said it was time. While recovery is never easy, I think my second recovery was easier than my first.

9. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

No two knees are the same. It's entirely possible that knee #2 will recover without a hitch.
    I dithered a bit about whether knee #2 was bad enough, because it wasn't as bad as the first one. But it really did need it and I haven't regretted it. Knee #2 is even better than the first knee for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

Oh Celle, I hope you're right about the recovery time. I waited a long time for the first replacement and don't want to make that mistake again. This is like what my uncle used to say about moving into an assisted living situation - that you really had to do it before you were ready!

11. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't get me wrong - complete recovery still takes a full year, whenever you have the surgery. But, I do think my recovery after my second knee was a little easier, maybe a little less painful.

I attribute that to several things:
    • Having the surgery before I had muscle deterioration and tendon distortion.
    • Having the surgery before the knee needed additional work done on it during surgery.
    • Having an excellent surgeon - not that my first surgeon was bad at all.

12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not just the second, the first as well!
    Me too! It's perfectly normal, my dear

I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)

13. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

Thank you Josephine; I'm going to read through all this again tonight. Just decided to take the plunge this afternoon and schedule the surgery for July. It's a bit of a relief to have a definite date so we have a deadline to get some things done around the house, etc. All of you are right; life is short. I'd felt like my left knee had just fully recovered and thought I'd have at least 2 years between surgeries. Oh well....it could be much worse. My poor husband retired at the beginning of this year and our dog tore his acl and had to have surgery 12 weeks ago. He had to be carried everywhere for 8 weeks and now my husband is going to have to deal with my surgery (again). It won't be surprising if he decides to ask for his old job back before this year is all over! Thanks again everyone.

14. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

This is a silly question but where do they put the tens unit? I mean, how do they position it? On the nerves or muscles around the knee?

15. Josephine

16. Josephine

17. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

Thank you Josephine. I did read the article about the TENS unit and know you're a big fan. However, both physical therapists I've worked with discourage the use of them (after a knee replacement) for a variety of reasons. I love mine and use it on my ankles all the time but have been hesitant about using on my knee. Again, more variety of opinions from physical therapists!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    This article will explain:
    TENS machines for pain management

19. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

Yes, Celle, thank you. I was curious if BeesKnees therapist suggested an alternative placement because my p.t.'s discouraged use of the TENS unit. At the time, I didn't ask why but will certainly do so after this next tkr.

20. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    You can use the TENS unit in other places than the knee. It's just the placement of the leads that is important; they should be placed as the image shows.
    I've heard of people using the TENS for pain in the thigh, in which case it would be placed on the thigh, over the area causing pain.