Recent content by erichknipp

  1. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    Hi all! It has been a long time since I have logged in, mostly because my recovery has gone so well. I am nearly 3 months out and just about to finish my final PT appointment tomorrow. I'm doing great! I've gotten back into the habit of 10-15 mile daily bike rides, and I will resume...
  2. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    Work is fine, it’s just that 4 hours is gone before you know it. I manage a team of 23 (with help) so all I am doing in those half days is check in with the team and keep up with email. That’s really all there is time for.
  3. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    It has been awhile since I checked in. Relative to what I read on here I think that my recovery is going very well. We will be at 4 weeks tomorrow. I can walk 3000-4000 steps a day, extension is 0 and flexion is up to 114 as measured by the PT folks. I maxed out the CPM machine on my static...
  4. E

    Bilateral TKR Ice machines - opinions please.

    I tried this trick but it’s not as cold as using ice. Still works in a pinch.
  5. E

    Bilateral TKR Ice machines - opinions please.

    Hugely valuable. My two cents: - Get both the frozen gel pack and the polar cubes (you will probably want 2 of each given you're "ripping the bandaid off" with a bilateral TKR) - The frozen gel pack is more intense cold, but only lasts about 15-20 minutes. It is perfect for using after physical...
  6. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    Great but I have been out of the house daily to walk around the block, so not that unusual.
  7. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    Just got back from my post-op appointment. 90 degree bend! My surgeon liked my static stretching concept as well.
  8. E

    TKR Knee replacement post op issues

    I heard the same scar tissue concern from my surgeon. I think that this is pretty common guidance. While I think it is a good idea to bend it at least a little bit, but you don't need to be hyper-aggressive about it. Figure out the difference between discomfort and pain. When you're doing your...
  9. E

    TKR Let the Recovery Begin....

    I second the recommendation to get an icing machine. I have the Breg Polar Cube and it is well worth the $150 it cost. Ultimately it is just a bucket with a pump and hose in it attached to a flexible sleeve around whatever it is you're icing. But oh my does it work wonders. Plus if you have a...
  10. E

    TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

    What are the zaps? I have not had any zaps and my TKR was 2 weeks ago today. What exactly is it I have to look forward to here.. please tell us more!
  11. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    So, the last few days I have tried more "static" stretching rather than only doing the typical heel slides (I am still doing these). It occurred to me that heel slides are good, but you only spend maybe 30-60 seconds at the maximum bend of the stretch. I wasn't seeing ROM progress doing these...
  12. E

    TKR Gotta admit I’m scared!

    Back fusion is supposed to be way more painful. My pain from TKR is about what I expected, maybe a little better.
  13. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    I am so sorry to read about your rough experience. For one thing you've shown me that I need to set expectations with my PT very clearly - discomfort is OK, pain is not.
  14. E

    TKR Knee replacement post op issues

    welcome to the board and to recovery. I am just slightly ahead of you as I had right TKR on May 7. Short answer is you’re probably right where you should be. Your husband is right about keeping the leg straight to get in and out of bed. Try using your good leg to support the weight. For the...
  15. E

    TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

    Thanks, that’s helpful. I was able to get to 80-85 degrees this morning in PT with help.
Back
Top Bottom