Recent content by gzuckero

  1. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    First, thank you for merging my threads - I could not find the first one for the life of me! Answers to your questions above: 1. Pain level has been a 4 - 7 depending on the day. If I do too much it will get to a 9 meaning I don't want to walk on it. 2. I was off all pain meds, but still have...
  2. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    So here I am 6 months+ into my recovery and I'm still having some struggles. Turns out if I stand for long periods, walk on hard floors for long periods or walk distances (1/2 mile or more) I end up crippled all over again. It doesn't appear to be my joint itself but rather the tendons or...
  3. gzuckero

    TKR Sleepless in Seattle

    Sorry for taking up all your space! Just saw your "weepy" post. It. Is. Ok. I'm telling you you are not alone! I wept like a baby because I hurt and I thought I should have already made more progress I wasn't sleeping. My husband got really worried. My doctor said to give it 3 weeks (I was in...
  4. gzuckero

    TKR Sleepless in Seattle

    I had insomnia so bad I thought I was going to go crazy. I talked to my doctor and he gave me Ambien. It helped a couple of times and then didn't do anything. Here's what worked for me....if you've had children, repeat the process of the first weeks after birth. Sleep when you can. A schedule is...
  5. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    12 weeks today and here's what I CAN do Work out with my trainer at the gym who has degrees in therapy re bad joints and bones. He pushes me hard but works with me by finding out how I feel that day and what hurts and what doesn't. Joints he cares about, muscles, well....he kinda likes it when...
  6. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    Just as a follow up, this issue finally cleared up after I quit drinking so much. Why you ask? At first yes it was the IV but also the constant thirst. It was from the morphine and OxyContin they had me on. (Confirmed with my dr). Makes you very thirsty AND you have an IV. Luckily my nurses were...
  7. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    This week attempting to keep the walking to a mile or less at work each day. Have not yet been successful. There is a component of needing to walk to keep the knee healthy and sitting all day doesn't help with that so stil trying to find the right balance. PT didn't go well Friday evening. Too...
  8. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    So, back to work I went this week. I wear a Fitbit and was able to track how much walking and how many steps and on day 1 put in 3 miles. My work building is huge and I had a lot of meetings. Needless to say by the end of the day I was exhausted, my knee had swelled prett significantly, and I...
  9. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    As of today I am 5 weeks post op. Left knee TKR. I've cut back pretty significantly on the pain meds. I've got a good bend (117 at last measure) and my extension is still difficult but I'm working on it (last was a 9). I do all of my walking around the house without aid now but use a cane if...
  10. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    I talked to my PT yesterday and yes, he says my IT band is cramping up. He showed me a stretch for it that I'm starting 3 times a day. No concerns just gotta stretch it out. He says sometimes as the nerves and muscles are coming back to life they get confused and can do some quirky things...
  11. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    So I will share that I was making a mistake that I didn't realize. I was really trying to get off the pain mess (because I hate them) and seems that I was consistently getting behind my pain. I've remedied that now. I have all of my mess scheduled and I take them on schedule regardless. It has...
  12. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    I've read all of your responses and can't thank you enough. I think sometimes just knowing that you aren't the only one in the world like this makes all the difference. I've got all the links above and am going to read all of them. Since I have the insomnia that's what I do, read everything I...
  13. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    I'm 47. Usually known to be tough as they come. I cry at least once a day because I feel like I failing. I also really don't sleep. Dr gave me ambien and it seemed to work the first couple nights but nothing now. I get cramps in my thigh and butt so bad I have to walk circles around the house...
  14. gzuckero

    TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

    I had my surgery (total knee replacement) this passed Tuesday, June 16. I have been having this issue since the very first night of surgery. The nurses were even somewhat surprised because it's not just a little tinkle; this is like I've been on a eight hour car ride with the husband! (He...
Back
Top Bottom