Recent content by Freyagirl

  1. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Home from Hawaii to a case of Covid. We are going through a long, cold spell in Minnesota. During my recovery I was out in bad weather and stumbled and landed hard on both knees. I was able to get back to my car and home and then realized I had really slammed the knees. I did my rest icing...
  2. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Hawaii. It’s wonderful. We’ve been here a a bunch of times starting in my 50’s. Well now my husband is over 80 and I’m close behind. Fixing my hips did not make me younger. I rented a VRBO with a great saltwater pool and a calm beachfront. BUT the condo parking is a block away up a hill. The...
  3. Freyagirl

    THR It's done (finally)!

    My surgeon told me that the driving was 50% confidence and 50% recovery of strength. When your head is ready your hip will be. Regarding your incision: I had both hips done 8 weeks apart. The incision on hip #2 had a big lump and a sort of twisted spot for months. Now, 9 months later, both...
  4. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Last year at Thanksgiving I was barely able to do anything around my house due to so much hip pain. After having both hips replaced I had a great holiday and am in the middle of readiness for replacing carpet in the main part of my house. Packing up knickknacks and dishes, moving small...
  5. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Back from my vacation I am getting a a lot accomplished. It’s a delight to be able to bend over, crouch down, run the vacuum, empty the dryer, carry laundry and grocery bags. I can shop in stores instead of online and easily go out for lunch. My sciatic nerve pain has quieted and my nerves...
  6. Freyagirl

    THR LTHR anterior - Recovery diary & waffle

    Have you tried no-tie elastic laces? You replace your regular laces with these and get them set for a nice fit. Then I pull the shoe tongue way out and slip my foot in. I use them in several different brands of tie shoes, can buy on Amazon.
  7. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    It’s been more than six months since the last of my two hip surgeries. I’ve had a bunch of ups and downs, literally. my age, and the length of time that I was unable to move comfortably before the surgeries has left me pretty weak. However little by little, I am gaining strength and getting...
  8. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Well drat. So much confidence after my knee injection and then boom. I was in line for check-in To a flight to Palm Springs and tripped over my luggage. A wheel chair got me to the gate and on the plane. Sitting squashed into the plane seat let the knee swell. However, over the week of...
  9. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    The knee injection continues to work and without that pain I find that I am doing really well. I’m back to getting in and out of chairs without even thinking about it and walking through the house very comfortably. I have gotten to work on some projects of cleaning out closets and other tasks I...
  10. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    I got an injection in my right knee and everything is better. My balance, the shuffle step, the tiredness - all better. My fall with the dogs aggravated my knee (fortunately not my new hip). So we will see how it goes over the next few months. For now I’m happy.
  11. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    I catch the toes of my shoes on stuff - bumps in the sidewalk, door jams, gravel. I need to lift my feet more when I walk. I have the old person shuffle. When I consciously avoid it I feel like I’m marching. I watched a friend whose hip was replaced 3 years ago and she does the same thing...
  12. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    The dogs are home, my trusty teenage helpers are back in school, and I have been working hard on my balance. my water aerobics class has started again and once again, I’m grateful for what amazing exercise it is and how much I enjoy all the company. Now that I’m not wrangling dogs all day my...
  13. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    Thanks to you all for suggestions and encouragement. Fortunately I have my laundry is on my main floor with my bedroom and kitchen so no stairs. This means that the new laundry cart with wheels works great to haul laundry and have no stairs. I had put a fluffy throw rug back in the bathroom...
  14. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    My strength is still lousy and my balance is poor. I’m 7 and 5 months out from having both hips done and getting frustrated that I still feel so tippy. I have to be very careful when I step over things (like dogs) and catch my toes on door jams and anything on the floor. I still have the throw...
  15. Freyagirl

    THR Happy to be past the surgery

    The dogs are back home, thank goodness! I tripped over Crazy Dog a couple times and tested my new hips which stood up to the impact. I was able to lift the rear end of Grandpa dog into the car several times and am proud to have some of my strength back. I did a massive amount of bending over...
Back
Top Bottom